• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Design our Icons

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-kf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I think the icons are a great (and necessary) idea. The only thing I have to say about this is I really hope the end result has a 1-2 word description embedded somewhere within the icon like the gray one in the picture. The visual cue is very helpful and if ANN only had 3-4 categories it wouldn't be a problem to not have words, but 10 is kind of a lot to remember. Without a brief printed description in the icon I think it will just end up looking like someone barfed up a bowl of Trix cereal onto the page. For the record, I don't eat Trix, it's all about the Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I kinda like the existing "news" icon since it matches the dot in the ANN banner.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
-kf wrote:
Without a brief printed description in the icon I think it will just end up looking like someone barfed up a bowl of Trix cereal onto the page.

Since I'll be entering this contest, I thought the same thing. One thing to note, though, the size in text has more of a negative impact than an icon without any text. People often have a hard time trying to read the thing amidst the "barf bowl" of colors.

I'll keep this in mind. I'm sure I'll be going through a variety of schemes and designs to see what works best at the 46x30 rectangle.
"Encyclopedia Updates" is going to be the killer here. Way too long, textually. Thus, a visual representation would be better suited.

Quote:
For the record, I don't eat Trix, it's all about the Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

I should point out the latter looks worse as vomit than the colored alternative.
Ew.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I actually already like those icons...except for the "Views (Columns & Editorials)" one. I wouldn't shed a tear if that one get the ax. I actually think it'd be cooler if each column had it's own icon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I actually already like those icons...except for the "Views (Columns & Editorials)" one. I wouldn't shed a tear if that one get the ax.

Agreed

Another one I dislike is Press Releases, PR reminds of Public Relations. Now press releases are a part public relations, but... yeah. =/
Miscellaneous... I'm kinda OK with it. But might be better if something else was used. But I don't know what.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
-kf wrote:
The only thing I have to say about this is I really hope the end result has a 1-2 word description embedded somewhere within the icon like the gray one in the picture.

The icons will have a mouseover tooltip with the full name of the category which the icon represents. And I should point out that the gray icon in that picture is for "Misc." while the text below it is "anime". These two elements are separate; every article will be displayed with an icon (News, Interest, Review...) and a topic (anime, manga, games...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
-kf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
The icons will have a mouseover tooltip with the full name of the category which the icon represents. And I should point out that the gray icon in that picture is for "Misc." while the text below it is "anime". These two elements are separate; every article will be displayed with an icon (News, Interest, Review...) and a topic (anime, manga, games...)

I guess that makes sense, I'm sure the mouseover will work fine. It probably would have helped people making these to have this information(mouseover category name and seperate topic name) from the start so they could plan accordingly.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
The icons will have a mouseover tooltip with the full name of the category which the icon represents.

This just made my work 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times easier! Bye-bye, useless text!
Twisted Evil
_Snooze_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
Mmm...

Quote:
Entry Deadline: 23:59 (11:59 PM), July 19, 2009, EST

Confused
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
_Snooze_ wrote:
Mmm...

Quote:

Confused

Ooops. How about I extend the contest by a year ?
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
_Snooze_ wrote:
Mmm...

Quote:

Confused

Ooops. How about I extend the contest by a year ?

People in my mom's office do that all the time when sending mass emails.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I am sure a lot more people will participate now that you have prizes. I made a thread about this on the forum I use since there is a lot of talented people who can probably make some good ones.
Kimyo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
??? It says 10 icons, but I only see 8... is there something wrong with my monitor?
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Kimyo wrote:
??? It says 10 icons, but I only see 8... is there something wrong with my monitor?

Look again, there is definitely 10 icons.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
I only see 8 as well...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9