• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Eldred Scrolls

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I can see why you skipped the static stuff. At first, it sounded like one of your fun digital voice modifiers.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Bummer, I'd have loved to have heard y'all's thoughts on Toradora and Kannagi...

I love those shows. Anime catgrin

Last edited by neocloud9 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Zac say he loved Occult Academy? I personally think the summer season is surprisingly good this year.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I actually wouldn't of minded hearing that bit about the summer anime season. Shit happens, though. Confused
SoandSo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Seven Jesus figures, beaten by society, must band together, and only through friendship and their own manliness can they survive." (sic)

I'm guessing Rainbow.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I thought I heard staticy Justin saying something about "surrounded by seven Jesus figurines," so I can simultaneously understand why that didn't make it in but I'm still really curious as to what you guys were talking about. Razz
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Netflix has most of Mobile Suit Gundam, missing 2nd and 10th DVD's.

If the first three movies are a good launch pad, that would be interesting to look into whether there are streaming rights available.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Lots of talk about Gundam in this episode... I've been toying with the idea of checking out 08th MS Team, since it comes so highly recommended. But will it make sense without watching all of Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta, etc?
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I think Votoms is one of the few CPM titles that was never rescued but deserves to be
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:
Quote:
"Seven Jesus figures, beaten by society, must band together, and only through friendship and their own manliness can they survive." (sic)

I'm guessing Rainbow.

No, no, no, no. Clearly, he's talking about Strike Witches 2.

This show is really motivating me to start Gundam and LotGH. Thank for the podcast.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it seems like a I have the same tastes this guy does, so of course, he must be a man of great sophistication.

I wish there would be a proper release of the original Space Battleship Yamato TV series. I've become a huge fan of the show thanks to the the movie boxset, which is awesome, and I love the job Voyager Entertainment did in putting all kinds of extras on those discs, with the translated program guides and other thins to look through, but I long for a Yamato TV release, for all three shows. And perhaps some day the live-action movie.

In fact, I have more faith in the live-action Yamato than the Rebirth movie. Honestly, after Final Yamato, they really didn't need a new chapter.

The comic Voyager's been hosting on their website is excellent, though, even if it's a Starblazers comic. It fills in a lot of holes for that third series.

It's too bad CN used 9/11 as an excuse to stop airing Mobile Suit Gundam. The second airing during Adult Swim didn't get a full run, either. But it probably wouldn't have done well, regardless, because of its age. The original series is a true classic like Yamato.

What got me past the "barrier" for the original series was 08th MS Team. After a couple of episodes of 08th MS Team, I wanted to see what the deal was with the Federation and Zeon and began watching the original series.

By the way, I thought the English dub for that original series was excellent. They cheese it up a little bit, but it works.

You guys haven't finished Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Get to it, you won't regret it. It's the greatest anime epic I've ever seen.

I love Yoshiyuki Tomino. He's cranky and crazy, but he's my favorite anime director. He's directed more of my favorite anime than anyone else. But guys, Tomino had nothing to do with SEED or SEED Destiny. You have to "thank" the husband and wife team of Fukuda and Morasawa for those gems.

I remember Birth. Wow, was that weird.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
The offerings for the summer season are so lackluster I think I will pretend that it doesn't exist for the most part. I'm interested in Occult Academy, but I gotta see if the second episode holds up
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Personally I find the 80's to be overrated in Japan just as much as it is in America. I mean in Zeta Gundam, a guy decides to fist fight the SS in space because they thought that he was a woman because of his name.

Justin I suggest you watch the last two Tomino Gundam TV series, the second to last V Gundam, is theorized to be Tomino's attempt to kill Gundam due to how depressing it was. It was also the last tv series set in the UC universe. The last Gundam tv series he directed was Turn A Gundam, in which the Earth forces get all their mechs by digging for them which results in them just reusing mechas and Tomino brought in a mecha designer for America to make Turn A Gundam unmarketable for Bandai so they wouldn't profit from the series.

uh I hate to break it to you but the scene in Gundam Seed Destiny is between Logos who are war profiteers and they are talking about how they make all their money fron wars. The series revealed that Logos has manipulated the US into going to war by playing their hatred of Coordinators so they can build the weapons.

Also Tomino is credited in all Gundam series as the creator of the original Gundam, the only AU he worked on was Turn A Gundam.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Also Tomino is credited in all Gundam series as the creator of the original Gundam, the only AU he worked on was Turn A Gundam.

So it's kind of like how Bob Kane's name shows up on any Batman cartoons, comics, or movies, then.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
"At CPM we would got letters from prisons... about the hentai."
Funny Laughing

I was looking up Ryoyuske to see what else he's done. Some of the shows he's been involved in I've seen and liked. Blue Gender, Ronin Warriors, Rurouni Kenshin, and Samurai 7.

If Tim doesn't know already the Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy was re-released on DVD, and Gurren Lagann the Complete Collection (has a dub) is out too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5