• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Hints at Toradora! Manga License

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gokuthamonkeyking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
i don't trust seven seas anymore... everytime they license something, it takes forever for them to release it.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:
i don't trust seven seas anymore... everytime they license something, it takes forever for them to release it.

^this. I'm still waiting for the final Strawberry Panic light novel volume.

and if they're going to pick up Toradora!...at least pick up the light novel not the manga....<_<
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I tried to read scans of the manga, but it felt like it was moving at a crawl and really broke up the pacing of the story. It's probably a better read as a graphic novel, though.

But yeah, bring over the light novels instead!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
alexcampos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm not impressed, Toradora manga is NOT worth while.

The drawings are VERY bad, and the story doesn't come out so good.

Let's face it, Manga adaptations of Light novels are destined to fail.

Just look at Haruhi manga, once again the art is HORRIBLE, the way the story is presented is also bad. Why can't they get a good artist to draw, the light novels are very good, but the manga is tarnishing the good name of the series.

Anyways, Toradora manga is nothing to be excited about. Sad
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:

and if they're going to pick up Toradora!...at least pick up the light novel not the manga....<_<

They said that their light novel line completely bombed, so they would probably be losing money if they actually released the last Strawberry Panic novel. And that probably the same reason why they picked up the Toradora manga as opposed to the novels.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:

Let's face it, Manga adaptations of Light novels are destined to fail.

Just look at Haruhi manga, once again the art is HORRIBLE, the way the story is presented is also bad. Why can't they get a good artist to draw, the light novels are very good, but the manga is tarnishing the good name of the series.

Anyways, Toradora manga is nothing to be excited about. Sad

They were probably looking to make a buck as cheaply as possible. That's why a lot of manga adaptations of popular otaku series kind of suck...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuzaco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Eh? Why the manga? Propably one of the worst LN adaptations I've ever read. If you want to enjoy Toradora, read the novels or watch the anime.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:

They already said a long time ago that their light novel releases were put on hiatus indefinitely.
dungeondawg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

It looks like Japanese fans disagree with you.

If you look at the Japanese Amazon page, there are 21 reviews, that give it an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/とらドラ-1-電撃コミックス-竹宮-ゆゆこ/dp/4840242194/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279468716&sr=1-6

If you read the language like I do, the consensus by the reviewers is that the art is excellent and the story is great. Overall, they say it's a really good adaptation.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I've never really been interested in manga that are adaptations of something else. Now if they were to release the Toradora novels, THAT would be interesting. Until then (as if I'm holding my breath), I'll stick to the anime from NIS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:

They said that their light novel line completely bombed, so they would probably be losing money if they actually released the last Strawberry Panic novel. And that probably the same reason why they picked up the Toradora manga as opposed to the novels.

Not enough people buying light novels. People don't like to read just words anymore. Not enough "scanlations" of light novels instead. Laughing
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:

I agree with you.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:

That's for sure. I remember reading one series (via their website) and the print form took anywhere from several months to a year.

Three-four months is all right, but past six months is a little bit too long, just for one book. And one year is definitely a long time as well.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:

I know they do but I will put up with it just for Gunslinger Girl
Juhachi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:

This was my exact sentiment when I saw this news. They're just trying to jump on the Toradora bandwaggon and try to get some money out of this series, by licensing the least-liked media form of the franchise. Laughing

Seven Seas was good about 4 years ago, but they're old news now. I'm just hoping for something REALLY GOOD for the other two licenses. And by REALLY GOOD, I mean something like Aoi Hana by Takako Shimura. They've licensed yuri titles before, so this one should be right up their ally, and its pretty short too (4 volumes at present). I would die of happiness if anyone licensed that manga finally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2