• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Super Robot Wars' 2nd TV Anime Confirmed for Fall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
As long as Obari isn't allowed near the scripts and they have the budget to ensure the animation has all the panache he's famous for, this could be good.

And due to that, I'm interested in seeing how many episodes this'll be. I'd rather it be shorter and look good and cover less OG ground than be another long, ugly slog like the last series. The stills look nice, at least!
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
Is that 2D art? I really hope so, because the CG animation for Divine Wars was really lackluster and made what could have been an average series downright subpar.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mind the CG that much for the first series. Probably one of the better series in blending 2D and 3D elements. But I always prefer hand drawn over 3D so I hope its hand drawn this time around.

I think the thing that hurt the 1st series was the writing and pacing. Really slow in the beginning and awkward pacing in story and dailogue. Then all of a sudden they cram the rest of the OG story into the last couple of episodes.
W-General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
"The Inspector"...so does that mean they're cutting out Shadow Mirror? Einst?

I mean each enemy has their own merits to be included - Einst and Shadow Mirror are absolutely critical for Kyosuke and Excellen so they might take a back seat...?

This is all very interesting nevertheless. OG2 is definitely more interesting than OG1 in terms of story...but Inspectors are nowhere near as interesting as Shadow Mirror.

(edit: scratch that - I see Angelg = Lamia)

But having the Inspectors in there means we'll see some awesome Sanger and Dygenguar action...that stage vs. Vigagi is a classic
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Obari......I like some of his robot work, but while his characters look appealing, having Angelg with robo-nipples seems a bit...off.

Seems to be entirely 2D animation, and most of the mains, (Kyosuke, Excellen, Lamia, Axel) have a slightly different look than usual, typical Obari-ness.

It really kills me that OG1 and the OVA are so terribly expensive, I would love to have them. But since this is a robot show, chances of it hitting the states is -100....

Sad
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
W-General wrote:

"The Inspector" is the official subtitle of OG2 as of Original Generations
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
W-General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah just saw Axel in the other magazine scans.

Dang I am actually super excited for this....Soulgain!!!!! =D
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:
W-General wrote:

Which makes no sense as the main story for the game was taken from Super Robot Wars A, and Super Robot Wars Impact, while 3 was mainly a side show.

As for the first series, honestly I found it to be the second best recent mecha series (if your counting the two seasons of Gundam 00, and Code Geass as one series) just because while the animation was subpar, and they condensed the stories, they at least didn't constantly insult my intelligence.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Is that 2D art? I really hope so, because the CG animation for Divine Wars was really lackluster and made what could have been an average series downright subpar.

Magazine scans I found at SRW-G confirm that the mechas are going to be in 2D.

Also their is now a massive increase in nipples with both Excellen and Angel G having nipple bumps.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Geez. Pretty much everybody who wasn't in Divine Wars looks really bad. Bullet, Kusuha, Axel, Angelg...
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:

Magazine scans I found at SRW-G confirm that the mechas are going to be in 2D.

Also their is now a massive increase in nipples with both Excellen and Angel G having nipple bumps.

Keep in mind this is Obari we're talking about. That sort of "attention" to detail is one of his...err...specialties. Just look at how he designs human female characters...

Speaking of the man, the only signs you needed in the previous article were "refused work" and "Obari-san". Hopefully, he can actually churn out a respectable work here, since the last one--Gravion--was barely that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Geez. Pretty much everybody who wasn't in Divine Wars looks really bad. Bullet, Kusuha, Axel, Angelg...

Bullet and Kusuha where in Divine Wars, though I would disagree about Kushuha looking bad, Axel, Bullet, and Angel G are the three designs that look bad.

Though I will say that when will people stop letting Obari in charge of character designs, the guy is actually a pretty solid action director, and his mecha designs are usually not that bad, but the guy simply can not draw people with any real consistency, I mean you look at Kyosuke, and Excellen and they both look great, but Axel looks like a jewish stereotype, and I don't even know what they where trying to do with Bullet.

At least his improved since Gowcaizer.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
LuckyAstei wrote:
W-General wrote:

Which makes no sense as the main story for the game was taken from Super Robot Wars A, and Super Robot Wars Impact, while 3 was mainly a side show.

As for the first series, honestly I found it to be the second best recent mecha series (if your counting the two seasons of Gundam 00, and Code Geass as one series) just because while the animation was subpar, and they condensed the stories, they at least didn't constantly insult my intelligence.

Actually it makes quite a bit of sense with the final boss of the game the Einst Regressor, it referes to itself as an overseer so Inspector fits

also should note is that Advance's plot is actually minor compared to Compact2/SRW3's plot points in OG2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
Obari's work has been pretty hit or miss lately, hopefully he'll pull thru this time, too bad this and Mazinkaiser SKL has almost no chance of a R1 release.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
raithnor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping that the NA DVD release is less abusive than the SRW:OG DW NA release.

It's a shame there's no interest in localizing the OG PS2 games in North America at all. Release that with the series might move sales more. As it is they're only bothering to market to the Die-Hard SRW fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2