• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yen Press [2010-07-23]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machetecat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
No DRRR announcement? FOR SHAME

In all seriousness, though, I'm kinda excited about the online mangazine thing. Price isn't that bad, either. 2.99 a month is about $36 a year, which is about what I pay for 12 issues of Archie's Sonic comics.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
No DRRR announcement? FOR SHAME

I want my Durarara!! Light Novels and Manga!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Is "ghetto-ize" even a real word? Not bashing the article writer, but more confused at Yen Press.

More to the point, it's fairly obvious what ghetto means, but since the "ize" was added, exactly what does that mean? That it would cheapen the quality of the product?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Is "ghetto-ize" even a real word? Not bashing the article writer, but more confused at Yen Press.

More to the point, it's fairly obvious what ghetto means, but since the "ize" was added, exactly what does that mean? That it would cheapen the quality of the product?

Ghetto can apparently be a synonym for cheapened or impaired; basically the opposite of flourishing. I think he meant that a new imprint or label might take away their value as YP titles or cause an inconsistency somewhere in production. It's also possible he meant that it would create a rift or distinction with said imprint; it's not uncommon for BL imprints to be treated as separate entities. You'll notice how a few of them are constantly licensing BL, mostly one-shots.

So, basically I think they'd like to keep everything as a Yen Press title and avoid inconsistencies. They wont license a multitude of titles, but license when it seems best and produce it with the quality of their other titles.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I think he means that they won't put their BL "in the ghetto"-- that is, they won't relegate it to it's own category, marking it as different. I'm guessing their goal is to make those titles mainstream? I don't think it really has anything to do with quality.
(RE: "ghetto" meaning cheap in this case-- BLU has, in my experience, significantly higher production standards than Tokyopop's mainstream titles; so I doubt that's what the Yen rep meant.)
I dunno, I understand their thinking-- that sticking those titles in the BL ghetto sort of locks out anyone who isn't already in the know; but at the same time, they might be losing some of their built-in fanbase, as BL fans probably look for the special imprint to be assured they're getting specifically what they're looking for.
gorbal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
My guess is they don't wan't the series they pick up to be pigeonholed as BL, especially when they think it is something a person who might not like BL would enjoy.

Sure there are series that deserve such categorization due to their lack of anything else to recommend them; but Yen Press does not tend toward that material. (at least I think not)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1