• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! Special Edition Part V

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I thought this mighta been a Zetsuai spoof... Damn, that show was emo. Still loved it, though. Cool
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I had everyone in my group of friends watch Bronze: Zetsuai in high school (and that includes my male friends, lol). Those were some of my first fansubs. Ahh, the memories.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
This is probably my favorite Nina strip ever. So good to see it again. And my parents wonder why I never watch anime around them? It's for moments like THAT...
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
Y'know, sometimes grandparents can be the most open-minded people in the room about stuff like that. I think Grandma Rosa was making excuses to watch alongside the girls. Shocked
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
Hee! this one made me laugh. Laughing
MJP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
When does she show the highlight strip where Nina turned from a news elf into a generic otaku comic strip lead role/Piro lite?

Tastes great less massive melodramatic plot!
KariOhki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
My mom's always been tolerant of what I watch, though she found the wing-growing scene in Haibane Renmei (which she happened to look up at just in time to see) creepy. She's found a few shows she's liked since then, though (Ah! My Goddess and Valkyria Chronicles)
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I can relate to parents at moments such as that. I've long since given up trying to explain anything, and just let them either watch or leave.

I will protest if they create a distraction, though. Nobody interrupts me when I'm watching anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
heh, I liked this one a lot...

but explaining to parents? easy. You should try explaining some things to your kids...

like why I have so many anime about highschool? "Well it's at that time of your life that so many things suddenly change... I guess it's not too far to think of what would happen when the aliens invade while you are just old enough to drive, no? You already think that a pimple is the worst thing evar, what would happen if a robot showed up to kill you instead?"

as told to my 15yr old upon seeing RahXephon.

'Course that doesn't explain all the harem comedies... 'cough' dunno how I will explain them...

Last edited by ArthurFrDent on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
mckg1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I gatta say, this strip is one of my all time favorite ones.! Very Happy
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Hepzibah wrote:
Yeah, I can relate to parents at moments such as that. I've long since given up trying to explain anything, and just let them either watch or leave.

I will protest if they create a distraction, though. Nobody interrupts me when I'm watching anime.

Same here. Back when I lived with my parents the only way to explain anything to them was to show them, so if they happen to walk in at a particularly bad time, usually all it took was watching 5 more minutes.

I also get quite hardcore about people interrupting my anime marathons. Just last weekend I was marathoning some One Piece when my idiot downstairs neighbor started sharing the garbage he listens to with the whole block (AGAIN Evil or Very Mad ). He now is quite aware that I have an extensive collection of hardcore techno, a decent bass system, and carry a grudge Twisted Evil
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Hepzibah wrote:

Me too, except it's usually my cousins that bug me.

Re Sea Lion: I did get my grandmother to watch A:tLA with me. And there was that one time she sat in the same room as me when I was watching Bleach, though it was subbed, so she couldn't follow it too well.
The Shade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I can agree with Robin on that. My wife has this habit of walking into whatever anime I'm watching at, usually, the most embarrassing or worse times, look at what I'm watching, look at me funny, and walk out of the living room totally thinking I'm beyond all hope.

I'm so lucky to have her!!! Cool

Robin, great strip as usual.
AnimeAngel00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
It's funny that when I was living with my mom, she just scratched her head on the anime I watched. My mom referred to every anime series as "that sailor moon cartoon". She one day walked in on an akward bathing scene from a Mysterious Play episode and overreacted quite a bit. To this day, she now refers to my "cartoons" as "cartoon pr0n" and that I should stop watching anime because it'll "mess up my mind". My HIGHLY religious (and hypocritical) mom would probably had a heart attack if she walked in on a kissing scene from either my Gravitation or Strawberry Panic viewing. She loaths anime with a passion, but loves the show Will and Grace...oh, well. Rolling Eyes I still luv my mom even though I still don't get her thought process on most things Razz

Man, I wish my mom was cool like Granny Rosa Laughing
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I know this feeling so well. My mother walked in when I watching Higurashi. More specifically, it was a scene when one girl was on top of another girl, trying to choke her to death.

That's not what my mother saw, however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2