• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Ball Z Kai sets new record as highest-rated series...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corona-Dark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
"Dragon Ball Z Kai sets new record as highest-rated series premiere in network's history."

Quote:
“Nicktoons also posted its highest-rated and most-watched May with total viewers (+18%), K6-11 (+33% in rating), B6-11 (+27% in delivery), T9-14 (+32% in delivery) and B9-14 (+25% in rating). Nicktoons record-setting performance was driven by the premiere of Dragon Ball Z Kai (Monday, May 24, 8–9 p.m. ET), which set a new record as the highest-rated series premiere in the network’s history with total viewers, T9-14 and B9-14. ”

http://blog.funimation.com/2010/06/nicktoons-may-10-ratings/
Quote:
Nicktoons record performance was driven by the premiere of Dragon Ball Z Kai (Monday, May 24, 8 – 9 p.m. ET), which set a new record as the highest-rated series premiere in the network’s history with total viewers (record previously held by Wolverine and The X-Men, January 23, 2009)

Quote:
Thanks to the abundance of advertising for the series done by Nicktoons and Marvel, the Nicktoons Network premiere of Wolverine and the X-Men garnered over 3,500,000 viewers, one of the network's highest ratings ever.[36]

Hindsight, Part One - 3,436,000 viewers
Hindsight, Part Two - 4,589,000 viewers

Putting Dragon Ball Z Kai's premiere over 3,436,000 viewers recorded, approximately between #10 and #13 on the Top 20 Cable programs for that week:
Quote:
1 NBA PLAYOFFS (SUNS/LAKERS) TNT Thu 9:00 PM 8,670,000
2 NBA PLAYOFFS (LAKERS/SUNS) TNT Sat 8:34 PM 8,154,000
3 NBA PLAYOFFS (MAGIC/CELTICS) ESPN Mon 8:29 PM 7,960,000
4 NBA PLAYOFFS (LAKERS/SUNS) TNT Tue 9:00 PM 7,641,000
5 NBA PLAYOFFS (MAGIC/CELTICS) ESPN Fri 8:29 PM 7,538,000
6 NBA PLAYOFFS (CELTICS/MAGIC) ESPN Wed 8:29 PM 6,835,000
7 WWE RAW USA Mon 10:00 PM 4,518,000
8 WWE RAW USA Mon 9:00 PM 4,468,000
9 NCIS USA Wed 8:00 PM 3,887,000
10 SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS NICK Sat 9:30 AM 3,863,000
11 SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS NICK Sat 1:00 PM 3,680,000
11 SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS NICK Sat 1:30 PM 3,717,000
13 SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS NICK Sat 2:00 PM 3,666,000

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/zap-nielsen-cable,0,7538199,results.formprofile?SortBy=cdb_01_num+%2Ccdb_05_txt+&PageSize=50&Page=1&Query=*
(Nicktoons is not a basic cable channel, and cannot be accessed by everyone)
------

I'm surprised Anime News Network hasn't posted this on their main page yet. They're usually on top of these types of things.

My thoughts? What's particularly surprising to me about these ratings, is that not only is this a 20 year old cartoon that's been slightly enhanced, it's that it's also owned by milllions of people across the United States, whether it be on VHS or DVD, and with this knowledge I would imagine only so many previous fans tuned in to watch it on such a limited channel. Do we credit previous fans? The new audience? Or both? Either way, these ratings are remarkable.

Discuss.
Kimani

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Great news for anime.

I wonder if those numbers will sustain throughout the month. I bought set 1 but had to stop, the pacing is too abrupt for me.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see an anime show doing well in the ratings. However, it's the premier episodes, so the question is how well they will hold up. A lot of shows loose a big chunk of their initial audiences, and considering this is just an edited version of DBZ, I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen here.

Since they compared it to Wolverine, it should be noted that it's regular ratings were much, much lower than it's premiers.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope the ratings stay up enough at least. I really want Kai to continue airing on there, and it would be nice if the success might convince them to acquire another series, but that's a dream right now.

I just want Kai to keep on airing on there because it's the only way I have to watch it at this time. (although ironically I don't have Nicktoons. I'm streaming it through their site. Not cool, not cool at all, I know.)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the ratings will stay high enough for NickToons to keep it on the air. As long as Funimation doesn't drastically jack up the airing price, which I doubt they will do, there will be little reason to cancel it. The ratings would have to fall pretty dramatically.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Good stuff. Dragon Ball Kai/Z is great. It turned a lot of people my age on to anime back in middle school and high school. Hopefully it can do the same for current kids.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
DBZ is a gateway anime, it helps get you into other shows. DBZ kai's high ratings on nicktoons will help pave the way for a new generation of anime fans just like it did on cartoon network back in the day.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
just like it did on cartoon network back in the day.
Speaking of which, I wonder what the jerkwads currently in control of CN are thinking of this news, if they're not in deep thought over what there next Reality Show rip-off will be.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Cartoon Network doesn't care. They probably expected it would be this profitable. It's just "not enough" for Cartoon Network anymore.
BudWhite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, the original DBZ was able to earn a 3.5+ houshold rating in 2002, which is pretty remarkable for its time.

Nicktoons is a pretty limited channel, and is probably earning less ratings because of that fact. If it was aired on Cartoon Network, it would probably have much higher ratings since that isn't a sub-network.
DBZAOTA482

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:
Speaking of which, I wonder what the jerkwads currently in control of CN are thinking of this news, if they're not in deep thought over what there next Reality Show rip-off will be.

Stuart Snyder doesn't want the quality shows that made CN as cherished as it was back at the day,& bringing dbz's face back to CN was a #1 must-do on their part Anime cry ,but no,it was replaced with another "Comedy Cartoon" gimmick,Adventure Time,& now I hope CN loses all it's viewers,& goes bankrupt Evil or Very Mad
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:

Stuart Snyder doesn't want the quality shows that made CN as cherished as it was back at the day,& bringing dbz's face back to CN was a #1 must-do on their part Anime cry ,but no,it was replaced with another "Comedy Cartoon" gimmick,Adventure Time,& now I hope CN loses all it's viewers,& goes bankrupt Evil or Very Mad

Nah. I mean at least Adventure Time is a cartoon. When they continue with their CN Real programs is when they need to go bankrupt.
shaggyglasses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
This is excellent news to read. I wonder who is watching the show though. I hope they can obtain a breakdown of the viewers based on age.

Revolutionary wrote:
Nah. I mean at least Adventure Time is a cartoon. When they continue with their CN Real programs is when they need to go bankrupt.

Having those live-action programs make me wonder why they call themselves cartoon network. Maybe they are trying to diversify to garner a larger audience.
DBZAOTA482

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:

But it's a mediocre cartoon,no quality what-to-speak-of!
Sketchor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
The reason why ANN hasn't reported on that is because Kai isn't getting nearly that many viewers but it is doing well for Nicktoons. Probably around 500,000 or even 600,000 in total viewership if it beat X-Men.

I'm afraid your X-Men numbers are quite wrong and in turn your estimation for Kai's ratings is off-base. Though I'm curious where you got those numbers exactly because it looks like someone added too many zeros or more specifically some extra numbers that may have been indicating something else.

http://www.animationinsider.net/article.php?articleID=1973

Quote:
In terms of Total Viewers, the first episode glued a reported 436,000 (P2+) pairs of eyeballs to the television screen, 589,000 (P2+) the second episode.

And because it's always good to have more sources than one.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/162857-Nicktoons_Deliver_Superhero_Ratings.php

If X-Men and Kai were getting in the millions they would be on Nickelodeon and not it's spin-off channel which isn't in nearly as many homes.

Both Naruto Shippuden and DBZ Kai seem to be doing respectably though and that's great. Hopefully they will continue to do well and get even better ratings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1