• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Paint It Black Jack

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everapril

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I regret not keeping up with Planet Ladder. Found the first two volumes when I was packing up all my manga to give to a friend. Sniff Crying or Very sad
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I've heard some people say that Peepo Choo is really funny but I've also heard it has a lot of violent/sexual scenes so I'm torn. Wish I could borrow it first to try it out but I doubt my library will be carrying it. Anime hyper
And I remember reading Planet Ladder back in high school when a friend found the first volume or two at her library and liking it alright but whenever I come across a random volume at the local used bookstore I don't grab it since I'm afraid it'll be worse than I remember (plus I don't remember the details too well). Guess I should keep my eyes peeled and pick it up anyway, gah, why do I keep falling for all these OOP series these days?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Yuri Narushima getting some recognition. I love Planet Ladder and Young Magician. Even her doujinshi is lovely. I sometimes have a hard time following the plot in her stories, but she manages to pull things together and make me go WOW before it falls apart.

I'm an old time Fantagraphics/Drawn & Quarterly Fan. Hate, Love and Rockets, Eightball, Meat Cake.... I wish I could sneak them into RTO. (I understand why I can't though...)

As always, I really enjoyed reading your column Carlo. Thanks![/i]
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I've heard some people say that Peepo Choo is really funny but I've also heard it has a lot of violent/sexual scenes so I'm torn. Wish I could borrow it first to try it out but I doubt my library will be carrying it. Anime hyper

I absolutely loved Peepo Choo, but if you're sensitive to violent/sexual imagery than it's definitely a manga you're going to want to avoid. It gets pretty graphic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The irony of Rosario Vampire S.2-2 is that the volume is actually an improvement over the first one.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, Qwaser of Stigmata's manga got licensed? Despite my better judgement I am curious, so very curious. It can't be as extreme / trashy as the anime though, right? Right?!

Quote:
Now I'm no religious expert but it's hard to imagine any branch of Christianity, much less any belief system on the planet, actually having that legitimately in their dogma somewhere. Unless it was the Church of Loony Erotic Kinks Designed To Maximize Fanservice Potential

*Waits for High Priest Blood- to sermonize* Razz
mabber36

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
"Breaking new barriers in tastelessness! Promising ideas are overshadowed by utterly horrible fanservice and a patchwork storyline as this title pulls a D-."

wow, can't wait to read it.

good thing it shipped today
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, I read Planet Ladder back in high school and have forgotten all about it. ^^; I just remember it was kind of weird, though now I'm curious about how it ended.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:55 am Reply with quote
Wow, it's not been so long since I turned up the first four or so volumes of Planet Ladder in a storage box and traded them in on some Hellsing. Seriously. Loved it back then, never finished it, wish I had.. but too late now I suppose.

Qwaser... can anyone tell me if there was any redeeming plot or.. anything redeeming about the anime? I didn't last a full episode with that one. I think that came out about the same time as something I could stomach, like Durarara! or Sora no Woto.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
I picked up Peepo Choo Friday just to see all the humdrum was about. They were having a "buy three manga, get fourth free" sale. Since this was an Adult title, though, it didn't count for the sale. Crap.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
I read all of Planet Ladder back when it first came out but honestly about half way through I felt it started to fall apart. The story just did not make any sense after awhile. Really, in the end I felt very disappointed by it. I'd like to see more sci-fi shoujo, but Planet Ladder is not it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Qwaser... can anyone tell me if there was any redeeming plot or.. anything redeeming about the anime? I didn't last a full episode with that one. I think that came out about the same time as something I could stomach, like Durarara! or Sora no Woto.

Some of people were apparently impressed with the opening. I personally thought it was pretty good but nothing to write home about -- the opening, that is. I checked it out on youtube when people were crowing about it in a thread. While the basic plot is promising, no, suckling is not something I want to see anyone other than a baby do. I suppose if you and your partner enjoy it and want to do it in the privacy of your own home, that's cool, but the prospect of an entire series circulating around the fetish is profoundly unappealing.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...She wins over the other characters (and the reader) with her kind nature and vulnerability, much like Fruits Basket's Tohru Honda. That being said, she is a very passive character, which may bother readers looking for a spunky female protagonist who takes charge of her destiny.

If anyone can recommend me a manga that has this type of protagonist I wouldn't mind reading it ^__^
I loved Tohru's kindness even if some people found her to be a Mary-Sue; but I don't mind spunky girls either!
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:

Some of people were apparently impressed with the opening. I personally thought it was pretty good but nothing to write home about -- the opening, that is. I checked it out on youtube when people were crowing about it in a thread. While the basic plot is promising, no, suckling is not something I want to see anyone other than a baby do. I suppose if you and your partner enjoy it and want to do it in the privacy of your own home, that's cool, but the prospect of an entire series circulating around the fetish is profoundly unappealing.

thank you!
It was a pretty immediate turn off for me, too.
That, *AND* it was still yet another high school setting?
That high school setting fetish will be the death of anime, I swear.

On biomenga (sp?) I am actually looking forward to the next volume, because some manga you read for story, some for art, and some peg both. This one is definately worth picking up for it's art.

A question to throw out... I don't recall seeing any reviews in the column about any Alita (Gunnm) Last Order releases, have they?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
A question to throw out... I don't recall seeing any reviews in the column about any Alita (Gunnm) Last Order releases, have they?

I'm not sure whether there have been any in Right Way Only, but volumes have received individual reviews several times. You should be able to find links if you got to the encyclopedia entry for the manga. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2