• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Giant banners on encyclopdia pages linking to anime episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
They are fine as they are, and the video button everyone complains about appears only on mouseover so normally viewer can simply enjoy the art.

What the heck does "normally" mean? With the advent of the iPhone, iPad, smartphones, and other devices, the "normal" is no longer "normal".

Resolutions vary, of course, and I certainly can't expect ANN to encompass them all. However, a link taking up a large portion of the screen isn't friendly to non-PC users, which grows daily.

Think iPhone/iPad/touchscreen phone for a second. Now think of trying to scroll on the page.

They've just been re-directed to the video page.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
They've just been re-directed to the video page.

Not to split hairs, but that's actually not how the iPad / iPhone work. If you touch the screen and move your finger, it won't "click" - even if you touched on a link.

We did think of that.

Those large images are tied into a feature that we haven't released yet, but will be adding soon. So we can't offer an option to disable them just yet, but I am going to look into a feature for registered users to shrink the space used by that, and the front page marquee.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I happened upon this thread. I just wanted to say that I absolutely adore the banners. Not only do they look extremely gorgeous, but, as someone mentioned previously, they also help promote ANN's video content. Please do not shrink their size; I think they're perfect just as they are right now.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote
This thread raises another, tendentious issue.

Whenever I see one of these banners I start grinding my teeth in fury because I know you sods in America can watch the episodes and I can't.

One of the first rules of business is you don't piss off your customers. Perhaps it's time for anime producers to consider world-wide licensing agreements?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Whenever I see one of these banners I start grinding my teeth in fury because I know you sods in America can watch the episodes and I can't.

Huh, wasn't expecting that. Originally I was only going to display the large pictures for countries that can watch the videos, but then I realized I could show the large picture (since it's an improvement on the existing pictures) but not have it link to the video page (since linking to a "not available" page is just nasty). But to think that displaying the high-res picture would have this effect... Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
Actually, I do like the big pictures. It's not your fault I can't watch the episodes. But it is frustrating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2