• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: X Japan Featured on America's ABC World News

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that they're getting recognition. They deserve it. I'm sad they're comparing Yoshiki to Bono though.

Sadly, I did not get to see them perform at Lolla, but I've seen photos...time hasn't been good to some of these people. Pata already looks like he has one foot in the grave, and he's only 44. Heath is looking more thin than anything. Everyone else at least looks their respective age, or a bit younger.

Hopefully they don't get sucked into the "aging-rockers-looking-for-the-last-chance-of-the-glory-days" category.
humantyphoon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I cant seem to get the video working.
Tratious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
humantyphoon wrote:
I can't seem to get the video working.
I couldn't either, so I just went to the ABC link in the article

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/japan-rocks-11370738&tab=9482930&section=1206853&playlist=11370750&page=1
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
So Yoshiki couldn't use a certain studio because Metallica was using it. So he bought it and kicked them out...

Shows who's got more power in music industry, now, doesn't it.
Lenks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
So Yoshiki couldn't use a certain studio because Metallica was using it. So he bought it and kicked them out...

Or who has the most money.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:
omnistry wrote:

Or who has the most money.

More so who is willing to spend more money.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
You're welcome Very Happy

I was surprised this didn't make the front page here. I hope they get the recognition they deserve. Unfortuantely, I don't see their music being marketable, regardless of the direction they go (80's speed or 90s industrial rock/metal). They could've capitalized on the Dragonforce trend a few years back and would've made a splash. At most though, I see them becoming larger in geek/anime circles than in the mainstream.

It was still f'ing awesome to see them featured on ABC!! Crazy!
Kuroki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
One can only hope that X Japan can do what L'arc and DEG haven't been able to do yet. With X's resources i find it hard to believe that they will have little hurtles beyond the language barrier and music taste of our mainstream fans.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 am Reply with quote
As much as I like X Japan, it would help if their catalog of music was larger than about 15 songs. Seriously, Yoshiki's been kind of resting on his laurels quite a bit, and the new album is really just going to be yet more remakes of the same material. I've watched a crud-ton of their concerts and you can almost predict the order they're going to play stuff.

More new music, man! I love your tunes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy for them. Very Happy

I hope that I'll be able to see them in concert. Can't wait for their new album!
Saturn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

When I heard that, all I could think of was Saito from Inception: "It just seemed neater."
Lenks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
As much as I like X Japan, it would help if their catalog of music was larger than about 15 songs. Seriously, Yoshiki's been kind of resting on his laurels quite a bit, and the new album is really just going to be yet more remakes of the same material. I've watched a crud-ton of their concerts and you can almost predict the order they're going to play stuff.

More new music, man! I love your tunes!

I agree. I still consider X-Japan the best rock band when it comes to ballads, but their catalog of music is starting to look a bit thin after so many years of inactivity. When it comes to appealing to an American audience, I think they could use more metal songs like when they first started off. At least the new album's supposed to be made up 50% of new music, but Yoshiki and the rest of the team really need to lock themselves up in the studio and create a completely new album.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1