• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How sad must a website be ....

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cristiano17

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
How sad must a website be when their own members have to troll ANN so that they may think they are anything other that pedos ?

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/forums/topic.php?id=9238
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
Don't worry about it.

Trolls generally run out of steam fast. By nature, trolls have only a superficial interest in their targets, and are easily diverted by the next shiny thing they see. All posters on ANN are moderated under the same terms, and so long as these folks stick to the rules, who cares why they originally joined?

Besides, some of them might have something intelligent to say. You never know -- stranger things have happened.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
Really, what is the point of trolling anyway? What purpose does it even serve? Just to get a rise out of some people?

I have no idea myself. Compared to other news sites, ANN is much better. More moderation, news articles, reviews and a legal means of viewing anime.

But whatever, it's not that big of a deal.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
You know, I don't think I've ever detected any hint of intelligence in a troll. It is possible, I suppose, but I haven't seen it yet.

I wonder why they do it myself, sometimes. It seems like wasted effort, especially on a site like ANN, where they're more likely to be banned and their posts deleted.

Maybe they've no other way of getting their jollies? Dunno.
Novium

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, good find. I didn't think anyone but myself goes to san-com just to read comments from a bunch fuming fap-addicted tards.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
As somebody who professes a tolerance for the content at the centre of this issue, I can certainly sympathise (and indeed empathise) with those who consider their own preferences to be shared by too few editorial staff members.

Hopefully, this sort of concern will be expressed in a more productive fashion in future. The way in which these users have voiced their dissatisfaction does few favours to persons alike in mind to themselves, myself included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Really, what is the point of trolling anyway? What purpose does it even serve? Just to get a rise out of some people?

Yes.

That is the literal definition of a troll. Someone who does something because it will get a rise out of people.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:57 am Reply with quote
Thread cleaned up a bit, to remove inappropriate remarks.

Guys, don't feed trolls, you ought to know better -- and don't think you're one smidgeon more intelligent if you try to troll back.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
The whole thing is rather comical. Nothing like a little irony in calling a group prissy and closed-minded by basically exhibiting those same traits in the process.

First, a lot of the hate is centered around the fact that a number of patrons here have opposing viewpoints to their own, which is closed-minded in itself. Second, they don't even question the initial accuser, because I can tell you from viewing his deleted posts that he wasn't banned for the reasons he claims, but I guess stating the real reason wouldn't have had quite the effect he wanted. The judgement of an entire sites userbase of unique individuals as some kind of like-minded hive collective is also closed-minded prejudice.

Either way, if they want to come in an "troll" by discussing issues they perceive in error as hated by all here then they are free to do so provided they are respectful and civil in the process. Discussion and debate is encouraged, not discouraged, contrary to their original posters claims. In fact, some of the exchanges in that thread at present more or less disprove the generalizations more than anything.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

First, a lot of the hate is centered around the fact that a number of patrons here have opposing viewpoints to their own, which is closed-minded in itself.

Tangeant alert: there's being open-minded and then there's the kind of credence given to any which thing that seems to blossom from the innate fear the modern world has at "offending" someone. If one finds something ridiculous, then it is most appropriate that they should ridicule it according to their reasons for deducing so. The trouble is (as I'm sure you're well aware), just about everybody has ridiculous reasoning (if they even bother with the process) and the rest aren't much better. Of course, there's certainly a value to be had in maintaining the peace most of the time and I distinctly have the impression that the majority of anime fans convene to build self esteem slapping backs; the validity of the content is already assumed. Which is okay, I guess.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Locked for persistent trolling.

- abunai
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1