• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Hi everyone.

This here is the general thread for all anime-related figure discussion. I have received the okay from a moderator (thanks Key) to start this.

Recently, I have been more and more interested in anime PVC figures. There is some unique charm about them. I have already purchased two, so far.

Shuffle! Shigure Asa Long Hair Special Edition Ani*Statue - Link here.
Bought from an Amazon seller
$30.99 + (Shipping & Handling) $6.94 = $37.93

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Movie Yoko Gurren Edition Ani*Statue - Link here.
Bought from Robert's Anime Corner Store via Amazon.com
$74.98 + (Amazon's Free Super Saver Shipping) $0.00 = $74.98

There is just something about figures that cause a turmoil within myself. I can not bring myself to spend so much on plastic/PVC yet at the same time I must have them, for aesthetic reasons if nothing else.

Currently, I am very interested in this figure here from Bakemonogatari. There is something about the way Hitagi Senjogahara looks that makes me want to buy the figure. If anything, I find her character design attractive. Yet, at the same time, my wallet will cry at the amount of money I have to sink in to own one of these.

A quick question, would $61.19 be a good deal for the Hitagi Senjogahara figure? The item is stackable with a Got Anime? membership which makes it about 23.5% off the original price of $79.99.

For this thread, feel free to answer any of the following questions:

Why did you buy your figure(s)?
Where did you buy them?
How much did you pay for them?

Myself, I am still trying to figure why I bought the figures I have. I do not even know why myself but if I had to garner a guess, I guess it must be my weakness to bishoujo/bishōjo character designs.

If you do post links to the site(s) where you purchased your figure(s), please make sure they are legitimate as Key has advised me that there are plenty of bootleg/counterfeit sites out there. Please try to keep the links/pictures of the figures work safe, as much as possible. If it is not work safe, label it "NSFW" (not safe for work).

Without further ado, let's discuss some anime PVC figures.

* DING *
You have earned a tropy.
Batting .400 - Post 400 messages on the Anime News Network forums.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I am going to love this thread. I have an interest in figures as well, but I don't know where to buy them, what's a good deal, who's a good maker, what's a bootleg look like, nothing; I don't even know the sizes (1/16 of what?). I can tell you all you need to know about DVDs, but figures just go way over my head.

Quote:
There is just something about figures that cause a turmoil within myself. I can not bring myself to spend so much on plastic/PVC yet at the same time I must have them, for aesthetic reasons if nothing else.

I'm having this same problem. I mean, for $60-$100 you can get a lot of anime. But, I really want at least some to spruce up my shelves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I really don't "get" the figure collecting craze but I have a few I've seen fit to own either because they came with DVDs I bought or because I like the character and saw a resonable deal.

I have 6:

Black Escaflowne (Escaflowne)
Came with the limited Edition set.

Pacifica Casul (Scrapped Princess)
Came with one of the LE volumes.

Raquel Casul (Scrapped Princess)
Came with one of the LE volumes.

Shiki Ryoji w/ knife (Kara no Kyoukai)
Bought from a seller on Amazon Marketplace

Kanu Unchou W/ Dragon Spear(Ikki Tousen)
Bought from a seller on Amazon Marketplace

Ciel w/ blades (Tsukihime/Melty Blood)
Bought on Ebay
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Unlike most (probably all) of you I exclusively collect male figures so I have way less product to choose from. Or perhaps I should say less variety, as I'm not really interested in collecting 500 variations of Luffy from One Piece (not that there's anything wrong with that). While it may save me money in the long run, it also means that all other collectors with my taste are all bidding on the same, single Lamento Rai figure that I'm looking at. Or at least it seems like it, as I've lost so many auctions I've pretty much given up on buying certain figures through eBay. I had better luck getting Togainu no Chi's Akira secondhand through the Sales thread in the MyFigureCollection forum, directly from another forumer who didn't want him anymore. We both won; I "adopted" him sans drama CD for $88 and she got money to spend on new acquisitions.

I haven't tallied what I've spent so far and I'm a little nervous to. I can justify $30 here, $50 there, etc. and occasionally a bit more (Hello Natsume!) but being confronted with a grand total may be a bit much. Of course, the same could be said for the DVDs & manga but those seem more "functional" so I feel less guilt. I'm sure it's much less than many others though, since A.) I've only recently started, and B.) As stated above, there's just less product I want overall.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the chance to pick the brains of more experienced collectors when it comes to stuff like care & cleaning of figures, storage/display conditions, issues like paint transfer (poor Natsume got a few on his back from his black kimono already Mad ) & other repairs, and spotting the dreaded bootleg. I've gotten better at that last one (I used to be so reluctant to just outright ask a seller if it's a bootleg as if I'd offend them or something) but I do have a bootleg Nendoroid purchased before I got savvy to that tip. (To KoH: MyFigureCollection is great for checking out user-submitted pics of known bootlegs.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Be wary about just listing figures in your collection, people. (I'm particularly referring to Kruszer's post.) If there's too much of that without accompanying commentary than I may have to start enforcing the no-listing rule.

While I have absolutely zero interest in figurines (plushies are, however, another story - I have one of the original run of Ryo-Ohki dolls and a Jaken, too), I would like to see this thread run for quite a while. We haven't really had anything like it before, and based on Shelf Life photos, there are a lot of people out there that are into this thing. Just behave so I don't have to pay any attention here. Wink

Last edited by Key on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
I have an inexplicable love of figures but know next to nothing about figure collecting, like King said. Most of my figures are gashapon/trading figures. The only full set I have is from Captain Harlock, but I have many other random singles. However, I've recently decided that I want to get into bigger figures. I bought my fiance a Figma the other day and now I really want the one of Lum (I love her zappy face!) and the upcoming Revoltech of Lupin.

Do any of you guys have experience with the claw-machine-prize figures? There are several Galaxy Express 999 ones that I want, and the quality looks great, but I'm not sure if they're worth the money.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
Anime related figures you say? Oh I have just a few of those lmao. Yea...figures are sort of my special hobby beyond the actual anime and manga itself. Spent a lot of money over many years on my collection. I simply love collecting figures especially for series I enjoy. Though several of my figures, and many I want, are from shows I have not watched but I find the figures themselves pleasing. I could list them all but that would take WAYYYYYY too much time to do so. Instead I'll just post a link to my MyFigureCollection profile and let you guys see for yourselves. Enjoy.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
I have a collection of figures, although I haven't added any for a while since I have no disposable cash. I have picures of some of them:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/shirobane/Figures?feat=directlink

I have been coveting the Black Blade figure of Black Rock Shooter since I first saw it. The most expensive figure on my wishlist is this one of Eclair, but for $350 I don't think her face came out very well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
guet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Figure collecting can be very expensive, and oddly addicting. I don't have a huge collection compared to some out there, but I do have quite a few. Mostly I keep them on my DVD shelves, and there are a few on my desk. I've been very lucky tracking down most of the older figures I've been interested in. Anyway, here is a link to my collection.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I've always wanted to ask this of a group of collectors: If you display your figures in the open how in the world do you keep them clean? Do you dust them every week or every month (or more or less frequently)? Do you go all out and clean them thoroughly with a Q-tip? Or just run them under tap water, or give them a once-over with a damp cloth, etc.? I've never had to clean one yet (see below) so I'm not sure what will or won't damage the material or the figure itself.

I ask because I currently have a small glass display case that will be eventually become crowded. I don't really want to end up just cramming them in & lining them up like a group photo so I can only see their heads & shoulders over the shorter figures in the front. Yet I'm not keen on buying some big expensive display case either (besides the cost, I live in an apartment which means sooner or later I'll be moving). So displaying them in the open seems the way to go, if I can keep them clean. Any tips would be appreciated.
lkplkplkp3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be one of my favorite threads, because I'm just beginning my collection now. Here's what's weird though. I'm only interested in articulated figures (so figma & revoltech instead of statues). But at the same time, I'd hate myself if I was to open one. I find that now that I'm older, I can more easily resist opening figures. Keeps the collectible value high.
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I ask because I currently have a small glass display case that will be eventually become crowded. I don't really want to end up just cramming them in & lining them up like a group photo so I can only see their heads & shoulders over the shorter figures in the front. Yet I'm not keen on buying some big expensive display case either (besides the cost, I live in an apartment which means sooner or later I'll be moving). So displaying them in the open seems the way to go, if I can keep them clean. Any tips would be appreciated.

I know where you are going at. A display case is nice to have if you like to match your stuff with any furniture you have, and it minimizes dust. It also depends in one kind of lengths you are going to go in the future when collecting figures - are you going to be specific (in the figure's size, collection, sets, series or manufacturer); how long are you going do this, and how much are you collecting?
I bought a hanging curio display cabinet (could have it as a standing cabinet as well) for my room, nice wood, glass planes, glass windows in each side, and has a mirror at back so a person can look at the figures in any direction.
When I started I prefer to invest in a small curio because I was very specific in what I was collecting, and I did not expect the manufacturer to release much for the type of collection. Plus, the cabinet also helps a lot for me because I am out of the house almost 7 months out of the year and I don't have to worry much about my figures getting caked with dust or get ruined. My cabinet is actually full. So if some reason CMS starts putting out more to match what I have, then I'll invest the exact same cabinet again to match.

Well, its all up to you really in how you are going to plan in collecting and taking care of your collection.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm an off and on figure collector. In the middle of collecting: anime, manga, games (especially limited editions), and game promo items (soundtracks and artbooks), it's hard to fit in^^ Once and a while I will, especially if I come across something REALLY nice!

As for the MyFigureCollection site, I finally started one up, seeing that alot of my stuff is still packed in boxes for any sort of photo... I'm actually surprised with the lack of Pokemon/Digimon figs on the site, being the ones that I started out with. They are among the ones packed up, so will probably be a while before I can photo shoot them and add them to the list^^
Xagor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
This is probably the easiest way to post the stuff I've got http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Xagor.

Although I do have a picture of my collection in its near entirety, it's just not up to date. http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/Xagor_2007/8228_606928919450_202908536_36348183_6861929_n.jpg
Apologies about the quality. It's since added the movie Nia figure, the younger Nia and Kinon Figumates, the older Kinon Figumate, a little Minami from Lucky Star figure and a 2nd copy of the volleyball Yuki with a different coloured outfit. (This one was a present.) You'll probably be able to notice a certain theme amongst the purchases...

Generally my purchases are based on one of two things. 1. I like the character, hence the massive number of Yuki figures. 2. Impulse buys, hence many of the smaller Yuki figures and stuff like the Disgaea figures.

Generally I think most of my purchases either come from United Publications (a UK company that sells this kind of stuff), or stuff I randomly buy at places like the MCM Expo. I have sometimes used Hobby Link Japan though.

God knows how much has gone into all of this. Then again I don't really spend much in areas most people would typically put more money into.

Do wish there were more Kino figures out there though.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Be wary about just listing figures in your collection, people. (I'm particularly referring to Kruszer's post.) If there's too much of that without accompanying commentary than I may have to start enforcing the no-listing rule.

While I have absolutely zero interest in figurines (plushies are, however, another story - I have one of the original run of Ryo-Ohki dolls and a Jaken, too), I would like to see this thread run for quite a while. We haven't really had anything like it before, and based on Shelf Life photos, there are a lot of people out there that are into this thing. Just behave so I don't have to pay any attention here. Wink

The commentary is below the figure, what else should I provide if I don't remember how much I paid for them and already stated the reasons for purchase in the opening paragraph?

Pictures maybe?

Couldn't find photos for the Raquel and Pacifica figurines though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 111