• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai Premieres on Toonzai on Saturday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bell02

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I find this hilarious that 4Kids edited the edited version that airs on Nicktoons network, and still have their continuous bad ideas like a splash image that screams "Toonzai!!11" showing a poorly done Surfing Ninja that takes up half the screen.
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Watched it this morning, and yea hearing that voice scream "Toonzai!" in the middle of watching a show is really annoying and very stupid.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
... Toonzai? Well at least I see potential in this. But does anyone else think it's weird that Funi is working with 4kids after what happened with One Piece? I personally still believe that 4kids/Toonzai just doesn't have what it takes to appropriately handle anime. =/
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Apashi wrote:
... Toonzai? Well at least I see potential in this. But does anyone else think it's weird that Funi is working with 4kids after what happened with One Piece? I personally still believe that 4kids/Toonzai just doesn't have what it takes to appropriately handle anime. =/

4 Kids is making an uncut anime site called Toonzaki(shows will be subtitled only), if edits anger you(personally don't care), just watch the uncut versions of their shows on the site(I doubt Kai is one of them though, I can't stand Goku's seiyuu).
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Wow, I can actually catch this on TV. Nice.

not quite. this is horrid. DBZ at the hands of 4 crap kids. AS bad as Disney X.D's destruction of Naruto Shippuden.

One thing for sure is that if the DBZ kai broadcast on nick to start turning off hardcore fans from Funi, this will sure as hell will.

thank god we dubbers at least still have Adult Swim which wont piss off anime fans.

especially with new Epsiodes of Bleach to look forward to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
Wow, I can actually catch this on TV. Nice.

not quite. this is horrid. DBZ at the hands of 4 crap kids. AS bad as Disney X.D's destruction of Naruto Shippuden.

One thing for sure is that if the DBZ kai broadcast on nick to start turning off hardcore fans from Funi, this will sure as hell will.

thank god we dubbers at least still have Adult Swim which wont piss off anime fans.

especially with new Epsiodes of Bleach to look forward to.

Just so you know, your posts aren't funny anymore.

I really fail to see how a show getting edited for violence is a requirement to jump up in arms over something. Edited violence isn't suddenly going to disrupt the plot. Only the total removal of conflict would do that, and neither examples you've mentioned have done that.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Bell02 wrote:
I find this hilarious that 4Kids edited the edited version that airs on Nicktoons network, and still have their continuous bad ideas like a splash image that screams "Toonzai!!11" showing a poorly done Surfing Ninja that takes up half the screen.

Anime Remix wrote:
Just got done watching Dragon Ball Z Kai on Toonzai/CW4Kids (and I recorded it). It's the same as the Nicktoons version! Smile

Haters are just gonna keep hatin'. I guess nothing's going to change their minds that 4kids Entertainment are at least willing to change.
aereus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Well judging by the fact they named it TOONZAI ... I'm not really surprised their bumpers and graphics for it are terrible.

What made me especially facepalm was the fact they cropped DBZ Kai to 4:3 after all that effort was put into remastering it and expanding the frames to widescreen. Makes it look really crappy now how a lot of stuff is half off the screen.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote
If we got any of the hardcore fans out there still, this new dub is pretty funny. It's been revamped to when say, Gohan or Vegeta yell, (teeth talk) it's basically whispering compared to anything before it. I saw the hack job when they fought Goldo. Hilarious.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:47 am Reply with quote
So, Is it an Edit of an Edit?

Because that's what happened to Naruto on Jetix UK and that could have disastrous consequences for this endeavour.
Ichiron47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
So, Is it an Edit of an Edit?

Because that's what happened to Naruto on Jetix UK and that could have disastrous consequences for this endeavour.

For your information, yes. 4Kids puts more edits in on KAI, even though using the nickToons version, WHICH IS EDITED! Just watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmDQoFbg3_s
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Remember: sometimes thing are cut purely for time. You know how networks are; they need to squeeze in as many PSAs as possible.
mark@toonzaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Please remember, that all in DBZK are in direct response to issues raised by BS&P. 4Kids, Funimation and Toei worked together to address all issues raised in order to receive approval for broadcast.

As noted, the Toonzai version is a slightly edited version of the nicktoons version. While there should not be a difference in how shows are rated, it is up to each individual network to interpet the rules. Since the FCC regulates broadcast TV, and their are local affiliate stations, it is generally more conservative on the BS&P interpretations. This accounts for the additional changes.

DBZK is available uncut on DVD and Blueray, so there really should not be that much anger over the changes. It is the equivilant of a 'R' movie edited for basic cable, people can still enjoy it, and if they wanted the original they can rent it.

Last edited by mark@toonzaki on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
mark@toonzaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
By the way, how's Toonzaki coming along?

We are finishing up development, and will be entering QA shortly. Target public Beta is now mid-September. Once we have a firm date, we will send out a release.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
DBZK is available uncut on DVD and Blueray, so there really should not be that much anger over the changes. It is the equivilant of a 'R' movie edited for basic cable, people can still enjoy it, and if they wanted the original they can rent it.

Too true but the reason I turn on various basic cable channels that have air edited R movies is because I want to check out the edits. The edits of the movies like Friday(IceCube/Chris Tucker) and Cheech and Chong almost made them funnier than the uncensored version. I check out edits to get a laff.

Seriously though let me ask you about the Toonzai logo + wave. Is it meant to take up 40% of the lower half of the screen every time it gets ran?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4