• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Magic Mushi Rooms

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've now got Mushishi to finish and Ikigami to catch up on... thanks, Carlo! Wink

Btw, speaking of Shiki, am I the only one watching the anime and thinking how much better this probably worked as a book? The art style is so terrible, I mostly read the subtitles and half ignore what's going on the screen... except for the nightmare sequences, which are pure unbridled horror.
zeonozero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Btw, speaking of Shiki, am I the only one watching the anime and thinking how much better this probably worked as a book? The art style is so terrible, I mostly read the subtitles and half ignore what's going on the screen... except for the nightmare sequences, which are pure unbridled horror.

No, the art is definatley a stretch in my tastes, it could work for the manga version

I think i might actually get ikigami, since it sounds cool and i dont have a collection that deals with politics yet
As for the goddess one.... i think ill get it cause its gonna cost like 5 dollars or so for all 3 books (thank god there is not more Razz) filler space for my shelf
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but what happened with Hirano that I don't know about? Anyway, I'm glad Ikigami picked up, but it's a shame that only happened right before the last volume. As for Mushishi, I got bored with it five volumes ago. When the Otomo movie makes a more compelling stand-alone film, you know the manga-ka's just milking it at that point.
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
I love Shugo Chara but this volume just did not seem up to the level of previous volumes.The feeling that too much was being crammed into this volume,makes me believe the ending is going to be rushed to a conclusion that will probably be unsatisfactory.And that the next volume is not due out until febuary man that sucks.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
Mushishi and Ikigami are among the five or so series i'm currently "voting for with my wallet." hopefully quality work like these will keep hitting the shores of english readership.

i love seeing the way you ingest and dissect thought-provoking titles like these, Carlos. as always, many thanks for all your reviews.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Put in a link for the Hirano news. Not everyone knows what you're talking about.
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Someone else can link to a better explanation (sankaku had some entries on it,) but a quick summary: Hirano has started doing some work as a TV talent, which annoyed a few of her otaku fans. During one show she mentioned a preference for older guys, which incensed some of the more brain dead among them. Some posted videos of themselves destroying all their Hirano merchandise.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Vulcannis wrote:
Someone else can link to a better explanation (sankaku had some entries on it,) but a quick summary: Hirano has started doing some work as a TV talent, which annoyed a few of her otaku fans. During one show she mentioned a preference for older guys, which incensed some of the more brain dead among them. Some posted videos of themselves destroying all their Hirano merchandise.

Woooowwww, although I thought most otaku were older anyway so that would've given them more of a chance. Still, sometimes I wonder how big the average Japanese disposable income is when you see the huge collections of stuff they have and how casual they are about it.

And it took me about five minutes to get the pun in the title today, please tell me I wasn't the only one.
Mirri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Vulcannis wrote:

She also admitted to dating multiple older men at the same time, didn't she? That made fans even angrier than the fact that she preferred older men, if I remember correctly.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Mirri: Woohoo! That means I'm eligible! May/December romances FTW, you whipper-snapper mofos! Laughing
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then look around in disappointment as you realize you still live in the real world.

I don't know about you, but I am PROFOUNDLY HAPPY to not be living in Ikigami.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
impossibly buxom

no
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote
I think what annoyed the Otaku fans of Aya Hirano most is not that she likes older man or that she dated two at the same time - but that she actually has a love life (omg she might not be a pure virgin?! (see the 'Kannagi scandal', and that was only a manga character)) and interest in any living man that is not said otaku fan.
Fans can be really obsessive and it is very common for idols like her to never have a boyfriend in order to pretend to be a pure innocent girl that her fans can dream about.

Vulcannis wrote:

yea, it seems that she is planning a career shift from voice acting to tv talent. Apparently her manager changed as well. Before that she went through a very difficult period, being completely overworked and stressed (losing her hair, not eating enough, getting sick etc).
That might be one reason for her desire to change her career, but also she actually seems to be fed up with the sugary otaku idol world and keeping up her perfect image. In one blog entry she said something about wanting to be true to her self and not singing the same superficial love songs all the time.

Weird that this hasn't been in the news on ANN seperately?
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Quote:
Then look around in disappointment as you realize you still live in the real world.

I don't know about you, but I am PROFOUNDLY HAPPY to not be living in Ikigami.

Not that the world of Mushishi would be much nicer. Living a rural life in world filled with invisible creatures capable of infesting your body or otherwise messing up your life in all kinds of horrible ways doesn't sound too appealing to me.

Still better than the world of Berserk though. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1