• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Natsu no Arashi! Manga to End in September

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Maybe someone will finally get the rights to the manga now? I mean I've been wanting to read it since I first saw the anime.

Maybe Shaft can make a season 3 now? I mean I enjoyed the first two seasons a lot.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I always wanted Yen to license this...
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping for a third season as well. I enjoyed the first season a lot, but the second season episodes had a lot more misses than hits, focusing more on one-shot gag episodes than the actual story. Need a third season to make up for that.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kill-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
well, Shaft didn't really followed the manga anyway.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd also like more of this to be animated. I thought the show was pretty funny. Here's hoping.
Togame

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote
What do you mean "Shaft did not follow the manga"?
The first season is almost one hundred percent accurate adaptation of the first three volumes, plus two anime-original episodes. The second season, well, adapts certain chapters from volumes 4 and 5 (episodes 1~3 plus 9~10) and the rest is filler for one simple reason - when S2 was planned, volume 6 of the manga was only coming out.

I, too, would absolutely love the third season, but expecting it is completely unreasonable. It's the single worst selling Shaft show ever, so unless Square Enix or King Records still managed to somehow profit on this even though DVD sales are horribly low, I can't see that happening. Well, if it won't be announced with tankobon #8 (will probably come out in November), then I'm afraid it won't be announced at all.

Next, the last three volumes of manga are a lot more dramatic and plot-driven than anything in season 2. It's a completely different feeling. And then again, if they would adapt it all, it would pretty much render then manga obsolete, since anime elaborates a little more on certain characters' development already - and rightfully so, since Kobayashi Jin himself was involved in the production.

All that said, I do wish for a closure for the animated version. But chances of it happening are slim. A shame, too. It's not like with other Shaft adaptations which end in the middle of nowhere - there's only 3 volumes left! One more season would be enough! And unlike Zetsubou Sensei or Hidamari Sketch, it's plot heavy. Some things just are not meant to be done right, I guess.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
I hope Del Rey or some publisher picks up the manga here...but if School Rumble did bad enough for Del Rey that they had to release it in an omnibus then I doubt they'll get Natsu no Arashi.

It would also be nice if Funimation got the anime since they released School Rumble, but if it was on Crunchyroll they probably passed...
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
Togame wrote:

I, too, would absolutely love the third season, but expecting it is completely unreasonable. It's the single worst selling Shaft show ever, so unless Square Enix or King Records still managed to somehow profit on this even though DVD sales are horribly low, I can't see that happening. Well, if it won't be announced with tankobon #8 (will probably come out in November), then I'm afraid it won't be announced at all.

Sales numbers please.

Because as far as I know the worst selling show they made was Maria Holic.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

That hurts my soul.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Togame

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sales numbers please.

Obviously I don't have any solid sources in my possession (and I am not entirely sure how far japanese forums from which that information comes count as solid anyway), but to my knowledge, it's something slightly under 1000 units per volume.

They also did not release the background music album for the second series separately, included it with S2 DVD 1 instead, probably in belief that it would not sell well on its own.

According to same very sources, Maria+Holic sold around 4500 units per volume, much better than Arashi and (ugh) Vampire Bund.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
As far as I know all sales numbers online for Japanese release are based on Oricon numbers, which lists the top 100 for DVD weekly for their subscribers. But there can be discrepancies when a title doen't make the chart for a week. Oricon still keep track of the top 300 even if they don't release the sales numbers for 101-300. Those numbers are added to sales totals when they release year end best seller lists, assuming any title like that made it to those lists. I think there might be a corporate Oricon account level which actually has the sales number for 101-300, but if so, it's probably not leaked like the regular numbers are.

Natsu no Arashi!
2009/06/24 **,*** Vol. 1 Limited Edition
2009/07/23 **,*** Vol. 2 Limited Edition
2009/08/26 **,*** Vol. 3 Limited Edition
2009/09/30 ***984 Vol. 4 Limited Edition

Natsu no Arashi! ~Akinaichuu~
2010/01/13 **,*** Vol. 1 Limited Edition
2010/02/10 **,*** Vol. 2 Limited Edition
2010/03/10 ***772 Vol. 3 Limited Edition
2010/04/21 **,*** Vol. 4 Limited Edition

Maria†Holic
2009/03/25 *4,548 Vol. 1
2009/04/24 *3,289 Vol. 2
2009/05/22 *3,689 Vol. 3
2009/06/25 *2,995 Vol. 4
2009/07/24 *2,740 Vol. 5
2009/08/25 *3,078 Vol. 6

Dance in the Vampire Bund
2010/03/25 *1,328 Vol. 1
2010/05/25 *1,313 Vol. 2
2010/06/25 *1,180 Vol. 3
2010/07/23 *1,132 Vol. 4

Numbers for Vampire Bund are blu-ray only, none of the DVDs managed to make the top 100. (Asterisks only for Arashi are volumes that didn't make that charts at all as well) But yes, Natsu no Arashi (both seasons) is the lowest selling SHAFT title I know of. It's pretty safe to assume all the volumes sold around 1000 or less. I doubt we'll be seeing any more unless someone has money to burn.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

That hurts my soul.

Maybe this will help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLHIGbj2p04

Joking aside, I am sure the OEL manga that Del Ray has licensed probably have done worse than that series. But maybe not, I sure don't know.
W-General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
May I make a suggestion to Kobayashi what his next manga should be?

School Rumble 2 / School Rumble Z2 / School Rumble ZZ, etc.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
But yes, Natsu no Arashi (both seasons) is the lowest selling SHAFT title I know of.

Japan has no taste.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
May I make a suggestion to Kobayashi what his next manga should be?

School Rumble 2 / School Rumble Z2 / School Rumble ZZ, etc.

I actually wish he'd go back and wrap up School Rumble properly. The end itself was fine (spoiler[but geez, poor Yakumo]), but it had zero build-up to it, just a lame time-skip and suddenly all couples have been decided without any explanation as to why. WTH?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2