• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satoshi Kon, His Wife, Madhouse Studio Write About His Passing

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCZilla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
If I wasn't in a public library, I'd bawl right now. I'm serious, I felt tears rising when I read Kon's last message. This just sucks too much. I can't take it.
vrillusions

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Quote:
With feelings of gratitude for all that is good in this world, I put down my pen.

Well, I'll be leaving now.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 'scuse me while I go cry now.

I thought I could keep it in, once I read that I lost it. First time I've ever been brought to tears on the passing of anyone other than family members. Had to go to the restroom at work for a few minutes (gave time for the forum confirmation link thing to send). Perfect Blue was one of the first maybe 5 anime dvd's I bought, purely impulse since I like psychological thrillers. Been a fan ever since. May he truely RIP, wherever he is.

...goes off to take another bathroom break Crying or Very sad
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
I saw him speak briefly at a Paprika screening during the National Cherry Blossom Festival in 2007. He seemed so full of life, as I recall, and so happy (and rightly so) with what he was able to accomplish.

This is a damn shame and a tremendous loss for the anime community at large. As one Twitter user put it, "It's not that anime will never be the same with Satoshi Kon gone. It's now much more likely that anime will always be the same."
TheBigN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Definitely a huge loss for Madhouse, for anime and for cinema in general. Sad
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
Sad

Kon was a legend and a true master of the art of animation. For me he represented some of the best of what Japanese animation has to offer and his contributions to the art form will be missed immensely. My deepest feelings and condolences go out to his friends and family, I just hope he was not in much pain these last couple of months.

The only thing I can say is even though he's gone at least his spirit lives on in the wonderful body of work he left behind. Let's hope Kon's legacy and contributions also live on and inspire the next generation of anime creators and filmmakers.

R.I.P
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
I didn't cry yesterday, but today... it's kinda hitting me harder, especially after reading that note. My throat hurts from trying to hold it in at work.

Pancreatic cancer is the worst. I suspected it might be that, especially since people had really no notice of it, and it seemed really fast. My co-worker got it, and she was gone in six months as well.

Like I said elsewhere, I am in awe at how many posters have come back to say their sympathies and goodbyes to Kon in this forum. Lots of old-timers that I haven't seen for months, or even years.
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
This is heartbreaking... so brave of him to keep going with his movie even after receiving the terrible news. So much talent and brilliance--he left us way too soon. And after Christopher Nolan just gave him a bit more Hollywood notoriety when he said in an interview that "Inception" was somewhat inspired by "Paprika." I wish he could have stayed and shown us more of the amazing world inside his head.

RIP, Director Kon, and thank you for everything.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
Reading his last message is heartbreaking, but I now admire him even more than before, knowing that he worked on his movie until the very end.

What a great person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
This sucks.

The thing about pancreatic cancer is that you rarely know you've got it until it's too late to do anything about it. It's very aggressive, so fast that you barely have time to think. It's a brutal disease.

Satoshi Kon handled it with grace and dignity, and that's just awesome.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
The news that he died was sad enough but this, is really sad, but also very inspiring. He was an amazing person.
Forough

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Such sad news for all who enjoy anime. It's a great loss. I salute him for not giving up on his last anime even though he knew he does not have much time left. R.I.P Satoshi Kon.
smoochy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Even though death is inevitable, it still hits hardest when it's unexpected. I haven't watched any anime or read any manga in a long time, but Satoshi Kon holds a special place in my heart. His films were some of the first anime I ever saw and still some of the best. It's painful to think that there'll never be another Millenium Actress or Paranoia Agent caliber work from this man. His work had a heart and feeling to it all uniquely his own, and the world is worse off without it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
God, I have tears in my eyes right now. That last message is just...ugh. Sad I've loved Kon's style ever since I saw the first episode of Paranoia Agent on [as], and getting the chance to see Paprika at a local film festival well before its DVD release was one of the best moments of my anime fandom. Even though I don't strictly have the money for it right now, I ordered copies of Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress right after this news hit me, since I'd never forgive myself for not owning them if I missed my chance. Kon, thank you so much for sharing your amazing dream worlds with all of us. You were taken away much too soon.
rabrek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The man's grace and composure... I just... no words.
zhir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, I thought I had recovered, but reading this made me tear up again...

It sounds like he really wanted to finish his last film. I hope he was far enough along on it to be as satisfied as he could be with his passing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11