• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spider-Man Producer Avi Arad Becomes I.G. USA Chair

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
Good pickup. It makes their entry into the US market seem a lot bolder than other companies who seem to think the pinnacle of being a multinational entity is simply selling your own DVDs in a foreign land.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
Hopefully he wasn't involved with the third film for Spider- and X-Men.

I can't check yet cause Wikipedia's down for some reason.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling that we could see future US-Japanese anime co-productions in the style of recent one like Batman: Gotham Knight, Halo Legends, and Supernatural anime since Arad is now chair of IG USA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
No more Hollywood live-action anime adaptions, please.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
Avi Arad is a Brilliant man. Anyone Remember Evil Dead?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:

then by your logic, should we stop adapting book, comic book, and other medium into live-action movie adaptation because I could tell you some book into live-action movie that really go bad. Also did you know James Bond movie was not really faithful to the book yet I never hear people badmouthing it. Look I don't see any problem with anime going live-action as long as they do it right. Dragonball Evolution wasn't that bad, Blood: The last vampire live-action was decent enough. Japan and Taiwan turn anime into live action movie why not US. Did you know Japan adapted Spiderman into a Super-sentai/Kamen Rider style show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
This isn't about selling anime properties to people that want to produce live action. This is about getting Hollywood to fund anime properties, as Japan's domestic sources of funding for that sort of thing dry up.

Enough with the "baawww live action adaptations suck" stuff. Wrong topic.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Hopefully he wasn't involved with the third film for Spider- and X-Men.

Avi Arad is a money guy, he doesn't really have much to do with whether the movies end up being good or bad.
Durga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Avi Arad is a Brilliant man. Anyone Remember Evil Dead?
I think you've got him confused with Sam Raimi.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
This isn't about selling anime properties to people that want to produce live action. This is about getting Hollywood to fund anime properties, as Japan's domestic sources of funding for that sort of thing dry up.

Considering the flow of money through Hollywood and the incredible frugality of the anime industry by comparison, even very modest success on a "Hollywood producer" scale seems like it could be extremely useful for Japanese anime studio.

Edit: Not "excellent news" in its own right, to be sure, but quite possibly a useful step toward excellent news ... so encouraging news.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
A smart move, to bag an enlgish speaker who has contacts and knowledge of the U.S market. It would be nice to see more business come out of this from IG, as well as them possibly establish a U.S studio, that could work on more potential anime projects or other IP. I think if freed from that sometimes claustrphobic japanese studio environment and hive thinking, new blood can be found and ideas born under their U.S wing.

Wishful thinking perhaps.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
unready

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Jessica Hart wrote:

... did you know James Bond movie was not really faithful to the book yet I never hear people badmouthing it. Look I don't see any problem with anime going live-action as long as they do it right.

Let's see, in the books James Bond usually gets the crap beaten out of him; he's a borderline alcoholic who hates his job; and he rarely ever gets the girl.

The closest adaptation was probably On Her Majesty's Secret Service. One guy I know says of that movie, "That movie sucked. James Bond is James Bond. James Bond doesn't cry." Well, in the book he did. Then in the next book he got amnesia, had a child with a Japanese pearl diver, and got tortured and brainwashed by the KGB when (in his amnesia) he thought he might be Russian, so he left her and went to Moscow. I never saw Sean Connery do any of those things in the movies. The reason nobody complains about how the movies aren't gritty (or don't even remotely follow the story lines of the books whose titles they share) is that very few people who see the movies have ever read the books.

By comparison, Heath Ledger wowed vast portions of the movie-going populace in a movie that pretty much had absolutely nothing to do with canonical Batman.

OTOH most people who post here have seen Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Beebop, to name some recently relevant titles.

mdo7 wrote:
Dragonball Evolution wasn't that bad, Blood: The last vampire live-action was decent enough.

Suddenly I think you and I have different conceptions of "bad" and "decent."

Onizuka666 wrote:
A smart move, to bag an enlgish speaker who has contacts and knowledge of the U.S market.

I think the smart move is getting someone who's already involved in bank-rolling US movie productions, instead of just establishing a remote-controlled Hollywood liaison that would be doomed to eventual failure. And BTW, how come Sony Pictures (nee Columbia) hasn't tried a similar trans-Pacific collaboration already? (Or have they?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1