• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which is better, One Piece sub or dub?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HazukiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Just curious as to people's opinions, plus I'm interested in starting the series again, if only to say I watched it.
Thanks much! : )

Last edited by HazukiNinja on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
While I think that FUNimation has done an excellent job in casting and the actual performance of the English dub, I'm of the opinion that watching it with the original Japanese audio will have a larger effect on the viewer, particularly in the more emotional scenes.

But of course, if you are someone who prefers to watch anime dubbed in English, then you will most likely enjoy One Piece more with that audio choice.
HazukiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks ^^ I'm more of a sub person myself, but I've discovered some good dubs out there; Romeo X Juliet and Eden of the East particularly good in my opinion. Dubbed anime like Naruto and Peach Girl (save yourself, never watch it) kind of makes me wary of the English versions ^^;
gundam83

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
One piece is my favourite anime but I hate it in english! Sub all the way! The voice actors in japenese are great they all fit the look and personality of each of the characters!LONG LIVE ONE PIECE! Very Happy
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
For starters, I like One Piece and I am assuming others that post in this thread do as well. That said, without starting a dub vs. sub war (which almost never ends well) I like the English audio, but the Japanese audio is much better than the original One Piece dub.

The Funimation dub of One Piece is exceptional. Chris Sabat is awesome and you can tell he is suited for Zoro (I repeat Zoro NOT Zolo. I mean seriously, what the heck is a Zolo anyway?)

During the show, Chris really puts a ton of effort in saying his attacks, so well at certain parts of the show, you'd think he was there actually fighting himself and not Zoro. Also, just by his voice alone, you can tell he is taking his job seriously and not holding back at all. None of this wishy washy lack of effort work and he is making the lines he is reading his own.

Also, just by the way Chris sounds, you can tell he is awesome. Even during normal conversation, you can tell he means what he states and isn't pretending to be cool. He simply just is and isn't a jerk about it either.

Honestly speaking, Chris Sabat is second reason why you should watch the show in English if you like English audio tracks. He may not be 100% perfect (but nothing seldom is) but he put's a ton of effort in his work and really knows what he is doing.

The other voice actors are pretty good, but despite the fact I like the entire cast of voice actors, only Luffy voice actor comes close to the level of excellence that Zoro's voice actor has. All the voice actors in this series are very talented, but Chirs Sabat is on a whole other level.

I will say though, Luffy's voice actor really tries her best to sound like a energetic head strong man and where she shines is when Luffy is fighting at full 100% intensity and is giving his all. When the original voice actor for Luffy said Gum Gum, it sounded odd and was done with minimal effort.

But when Colleen Clinkenbeard does it, it actually sounds quite cool and exceptionally professional with a vast amount of effort as well.

But the original theme for the first season is the number three reason why I recommend watching the series in English. Truthfully, I must have re-played the theme song at least three times before I actually watched the anime because Victor Joseph Mignogna did such a great job on it.

But what was so great was the theme song fit the show perfectly, much like most of the Funimation theme songs. I also found the theme song uplifting and very energetic as well. If there ever was a reason to watch an anime series because of a English theme song, I honestly think the One Piece season one theme song would be an easy win.

But remember, sub or dub, we are all watching the same thing. If you like Japanese audio, that is fine, much like watching English audio is fine as well. I still think Chris Sabat is really awesome, but that doesn't mean I'll put down the Japanese audio.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
I'm not a huge fan of the series but one of the main joys I get from it is listening to Luffy's voice in the sub. He sounds hilarious and usually brings a smile to my face. The English dub is good, but the lack of jpn Luffy is a big one for me.
Sora/Sanctuary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
Personaly I prefer......Both! (as long as the sub is a legal version) Truth fully I'v never has a problem switching back and forth between sub and dub.

In the case of One Piece I find the dub to be easyer for me to watch however for parts that have a lot of emotion and drama (and this is for any anime) i would prefer the sub version. Because when u watch the sud u have to be watching the screen and paying attention so u get more of the emotion because its basicly forcing u to pay attention.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I prefer subs. Luffy's voice is so unique that it is impossible to replicate in dub. I don't feel like the English version captures Luffy's tone or emotion and his charisma doesn't come through in English either. Luffy without Mayumi Tanaka doing the voice just doesn't feel right to me.

But, it's all up to personal preference.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Ya just can't beat the original audio for one piece. This topic should have been original audio vs dub, because subtitles are just text. Duh, right. Doesn't matter, I get it.

Goddamn I love all the recycled sound effects from Dragonball that they use in One piece's animation too. It's too cool. Brings me back.

I think the dub is decent, but like Guren Alchemist4 said, after watching 10 years of One Piece, my brain won't accept anyone but Mayumi Tanaka as the voice of Luffy. Hell, It bugs me just hearing the different seiyu's for Smoker and Mihawk in the current episodes.

spoiler[Funimation needs their own channel. They're current route won't last forever, they're dependency on Dragonball fans won't last forever, they need a channel + what they are trying to do online. We need a channel that is dedicated to anime. Unlike those that have failed before it. Put the good shit on. Marathon a few series, that's how people watch their anime. And for the love of god : No Live-action. F**k live action. We are Japanese animation fans trying to escape from the reality of our own live action. The two don't mix, and never will mix. ]
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Subs. I thought the original dub from 4kids had an ok voice cast, but their editing was terrible, while I found Funimation's voice casting to be mediocre. To be fair I haven't listened to the English for One Piece in a while so it might have gotten better, but I would still say subs are the way to go as most of the Japanese VAs have a uniqueness in their voices for their roles that can't be captured in English, particularly Luffy as someone mentioned earlier.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
I personally slightly prefer the dub cast. To me, humor works better in my own native language, so I find the jokes more hilarious in the dub, and I think the dub actors do a good job in the dramatic parts.
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:22 am Reply with quote
Sub for sure. Neither dub can beat the original version.
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I actually prefer the funimation dub over the sub version. I can watch both sub or dub - no preference to either for almost all anime series. However, I originally gave up One Piece when watch it subbed. Some of the voice actors' voices grated me. I decided give it another chance but dubbed this time and it was the dub that had me enjoying the series.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I dabbled with a season of both OP dubs since both made it on TV here. I dropped the each one because everything sounded generic and I was not able to get emotionally attached to any performance during supposed emotional scenes.

Earlier this year for some odd reason I checked out the original language version. The voices meshed well with the characters and the variety of voices used provided a needed audio texture and diversity. Not only was I able to get past the seasons I had once seen on TV, I was able to get completely current with the most recent OP episode on Hulu/Funi.
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
GhstDreamer wrote:
I actually prefer the funimation dub over the sub version. I can watch both sub or dub - no preference to either for almost all anime series. However, I originally gave up One Piece when watch it subbed. Some of the voice actors' voices grated me. I decided give it another chance but dubbed this time and it was the dub that had me enjoying the series.

Which voices would that be?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3