• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Bein' a Hata

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pirsqua

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I think you mean Takeshi Koike, not Takashi Koike... the link at the end of the third paragraph is obviously the wrong person.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not trying to be rude, but I think the DVD cover art for Sirius no Densetsu is actually very good. In fact, I think it's better than most I've seen. I REALLY want to get the DVD for this. I sincerely hope Discotek will save other classic anime titles, like Ringing Bell or maybe even the Dog of Flanders anime movie!! Of course, those are dreams that will likely never come true.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Sea Prince & the Fire Child. I keep hearing great things about it...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I've heard about the Sea Prince and Fire Child once or twice before and really want to try it but Netflix does not seem to have a copy of it. Still, off to goes to my to-watch list and hopefully I'll get a chance sooner rather than later.
pomocho

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Great article, Mike. Your insight and knowledge continues to astound me.

As someone who obsessively watched and re-watched battered VHS copies of Sea Prince and the Fire Child and Little Nemo - Adventures in Slumberland as a kid, it was quite a nostalgic trip to read through Masami Hata's career retrospective. I'm eager to pick up Discotek's DVD release and return to the surreal, melancholic fever dream of his quasi-forgotten classic.

(And speaking of Hata and Discotek... I'm going to continue crossing my fingers and holding my breath for a DVD box-set of the Mushi-Pro trilogy; knowing their penchant for releasing classic, ground-breaking, or experimental anime titles from the sixties and seventies, it seems like a perfect fit. That, for me, would be the release of the century.)
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Little Nemo? That's the one with the NES video game, right?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some are sharp enough to follow on with Isao Takahata, Mamoru Oshii, and maybe Satoshi Kon and Katsuhiro Otomo and Rintaro.

I see that Makoto Shinkai has yet to find a place in this list. Rintaro has been mentioned however, so I shall make no further quarrel of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Koichi Mashimo, who directed the awesome Dirty Pair: Project Eden and Irresponsible Captain Tylor before joining the Bee Train-fueled dark side?

I'm sure that should have been, "before going on to make the quintessential Girls with Guns trilogy of the turn of the century, Noir in 2001, Madlax in 2004, and El Cazador de la Bruja in 2007 (streaming).

I'm not great at remembering names, but if I am ever by accident at a convention and am ever confronted with the question of favorite director's, I'm going to remember "that guy that made the Bee Train Girls With Guns trilogy".
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
What, no mention of Ryutaro Nakamura in the stream of directors?

but.. maybe he'll just have to get his own write up next week Very Happy
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Little Nemo! I saw that movie as a kid. All I remember was that it was creepy as hell. Red eyes peering out of clouds, possibly living black ooze flying out of doors, it's enough to give someone nightmares! Razz

Seeing this massive list of productions I'm largely unfamiliar with reminds how much anime I've yet to see, and how much stuff from the 60's and 70's has yet to be (re)discovered.
RacketPunch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Thought provoking as always. Though it seems many anime fans would be hard pressed to name even ONE anime director, at least according to AWO.

I also notice that ANN's Web 2.0 link-generation dingus has thoughtfully linked the reference to Mary Poppins to the entry for the musical duo PoppinS, best known for the ending theme to the ecchi fanservice series DearS.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I pre-ordered my Sea Prince and the Fire Child DVD back during the TRSI back to school sale, I can't wait to finally get my mitts on it! Here's hoping they'll release any and/or all of his previous works on DVD too if this one goes well, but I'm just saying that my copy's reserved!
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see Junichi Sato profiled. He's directed a whole bunch of awesome and important anime. Plus, you haven't even done a single column on shoujo anime yet. Crying or Very sad
skchai1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
It was perhaps inevitable that Little Nemo would turn out like that. It's such a huge landmark in U.S. comic art and narrative, yet it never reached animation for many decades after McCay's death. Probably each luminary participant came in with their own preconceived vision of what Little Nemo the Animation would be if they finally got the opportunity and budget. If so, and given the egos involved, it's not surprising they disagreed and eventually dropped out. Hata, judging from his past record, is quite willing to work within a wide range of commercially-driven studio constraints, while making the best anime he can within those constraints. I think we are as lucky to have such craftsmen directors as we are having the auteur-directors mentioned beforehand - there would be a lot more garbage lying around otherwise, and they help to protect the industry's reputation as a whole, otherwise there would be few opportunities for the auteurs to get funded.
skchai1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I second Sato Junichi. And in general directors who work primarily on TV anime. They don't get the same level of respect because they supposedly work in an artistically "inferior" medium due to budget and time constraints. It is true that budget plays a role, but very interesting things can be done (potentially, at least), particularly within the late night slots. You mentioned Mashimo and I think Kawajiri but what about Maeda Mahiro, Yuasa Masaaki, Mochizuki Tomomi, Watanabe Shinichi(ro) to name a few? Not to mention Tomino, Kawamori, and, yes, Shinbo?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3