• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Bride Is a Mermaid: Season 1 DVD Part 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moridinakadeath

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
I do remember not loving this show at the beginning; but I loved some of the latter eps. It's one of the only shows I've ever gone back and watched single episodes of.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
So after 25 episodes of hearing "Written as Mermaid, pronounced as Chivalry" or whatever the dub said (something about "under the seas" if I remember right, I quickly reverted back to the sub even with all that dialect) and having San save Nagasumi's behind so many times, it's suddenly bad that Nagasumi has to save San in the end?

Are you joking me? Honestly, Carl, are you joking? Please tell me you are. Please tell me you actually picked up the blatant Hokuto no Ken parody in the last episodes.

Also, it seemed you completely missed Shiranui's other purpose, that of spoiler[being Masa's long lost sister].

Anyway, loved the show. Easily on par with Excel Saga as far as parody/homage anime go, and I hope that FUNi licenses the OVA just so I can hear Violent Song with English dubbing (that will be hilarious).
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:29 am Reply with quote
Sorry to say, but you missed a lot of this series. The "read it as/ write it as" is a blatant ripoff of Japanese Yakuza movies, and the last battle....... YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD!.

And what's wrong with Nagasumi being a man and rescuing San for a change. God knows he's been rescued by every other character in the show at least once. Let the guy have his CMOA.

Also...season 1? There is no season 2, so why label it as "season 1"?
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
why do the reviewers on this site have such a problem with comedies having serious moments? personally the finale was by far one of my favorite moments in the series.
Demon of Rashomon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
Honestly, while I loved it I can see where he's coming from. To enjoy this I switched my brain off mostly and consumed the energy it gave off. If that energy lapsed then I can totally see it becoming dull.
But really, even though in the context of the show the reversal of rescuer and rescuee at the end has changed around it really does fall neatly into that damsel in distress trope. Is that bad? That's a matter of personal taste.
Serge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote
Just to let you know that the FUNimation Version is censored, I can't exactly remember where and when, but I do remember one, compare the second ending song to the original Japanese one (youtube it), the R1 is just a still, where the japanese one is a whole video.
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
Just to let you know that the FUNimation Version is censored, I can't exactly remember where and when, but I do remember one, compare the second ending song to the original Japanese one (youtube it), the R1 is just a still, where the japanese one is a whole video.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder why they had it as still throughout the whole series? It was funny to see the characters moving. I also thought that on the first ending sequence on the later versions with more characters it seemed kind of blurry. Maybe that was just me though.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
Serge wrote:

I don't know if you'd consider that censorship, but it's definitely a mess-up on someone's side...

This came up on AOD...
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
It would have been nice to know ahead of time I was buying a censored show. I wonder if it was anything major?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
archaron wrote:
It would have been nice to know ahead of time I was buying a censored show. I wonder if it was anything major?

From what I understand, it's not censored, Funimation just modified the ED so they could fit all the credits in. That's all. Honestly, that's such a tiny thing to bitch about that I had to get a face mask to soften the blows from all the facepalms I've been doing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
archaron wrote:

From what I understand, it's not censored, Funimation just modified the ED so they could fit all the credits in. That's all. Honestly, that's such a tiny thing to bitch about that I had to get a face mask to soften the blows from all the facepalms I've been doing.

Thats good to hear its not anything major. Thanks King of Hearts for the info.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
archaron wrote:

Several people on AnimeOnDVD are blowing up over it, and I'm feeling the same way...why complain about something that most people probably skip over?
Demon of Rashomon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
It's a massive shame this is true, but it's not a deal breaker when it comes to the crunch. I will still buy/import it because I'm in it for the show not the afters, however much I enjoy the endings.
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Several people on AnimeOnDVD are blowing up over it, and I'm feeling the same way...why complain about something that most people probably skip over?

Why do you think? Because some of us enjoyed it and don't skip over it.

I'll still be buying the DVD's because I love the show, but this ticks me off. I don't give 2 craps about the credits, and if I did a separate, extra english credits would have been fine. I waited years for a quality, licensed release and they go and cut it up despite having alternatives.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
which ending are people saying got edited? is it the first or the second and how so?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2