• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Daily Video: Steins;Gate Anime Teaser by Nitroplus, 5pb.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scchan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
The original visual novel comes out in Xbox 360 last year, and is ported to Windows (released just last month). The plot involves modern physics - from time travel to string theory, and even "SERN" (CERN) makes an appearance, a lot of Otaku jokes (cosplays, nekomimi, "Mobile Hero Gunbam" -_-).

I hope the anime will be great Very Happy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping the show doesn't turn to complete trash halfway through the series like Chaos;Head did.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
The chances of that are high right from the get-go. I checked the first chapter of the manga and man was it awful. Bad enough to drop the anime from my "to-check" list.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
Yes, that sounds like a very realistic version of Akihabara. Everyone knows it's the center of all time travel research. Wink

Seriously, though, this sounds like it could be interesting. I approve of any series that tries to root its time travel in real physics (see: Noein). But I really wish there'd been some actual footage of the series. The promo art looks nice, but unless they have a simply MASSIVE budget, there's going to be some simplification of that gritty look.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
This sounds like Otaku pandering of the lowest demeanor Rolling Eyes
4nBlue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
This sounds like Otaku pandering of the lowest demeanor Rolling Eyes

What!? What part of the plot summary made this seem like otaku pandering. Akihabara as setting? Durarara wasn't fujoshi pandering even though it was set in Ikebukuro.

Akihabara seems like a very natural setting for this considering that it's the Electric Town, and you can be sure that the setting is accurate, because Nitroplus is located in Akihabara.

Tenebrae wrote:
The chances of that are high right from the get-go. I checked the first chapter of the manga and man was it awful. Bad enough to drop the anime from my "to-check" list.

95% of the manga based on visual novels are crap. Xbox 360's Steins;Gate has a rating of 95 out of 100 with 239 votes at ErogameScape(NSFW), that is a ridiculously high ranking (I haven't seen a game with more than 10 votes that has a higher ranking).

Game's OP and PV.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I gotta be honest. Never use a manga of a video game or visual novel to determine how the animated adaptation will be. 95% of the time, they're all crap (I think the only ones I liked were Higurashi/Umineko)
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:

95% of the manga based on visual novels are crap. Xbox 360's Steins;Gate has a rating of 95 out of 100 with 239 votes at ErogameScape(NSFW), that is a ridiculously high ranking (I haven't seen a game with more than 10 votes that has a higher ranking).

I just discovered elsewhere that there's apparently two Steins Gate manga out there. I'll have to look for the other one, but it leaves me wondering which manga is based on the game, the awful one or the one I haven't seen. Or are they both? Neither? Oh well.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
4nBlue wrote:

I just discovered elsewhere that there's apparently two Steins Gate manga out there. I'll have to look for the other one, but it leaves me wondering which manga is based on the game, the awful one or the one I haven't seen. Or are they both? Neither? Oh well.

They are probably both based on the game but that doesn't mean it will represent how good or bad the anime will be. Anyways I wouldn't judge it unless you played the actual game and think its bad because like the others have said manga based on VN are never that good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1