• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Article titles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SayaSe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
Have you ever considered to not capitalize the first letter in every word? It's a pain to read and doesn't make any grammatical sense.

Takashi Murakami Makes Anime for Versailles Exhibit
Takashi Murakami makes anime for Versailles exhibit

Tamayura Ad Streamed for New Anime by Aria Helmer Sato
Tamayura ad streamed for new anime by Aria helmer Sato

New Jersey's MangaNEXT Convention to Host Akino Kondoh
New Jersey's MangaNEXT convention to host Akino Kondoh

etc.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
My understanding was that for a title it is grammatically correct to capitalize the first letter of every word (except for stuff like the/for/to etc.) I also don't personally find it any harder to read either way so I'm not sure I see it as an issue.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:56 am Reply with quote
Yup, it's pretty conventional and considered grammatically correct for a title to be spelled with each primary word capitalized. This is how it's done pretty much all the time with book and film titles. Pick up a newspaper and the split will be about 50/50 with some doing it and others not. Magazines are similar to that ratio as well.

Either way, the point is that it's fairly common practice and is generally accepted. Personally, I don't find it hard to read at all. *shrug*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SayaSe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:07 am Reply with quote
Capitalizing titles is fine, applying the same rule when the "title" consists of an entire sentence is being inflexible. Instead you're making it harder to see actual titles and names within your titles.

It's hardly something everyone does either.

http://www.engadget.com/
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
Of course not, I never said it was something everyone did. I simply said it was something commonly done. Ultimately it isn't my call as I'm just a mod anyways, my position is within the forum only, I was just giving my 2 cents.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Farix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
The first and last works in a title must always be capitalized, along with all nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. This is a basic capitalization rule that is taught in elementary school, so I find the claim that it "doesn't make any grammatical sense" to be rather dubious.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd be much more put-off by it not being properly capitalized (everything except for particles).
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
SayaSe wrote:
Capitalizing titles is fine, applying the same rule when the "title" consists of an entire sentence is being inflexible.

You're recommending AP style, in other words? AP style is largely used in journalism, but not by everyone. As long as they are consistent, it doesn't really matter. Those example headlines you gave are not sentences, btw.

farix wrote:
This is a basic capitalization rule that is taught in elementary school, so I find the claim that it "doesn't make any grammatical sense" to be rather dubious.

This rule does not apply in all places and to all languages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1