• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Removes Urban Vision Titles from Catalog

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Mod edit: In case you missed it, UV issued a statement.

How much business can you be doing if you aren't shipping product out to someplace like Right Stuf? Not to mention, they haven't licensed anything, anime or live action, since 2008. Their titles are also not available through Amazon, except Market Place retailers.

However, I guess their own online store still lists their current licenses for sale and at half off. I thought perhaps they were just liquidating their own stock.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of them before.

Probably not a good idea to burn a bridge with one of the more well-known anime DVD distributors.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
So... you're still in business but not answering orders from a major anime retailer in a proper manner? Don't expect to be in business very long if that's you're standard procedure... Shocked
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I guess that makes sense. Can't sell stuff you don't have or can't get.

I don't like to shop on Right Stuf anyway. I prefer to buy stuff that is in-stock not "in-stock". Every order I've placed on Right-Stuf, which totals to 8, I believe... all said "in-stock" but then, come to find out, were not in stock. One of them I waited around almost 2 months before officially cancelling the order...haven't ordered since.

On the other note, I didn't even know Urban Vision was still in business; I thought they've been gone for years, just sold off their titles or something, hahaha.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... guess this means I should pick up the Vampire Hunter D movies before even the used prices get too high...
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

I don't like to shop on Right Stuf anyway. I prefer to buy stuff that is in-stock not "in-stock". Every order I've placed on Right-Stuf, which totals to 8, I believe... all said "in-stock" but then, come to find out, were not in stock. One of them I waited around almost 2 months before officially cancelling the order...haven't ordered since.

On the other note, I didn't even know Urban Vision was still in business; I thought they've been gone for years, just sold off their titles or something, hahaha.

If you could provide me with details on this, I'd love to see them. Although our inventory is not completely real time, it is updated every hour, so this really shouldn't have happened to you this frequently - once in a while, yes, but not that many times. Feel free to email me at [email protected].
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Rhona Medina, director of sales at Urban Vision wrote:

Right now Urban Vision Entertainment has been going through restructuring our business model and operations. Given today's economic climate, physical distribution of goods has become riskier — just look at the companies that were devastated when Musicland threw it in. Thus, we've been working more towards broadcasting and online avenues of distribution — such as Amazon on Demand, Netflix, and YouTube.
While our DVDs may be harder to find right now, we're working on ways to improve our distribution.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I've never heard of them before.

Vampire Hunter D?
So sad.
They never had a lot & a lot were older. I believe they had more live action? Not positive.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for getting off topic!

Lady Multi wrote:

Must just be unlucky.

In my experience I've been buying from Rightstuf for 3 years, I've ordered from them probably close to 20 time as a matter of fact and I've never had that experience. In fact, once I happened to order something that went out of stock too quickly (it was a huge sale) and they contacted me twice to apologize for the delay and find out whether I wanted to keep my order or cancel. I waited it out and as soon as they got the item in stock (only a short time) they shipped it out as soon as possible. I've never had anything to complain about, least of all their customer service.

Last edited by lostinagoodbook on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Right now Urban Vision Entertainment has been going through restructuring our business model and operations.

Right now? More like for the last five years! Anyway, if they're gonna do the Youtube, why not upload the rest of Strange Dawn?
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
That's kind of disappointing for fans who want a physical package but I hope they do well with their digital distribution.
Lincolne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

I have been ordering from them 2 years and have 22 orders. and i have the best luck with them. my favorite store.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

I've placed 370 orders with them, just archived the 344th as completed & 26 open orders.
If it says "In Stock" it usually ships pretty quick unless you waited too long. I've had them drop out of stock waiting during a sale, but they still have to rely on the original companies. Funi & their own titles often ship prior to street date if you pre-order early enough. I was getting Gravitation a month early by pre-ordering early. If the street date passes on a pre-order, I always put the blame on the distributor. (I'm growing suspicious DMP is slow to encourage people to shop Akadot. Yashakiden 2 claims it was printed in May, I ordered in June & just got it last week.)
Drama Queen is another story. I see the Mandayuu & Me I ordered 10/1/06 has a release date at the end of the month...we'll see.
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Lincolne wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

I have been ordering from them 2 years and have 22 orders. and i have the best luck with them. my favorite store.

The only problem I've ever had with Right Stuf was when I had the wrong credit card number...
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

I've placed 370 orders with them, just archived the 344th as completed & 26 open orders.

Shocked
Anime exclamation
I'm impressed! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5