• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spice and Wolf Light Novel Series Enters Final Story Arc

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:00 am Reply with quote
Ah, it seems like alot the good ones are ending these past few months. Anyway, I hope we get to see all the Spice and Wolf Volumes released here. I will keep buy them I know that.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:56 am Reply with quote
Could this mean... a third series (will be on the way soon, that is)?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
probably. i just hope it's more interesting than the first two....
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

Holo is not amused, and throws an eaten apple in your face Razz

But yeah, here's hoping that a final season of Spice and Wolf is being planned. Also hoping that Yen Press will release all the novels (not that there's any indication that they wont)
soh_vet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
i don't know if this is good or bad news. although it does say it is not the end of the series and beginning of a new arc.

i haven't read any of the light novels or have watched season 2. I enjoyed season 1 so much that i refuse to watch s2 on a monitor and am waiting patiently for Funimiation to release it.

this is one series i was really surprised with and found it's (as stated in article) non-sword/sorcery elements a refreshing change.

hopes for a season 3 as well. If not, after i'm done with S2 i'll start reading the light novels (even though it seems the story doesn't end and i do like my stories to have closure).
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quote
Oh, I hope it has a happy ending! *crosses fingers*
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

Holo is not amused, and throws an eaten apple in your face Razz

I throw a second apple, this one pickled in honey so it's all sticky and such. Twisted Evil
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
I really hope it is a happy ending. Not that I always need a happy ending, but these two have been through enough that they should get a happy ever after.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
Ah, it seems like alot the good ones are ending these past few months.

And many of them Yen Press titles to boot. Bamboo Blade, Nabari no Ou, and the S & W novels. I smell a conspiracy...... Wink
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
The opinion of somebody who has watched both anime seasons, but read none of the LNs: I think that we'll get a happy ending, though exactly what form that will take in this case I'm really not sure (probably a bittersweet variant). Spice and Wolf isn't built for Greek tragedy, as far as I'm concerned.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
My mission is to remain spoiler free for the next 5 years while waiting for all the light novel releases by Yen Press. Smile

I wonder what direction the anime will go? So far the anime has been faithfully following the light novels. I'm not sure if we will get that in the future. That's if we even get a third season.
soh_vet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
The opinion of somebody who has watched both anime seasons, but read none of the LNs: I think that we'll get a happy ending, though exactly what form that will take in this case I'm really not sure (probably a bittersweet variant). Spice and Wolf isn't built for Greek tragedy, as far as I'm concerned.

I too am someone watching the Anime (haven't read novels..yet) and agree that the anime doesn't have the greek tragedy vibe and i think most fans would be somewhat irate if this tale didn't have a happy ending and i don't particularly think a bittersweet ending would suffice. (this coming from someone who doesn't like happy endings - but somehow i really enjoy the banter, lessens and budding romance b/t Lawrence & holo)
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
I've seen a lot of anime to know that no matter how much a series seems one way, they can end horribly.

I can see Lawrence and Holo going their separate ways and Lawerence saying something like, "She will always be in my heart but we couldn't live together forever. This is the best."

But it won't be for the best no matter how much they try and convince me, and everyone will be unsatisfied.

Worst ending would be netorare which almost happened in Season 2, so I wouldn't put it past him.

I need to plan for the worst. Anime almost never end with the couple actually getting together without a shadow of a doubt.
soh_vet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
I've seen a lot of anime to know that no matter how much a series seems one way, they can end horribly.

I can see Lawrence and Holo going their separate ways and Lawerence saying something like, "She will always be in my heart but we couldn't live together forever. This is the best."

But it won't be for the best no matter how much they try and convince me, and everyone will be unsatisfied.

Worst ending would be netorare which almost happened in Season 2, so I wouldn't put it past him.

I need to plan for the worst. Anime almost never end with the couple actually getting together without a shadow of a doubt.

i totally understand what you're saying. the fact that i actually want a happy ending for L&H is a deathflag already. damn my wantings!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Bored_Ming wrote:
My mission is to remain spoiler free for the next 5 years while waiting for all the light novel releases by Yen Press. Smile

I wonder what direction the anime will go? So far the anime has been faithfully following the light novels. I'm not sure if we will get that in the future. That's if we even get a third season.

I was considering that, given that there's still an overabundance of source material left to work with I think. Ironic that that would cause a divergence of all things...

TheZeonicFront wrote:
've seen a lot of anime to know that no matter how much a series seems one way, they can end horribly.

Or more generally, they can just veer in a completely different direction irrespective of the established mood; not that this is necessarily a bad thing. spoiler[Mai-HiME, ef--Clannad AS, though that was pretty bleh--even Code Geass/R2 sort of comes to mind.] Anyway, as much as I, like soh_vet, am a big fan of the relationship, if Spice and Wolf wants to pull off some really whacked out $#!7 and can do it well, I won't be disappointed. Though as a mindless proll I think I'd still rather get what I intuitively want/expect.

Quote:

It's funny, I just finished watching spoiler[Kimi ni Todoke.] Of course it's plain to see what will go on to happen in the manga, but the complete lack of closure at the end of episode 25 was still a source of hilarity for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2