• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You think that Asuka and Rei are Moe?

Rei is a kuudere, and Asuka is a tsundere; both are branches of the tree called moe. Remember when Taiga won that moe contest despite being a tsundere?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Tsundere isn't automatically Moe, although the "dere" part can induce Moe-like feelings. Taiga is Tsundere, no doubt about that, and if she won a tournament then she's probably Moe too. But Asuka is a perfect example of someone who does not engender the Moe reaction from people, yet she's a Tsundere. I'm not so sure about Rei being a Kuudere either; she never defrosts, even to Shinji. Or Gendo for that matter (coughEOEcough).
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Disagreed. Kuudere and tsundere are automatically part of moe. Tsun referring to the bitter* side, and dere to the sweet* side of a character. If the character has no sweet* (dere) side, then said character is by no means a tsundere. The sweet* side, in this case, equaling to cuteness**.

*My own simplified definition. Most known definitions not very different.
**Moe.

Rei spoiler[did show her sweet (dere) side to Gendo at some point. Eventually, but not directly, she did the same to Shinji (more as a mother at this point).
She indeed had a cold personality by the beginning of the series, but does the same apply to her by the end of the series?]

That's why I said "thinking that every moe character is shallow is a common misbelief." What I presented are fine examples of well developed moe characters.
But as always, even though I based this on my thoughts, and what I read (wiki, tvtropes), this is a pretty subjective topic, and it's pretty understandable that you'd disagree with me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
As for Ergo Proxy, I'd argue that the female lead is part of the moe tree (tsundere). I'd also call the female lead of Wolf's Rain moe, or at least that's what it seemed to me.

Actually, I think Real's character type was best summed up by her metrosexual android, Iggy, who accurately called her a bitch. Laughing
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
4. Inuyasha.
Dragon Ball Z for girls.
5. Clanad, Kannon, Cannon; basically anything that can be described as Crying Game: The Anime.
These games use cheap, reused emotions to trick sad, pathetic dateless losers into feeling loved. Then they rip that feeling away in a way that's equally callous, cliche, and reminds me all to much of Nicholas Spark's "Novels."
Right, because cheap re-used emotions are sooo much worse than cheap re-used VGCats and Mike Toole talking points. Although, since you seem to understand exactly how "sad, pathetic, dateless losers" feel upon watching those shows, can I take it you count yourself within that category?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
ThePoliced wrote:
4 and 5: anything with lolis or cute things in them.

Your top 1 has two of the first and most famous moe characters of all time. I agree that NGE is a great anime, but it definitely contains cuteness.
As for Ergo Proxy, I'd argue that the female lead is part of the moe tree (tsundere). I'd also call the female lead of Wolf's Rain moe, or at least that's what it seemed to me.
Not that I think it's bad. On the contrary. Not all moe characters are shallow; that's just a common misbelief.

You know what i meant. If not.. -lenghty explanation- ..there.
hipnox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hi. I´ve been following the site for quite some time now, but rarely posted. Mainly because English is not my first language (I´m from Argentina).

Here are my top animes. Aside from my top 2, the rest are in no particular order.

1. Evangelion:
N.G.E. is and will always be my #1. Not only because its an excellent series, but because it holds some sentimental value to me. It’s the series that converted me from a zealous Japanese-animation-hater to an anime fan.
I don’t know if its “the best anime evaarrr!!” but to me, it is the best anime i´ve ever seen, on many levels.

Oh, and the ending is awesome

2. Saikano :
When I first heard of saikano and its plot, I thought it was crap. A student falls in love with a cute but clumsy classmate that is actually an Uber Weapon of Mass Destruction!? WTF!?

Saikano blew me away. I expected lameness and in return I found a deep, sad, romantic, cruel, over the top story. It’s a perfect example of a series “done right”. Plus, it has one of the best anime endings ever.

3. Higurashi (all of them):
If I had to describe Higurashi in 1 word, it would be CRUEL. Its by far the most shocking anime series i´ve ever seen, even more than Elfen Lied. The character design further enhances the horror and cruelty of the series.

I found the narrative to be very interesting, and very well made. Although each universe plays different from the rest, each one gives hints at a “bigger picture” the eventually helps explain everything.

I especially love how all the puzzle pieces fall into place in Kai.

4. Elfen Lied:
I enjoyed Elfen Lied mainly for its Shock Value and its “who´s gonna die next” feel. Regardless of what others might say, it IS a huge gore-blood-nudity fest. It’s just so happens to have a fairly interesting story that drives it and actually makes it a good series.

It’s also very interesting how Elfen lied makes you care for and love a character that’s nothing more than a cold blooded mass murderer. Mind games at its finest.

5. Claymore:
I have no idea why I like Claymore as much as I do. It has everything I hate from battle/fight animes. Those “special moves” each character has, the need to explain everything that’s happening at all times, tons of exposition during the fighting, The “ZOMG his/her power level has reached over 9000!!! THAT’S FISICALY IMPOSIBUL!!”

Yeah, Claymore has all that. Why is it in my TOP? I have no idea. For some reasons, I find some of the fights pretty cool. The Clare and Theresa characters are awesome and the story, while a little cliché and predictable, is very enjoyable.

6. FLCL:
This is probably the closest thing to Visual Drugs i´ve ever seen. I´ve watched FLCL more times than I can count, yet I still keep noticing new things, references, or bits of the story which I previously missed. I don’t really know if the story makes sense or not, but I couldn’t care less. My Brain cannot process that amount of WTFness fast enough to understand.

7. Hellsing Ultimate:

Hellsing ultimate is like a guilty pleasure. It´s plot is minimal. For the rest, its just mindless bloody fun, action , completely over the top character and dialogs, and war hungry vampire Nazis. You can’t go wrong with that.

8. SDF Macross:
Smart, well paced, excellent mecha and character desing, excellent story. As close to perfection as an anime series can get (after NGE, of course )

And now, the Hall of Shame:

Bottom 5

1. Silent Mobius: Worst ending in anime history ever. That alone destroys the rest of the series.

2. Hellsing: Horrible adaptation. Hellsing Ultimate is 1000x better

3. First Squad: Boring, unnecessary, incoherent, stupid. Waste of potential.

4. Eatman: While I love the bolt crank character, the series is completely boring and the episodes don’t make much sense.

5. .Hack (everything): Series with climax but no ending. How sweet.

Dissapointments: These are the ones I had huge hopes for, but horribly failed to deliver.

1. Ergo Proxy: So much wasted potential. The series is good up to episode 12 or so. After that, it goes downhill, fast, and never recovers.

2. Deathnote: I would need an entire thread to discuss this one. Basically I expected DN to be in my top 10, but found it to be very overhyped. Its not a bad series, its just not nearly as good as everyone seem to make it. It took itself too seriously, felt over the top most of the time, and I hated the kira character.

3. Steamboy: Boring, uninteresting. Waste of good CG and mechanical design. Not one of the characters felt likable.
cashballer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Edited 10/4/10, 11/6/10

I meant to do one of these a while ago, but I guess I completely forgot. I'm fairly critical of shows that I watch, even the ones that I enjoy tremendously, so I can't help but point out the things that I didn't like as well.
Darn, this list makes it look like I only watch incredibly popular shows. I guess my tastes are not uncommon.

Top 10:

1. Elfen Lied - Though very controversial, it gets the masterpiece rating and best-anime-ever award from me. The nudity is certainly plentiful and excessive compared to most non-hentai shows, but not enough to negatively impact the presentation; at least not for me. The gore is a bit on the heavy side at parts, but it is not unnecessary nor too over-the-top. I have no objection to such graphic violence, so the series is still flawless as far as I'm concerned. Those are really the only two potentially bad things I can say about the show. The opening song and frequently recurring theme, Lilium, is one of the greatest musical choices I've ever heard in an anime, and has come to be my favorite classical and piano piece. The story is intriguing and presents a wide variety of thought-provoking themes, with an unusual mix of romance, dark comedy, action, horror, drama, and mystery. It shows the magnificent first half of the manga, which suffers slightly from being crushed into 13 episodes with a new ending. The result is more loose ends, unfortunately much less screen time for Mariko, and shorter and fewer periods of character development for the whole cast, most notably Kurama, Bandou, and Mariko, in addition to the whole Kaede house crew. That said, the adaptation is as perfect as can be without an increased budget. I am not a particularly huge fan of the culminating story in the second half of the manga, anyway. While the anime's character cast is not all amazing (Kohta and especially Yuka both irritate me at times), a primary aspect done right by me is the characterization of Lucy. Her enigmatic portrayal as a blend of deadly, bloodthirsty, faithful, unstable, and adorable immediately won me over. Her seiyuu, Sanae Kobayashi, performs the role marvelously, and, artistically speaking, she boasts my favorite character design in any anime. Finally, on that note, the artwork and animation for the entirety of the series is absolutely beautiful. The level of detail shown here is not something I notice in many series; the characters, scenery, action, and violence are all spectacularly fluid, and animation shortcuts that often annoy me, such as frame reuse, are rarely present. Between the music, the impeccable character that is Lucy, the plethora of themes found in the addictive story, and the flawless artwork, I honestly have a great deal of trouble understanding why so many people dislike this series. My only guess is an intense hatred of nudity or graphic violence in anime, or perhaps failure to open one's mind to the story. Regardless, I absolutely love every part of this show every time I see it.

2. Bakemonogatari - This show is absolutely excellent. It's somewhat different from most series, though not to the extent of FLCL, and it works perfectly. Perhaps the best character cast ever, an amazing blend of romance, psychological, mystery, action, and comedy, plus great music. The animation/art style fits really well with the series and helps to bring out the comedic aspects. I didn't think it was possible to have such a strong story with a flawless cast of characters, AND make me laugh more than any other anime I've seen. Truly top-notch.

3. Cowboy Bebop - Popular for very good reasons. Most of the things I could say have been said more than enough. Spike makes an awesome protagonist. The flawless action and suspense never cease for too long. I really can't find anything bad to say about the series.

4. Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal - Simply amazing in every aspect. The action was perfect. The story was flawlessly delivered and emotionally charged. Himura is just an awesome character.

5. Gurren Lagann - Another one that has been talked about to death. Absolutely awe-inspiring. The action is just too intense for words. Everything is so epic that nothing else matters. Kamina, Simon, and Yoko make following the plot more than worth it, and the soundtrack is perfect.

6. Darker than BLACK - I wasn't a big fan of the ending, but the story otherwise is great, and action in the first season is incredible; enough so to place the series among my top favorites. Along with some of the best combat in any series, Hei and Yin make for an excellent character cast.

7. Seitokai Yakuindomo - There was no plot or character development to speak of, but it didn't really matter; I just couldn't stop laughing. The frequent crude, low-brow jokes must be my kind of humor. The character cast was amazing as well; Suzu, Aria, Shino, and Kotomi were all just hilarious. even the annoyingly perverted teacher had her moments. Nothing else to say, just great characters and awesome comedy.

8. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - I can't decide between the first and second seasons, since they are parts of the same story. The fantastic battles really made the series, and Lelouch makes a great lead. The main characters were developed very well, and the ending was practically perfect, though saddening. Overall, an outstanding and very enjoyable series.

9. Angel Beats! - The story was great, but perhaps too ambitious; riddled with oddities you could almost call plot holes. It seemed like it was trying to stick to the laws of the real world, while at the same time introducing new laws to an imaginary world. It also seemed to switch genres on a per-episode basis. I felt the story was simply paced strangely, but it was still quite good especially for such a short series. The character cast was what really kept this one together for me. Between Yuri, Kanade, Yuzuru, TK, Yui, Hideki, and Shiina, there were just too many likable characters for me to not enjoy the show. Add to that an incredible soundtrack and excellent artwork, and it's really just a few parts of the story that held the series this far down on my list.

10. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Particularly impressive, how everything makes sense either way you watch it. I thoroughly enjoyed the story; piecing together the episodes to get the whole picture was fun by itself. It appeals to many different genres, most notably mystery and drama, and flows with detail that could be turned into a novel. The characters were incredibly well done, especially Haruhi, whose actions and words fit perfectly into the story, and Kyon, who I was ecstatic to see was a male protagonist with normal thoughts and reactions. I'm rarely able to watch a main character and be able to say "Yeah that's realistic -- I would have said/thought/done the same thing," about most of his choices, but Kyon was a definite exception.

Honorable mention (pushed off the list by updates): Fate/Stay Night, Clannad, Clannad: After Story, Trigun, Highschool of the Dead

Bottom 5:

1. FLCL - Don't bother trying to change my mind about this one, it's simply not to my taste. It was legitimately the most difficult anime I've ever brought myself to finish watching. I kept assuming I was missing something about the story, but such was not the case.

2. Ikkitousen: Xtreme Xecutor - I actually enjoyed the first two seasons of the show, and the third was alright; but this one was absolutely atrocious. They hardly even got the fanservice part right this time around.

3. Hellsing - I'm glad I finally watched Hellsing Ultimate, because I was tremendously disappointed by the original series. The supposed main character never does anything, and there isn't even very much fighting between Alucard and Father Anderson.

4. DearS - I decided to try this one a while after enjoying Chobits; bad idea. I just kept praying that the story would go somewhere new and interesting, but it never happened.

5. Berserk - I had a surprisingly hard time deciding what to pick for the final bad position. There are many tied with Berserk for fifth worst anime I've seen, but I really despised it for trashing the anime potential that the manga had. The Berserk manga is a masterpiece, but the anime just doesn't do it at all; and why did they pick such an awful time to end it?

Last edited by cashballer on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
5. Berserk - I had a surprisingly hard time deciding what to pick for the final bad position. There are many tied with Berserk for fifth worst anime I've seen, but I really despised it for trashing the anime potential that the manga had. The Berserk manga is a masterpiece, but the anime just doesn't do it at all; and why did they pick such an awful time to end it?

They ended it where they did because that was as far as the manga had gone at the time and they didn't want to throw together a half assed ending. Instead they stuck to the manga and got an unfinished god awful ending. Not excusing it, just saying.

Quote:
2. Saikano :
When I first heard of saikano and its plot, I thought it was crap. A student falls in love with a cute but clumsy classmate that is actually an Uber Weapon of Mass Destruction!? WTF!?

Saikano blew me away. I expected lameness and in return I found a deep, sad, romantic, cruel, over the top story. It’s a perfect example of a series “done right”. Plus, it has one of the best anime endings ever.

Best ending ever? spoiler[The world ends for no apparent reason and was just mentioned out of the blue in the last episodes. Completely unlikeable characters and some of the ridiculous things the characters do (Shuuji basically rapes the memory back into Chise. WTF?) makes this one of the worst things I've ever seen.]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
SinnerTim wrote:
They ended it where they did because that was as far as the manga had gone at the time and they didn't want to throw together a half assed ending. Instead they stuck to the manga and got an unfinished god awful ending. Not excusing it, just saying.

The ending is perfectly appropriate to the tone of the series and pretty epic even if it is horrifically gruesome. Though it may be inconclusive, it's a whole lot better than a lot of more conventional endings. Calling it one of the worst endings ever (let alone saying this is enough to make it one of the worst series ever) seems pretty silly to me.
cashballer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The ending is perfectly appropriate to the tone of the series and pretty epic even if it is horrifically gruesome. Though it may be inconclusive, it's a whole lot better than a lot of more conventional endings. Calling it one of the worst endings ever (let alone saying this is enough to make it one of the worst series ever) seems pretty silly to me.

The ending alone is not what made Berserk one of my least favorite anime series, although I certainly thought it was too sudden, right after introducing many new plot elements. If it was stopped there because that's where the manga was at the time, then that's fair enough. I watched it long after release.
hipnox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
SinnerTim wrote:
Best ending ever?

i wholeheartedly disagree with everything you just said about Saikano, but due to the fact that its in my Top 8 (#2 no less) and is in your opinion one if the worst things you have ever seen, there really isn´t much to discuss. We clearly have very different tastes Very Happy

Speaking of Berserk, i´ve been tempted to check it out for quite some time now, but bad endings really ruin series for me. Is it really bad / rushed?
cashballer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
hipnox wrote:
Speaking of Berserk, i´ve been tempted to check it out for quite some time now, but bad endings really ruin series for me. Is it really bad / rushed?

I wouldn't let what I've said turn you off. Berserk came highly recommended to me by more than one of my friends, which was one of the main reasons I was so disappointed when I didn't like it. I know most people enjoy the series.

With regard to the ending, I can't say much without spoilers. I wouldn't call it bad, but most people would agree that it is rushed; or perhaps at the very least, poorly timed. As ikillchicken said, there are definitely worse endings.
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's a rushed ending, it's just the middle of a long story, not an end, so it feels very abrupt and unsatisfying.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Top Ten:
10. Beck. Great soundtrack. Great dub. Only problem is it's only 26. Who knew Greg Ayres could sing and sing well?

9. Burst Angel: Great Action and engage characters. Loved this series.

8. Lupin III: Tony Oliver is great as Lupin in Geneon dub that was on CN. Great show that holds up 30 years later and movies (despite Funimation replacements) are good too. Can't forget Castle Of Cagliostro.

7. Full Metal Panic: Trouble Sasuke (?) gets into just go to high school for first time after being in Military is fun enough. Add in mystery, giant robots, great characters and you get a fun show that is worth watching over and over again.

6. Ah/Oh My Goddess: If only we all can accidentally call up the Goddess hotline while trying to order take.

5. Melacholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya. Fun show about a girl who is looking for strange things but doesn't realize how close what she is looking is.

4. You're Under Arrest. Cop show done anime style and done right. Great characters and Anime Ego's dub is really good. Sadly they never finished the series but Sentai Films did without a dub. Sad Miyuki and Natsumi balance each other out so well and work as partner.

3. Tenchi Muyo/Universe/GXP: Tenchi line of titles is something I love. First saw them became right away a favorite and stayed that way. Fun characters. Great dubs. All except the fights and scientist that sometimes wants to experiment I trade places with Tenchi in a heartbeat.

2. Slayers: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy setting, and tiny a hint of romance that never really goes anywhere. Lina Inverse is a fun character that I wouldn't want to make mad. Lisa Ortiz as Lina makes the dub that good and makes ADV dubs not as good for her not being lina.

1. Sailor Moon: To me closes to Holy Grail of Anime. Comedy, Action, Drama, Romance. It made and me cry. The only thing stopping it from being that is complete dub done right but story is still good enough that even a bad dub doesn't stop it. The show that makes you care just about what happens to every character good or bad. Unlike DBZ it does enough to keep my tuned in though gets a bit though towards later episodes SuperS and Stars Seasons. Still enough there. Funny thing but true is when I first saw this I hated it. That was based on just the opening english dub song but when I finally sat down to watch it I grew to love it.

Honorable mentions: My Hime, Cowboy Bebop, Nadesico, Project A-Ko, Claymore, Kiki's Delivery Service.

Top 5 worst:
5. DBZ: Where sailor moon keeps you going to end DBZ drags on with sagas there never seem to end. Goku spends to much time training and letting everyone else get killed. Fights sometimes just seem like the same except players change at times.

4. End Of Evangelion Movie. This belongs here on it's own though TV show was good till last two episodes. The creators needed to rap the story up so they kill most everyone off in first few minutes. The ending is just horrible and makes wonder why they even bothered to make this movie.

3. FLCL. Not funny at all. Confusing and over hyped as great. I tried watching it a couple of times and I still don't get the appeal. Same DBZ.

2. Paranoia Agent: Now nothing against Satoshi Kon and sadly he just away but this show was even more confusing then Lain. That is saying something. Plot was weird and just didn't get it. Maybe if I had a better chance to re watch now with dvr on dvd. Then I read article on this very website that said they decide to not to give away answers. That wasn't a good idea.

1. Gilgamesh: This show was just so bad. Painfully slow, boring, characters sucked. Story made no sense at all. Ending that is probably the worst of all that makes you scream What the? out loud.

Dis Honorable mentions:
Lain: Horribly confusing.
Super-Milk Chan: Was this suppose to be funny?
Ghost Stories Dub: The only show I ever felt bad about watching afterwords.
Le Chevalier D'Eon: Slow, confusing, and then horrible ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 95 of 122