• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Box Office [2004-08-04]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Does that mean the Pokemon phenomenon is slowing down in Japan too?
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Um, I imagine Pokemon's not as popular as it used to be, but falling to third in your third week doesn't mean much of anything.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
Does that mean the Pokemon phenomenon is slowing down in Japan too?

The Pokemon 5 Movie (2002) Spent 7 weeks in the top 10 in Japan, grossing 20 Million in that time (weekdays included in totla).
Weekend 1: $2.4m
Weekend 2: $1.6m
Weekend 3: $1.4m
Weekend 4: $1.1m
Weekend 5: $1.1m
Weekend 6: $.9m
Weekend 7: $.6m

The 6th Movie (2003) Did a bit better, grossing $33 million in only 6 weeks. It was still ranked in 4th place overall on its 6th and last week in theatres.
Weekend 1: $3.8m
Weekend 2: $2.4m
Weekend 3: $1.8m
Weekend 4: $1.9m
Weekend 5: $1.8m
Weekend 6: $1.8m

The falling $US makes comparisson a bit hard this year, but Pokemon 2004 has grossed $4.6 Million in its first weekend, and $2.6 in its second weekend. It's a bit early to tell if it will do better than the 2003 movie.

Unfortunately I don't have statistics for the first 4 movies readilly available, but you can be certain that the first two grossed much more.

Slowing down? Yes.

Dead? No way in hell.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow, great to see it still hanging there in the top 10, considering the competition.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, must be a slow movie season over in Japan, the top movies haven't changed all that much and Pokemon actually went up to 2 from 3 after already being on the charts for 4 weeks!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:18 am Reply with quote
I'm shocked to see that Thunderbirds is within the top 10.
Didn't that movie suck? (From what i have read,creator Gerry Anderson had nothing to do with this movie.) I guess it's a curiosity factor since Anderson's classic shows (Thunderbirds,Space 1999 and the awesome UFO) had a sizable cult following in Japan. ( *citing a Thunderbirds Anime which aired on Showtime cable networks back in the early 80's*)

Can't wait till Steamboy and possibly Appleseed makes it's way to the US.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Hum...What I can't still realize how is the first place of Harry Potter movie. Ok, I didn't see it, but I can accept that it gets to the first place. Also, that it remains there for a time. But, hanging there for a bit less than 2 months....That's completly adoration!!! I'm gonna write this on my "personal Japan costumes notebook"...Hum...Japanese worship Harry Potter, xDDDDDD
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Konjiki no Gatch Bell is a weird, cool show. I wanna see the movie.

Oh, I mean ZATCHBELL. Thank you, ShoPro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:39 pm Reply with quote
soul_taker: I wonder how the Japanese will receive Team America.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Isn't steamboy supposed to be a big movie? If it's only done 7mil, that's pretty crummy, right? Here, in America, it seems like a movie has to do $100mil to be considered a "hit", but shouldn't a big title like this be doing more? Or is that a lot? Or is it not even a big title?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:12 pm Reply with quote
A Japanese hit is on a much smaller scale than a US hit. After all, the highest grossing movie in Japan is Spirited Away with about 150 mil.
And I suspect that they made Steamboy knowing that it wouldn't be a massive hit. I'm sure they will see a ton of money from overseas DVD sales. Thats also the only reason Innocence was made; the original GitS was not a commercial success in Japan from what I understand, but it made tons of money in DVD sales.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:05 am Reply with quote
Yay, I finally found the Japanese boxoffice history for Pokemon: http://www.pokepale.com/movie/seiseki.htm

So with that info, here's the breakdown:
Pokemon 1998 [Mewtwo]: $41.5 million
Pokemon 1999 [Lugia]: $35 million
Pokemon 2000 [Entei]: $28 million
Pokemon 2001 [Celebi]: $20 million
Pokemon 2002 [Latios]: $14 million
Pokemon 2003 [Jirachi]: $35 million
Pokemon 2004 [Deoxys]: $25 million and going

I actually saw Pokemon 2004 and the Gashbell movie over the weekend. They were both great, but Pokemon 2004 in particular was THE BEST Pokemon movie I've seen, and it's not like I'm not critical of them (I would only recommend 3 of the 6 movies I've seen). It's just very different, much better animated, and even has friggin' 3-D glasses scenes. So I can understand why it's drawing that much money.

Then again, I thought the Jirachi movie was crap and it made a ton of money so who knows how the Japanese logic works. Wink
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:21 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
soul_taker: I wonder how the Japanese will receive Team America.

I have absolutely no idea what Team America is all about. (Is it something like that lame ass campy Megaforce movie i saw as a kid back in the 80's?) Anyway i have my eyes on a Japanese import; Zatoichi (Beat Takeshi). Unfortunetly the nearest independent theater is nearly out of reach. guess i'll have to settle for the bootleg..OOPS! just kidding..i think. Wink
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Team America is one movie I just can't wait for!

Mindless political satire from the creators of South Park, that just has to be good.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:38 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Team America is one movie I just can't wait for!

Mindless political satire from the creators of South Park, that just has to be good.

Emerje

HMM..Since i loved the South Park movie,Sounds promising.hopefully this may make up for their previous flops Orgazmo and Baseketball.

I'm curious to know what kind of reception Resident Evil Apocalypse would get once i reaches Japan. (The said sequel looks much better than the first. hopefully it'll do Shinji Mikami proud,and RE fans like myself of course.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4