• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Angel Beats! Gets Another Epilogue Green-Lit

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Expias

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Just to make sure I understand correctly, the last Blu-Ray and LE DVD bundle will have the 13th Final episode, a special that was not aired, "making of" videos, as well as this just announced Alternate 13th Final episode?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
Just to make sure I understand correctly, the last Blu-Ray and LE DVD bundle will have the 13th Final episode, a special that was not aired, "making of" videos, as well as this just announced Alternate 13th Final episode?

The 13th and final episode (as aired), plus the special unaired alternate epilogue.
Expias

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
So this JUST green-lit epilogue is the unaired special they announced months ago?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the wording used here. For instance the extra "epilogue" that came with the True Tears BD box was just a few minutes of animation set to music (no dialogue) that didn't even change anything from the TV ending.

I wouldn't put it past PA Works to do the exact same crap again with Angel Beats.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
So this JUST green-lit epilogue is the unaired special they announced months ago?

Unless the specifications change, that's the case.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
So another ending? Damn, I need to finish up AB quick!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:

It was probably green-lit long ago (with the information sent to retailers). It's just that an official announcement wasn't made until now.

Normally, DVD specials are planned even before a show airs. They're bonuses to entice viewers into actually buying the merchandise.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, it certainly needs an epilogue episode. The ending was pretty bad I have to say. Left too many plot threads hanging to count, and some of the characters' decisions bordered on, "Oh come on."

So yeah, I'm happy about this.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
This should be interesting. I enjoyed AB TV, and I didn't want it to end. lol

ROCKET CHAIRS, AWAY! lmao
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't like the wording used here. For instance the extra "epilogue" that came with the True Tears BD box was just a few minutes of animation set to music (no dialogue) that didn't even change anything from the TV ending.

I wouldn't put it past PA Works to do the exact same crap again with Angel Beats.

While it's probably not a bad idea to keep expectations low, the two projects and situations really don't have much to do with each other. The True Tears BD extra was literally an afterthought commissioned by the Bandai Visual BD producer based on the "pledges" of those participating in the mail-in offer to buy the BD set (and it was only ever promised as a three-minute extra; the Drama CD is the real epilogue for the show). This, on the other hand, was part of Aniplex's release plan from the get-go (for at least as long as they had the BDs/DVDs planned, and I suspect even earlier in the story planning based on the TV ending). Just because they're both animated by PA Works might as well be a coincidence.
Koterrr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
I don't think it'll be much, since they only have time till December.
And I really hope that it'll be an elaboration of romance with Kanade ^^ not often cooderes get such a place in the story, so I was really happy with the original ending, vague as it was.
ELDRAGON

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote
I think epilogue refers to that last minute after the ending credits in the last episode. spoiler[The one that shows the main character and Tenshi alive in the real world.] So I guess they're just gonna switch that with something else.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, it certainly needs an epilogue episode. The ending was pretty bad I have to say. Left too many plot threads hanging to count, and some of the characters' decisions bordered on, "Oh come on."

'

There were plot threads left hanging? I don't think I recall any. I liked the ending, personally. It said all that needed to be said.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:32 am Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

'

There were plot threads left hanging? I don't think I recall any. I liked the ending, personally. It said all that needed to be said.

I can't recall any hanging plot threads, either - unless he was referring to the fact that we didn't get to see, in each and every case, what caused some members of the SSS Brigade to have been in Limbo in the first place, or why they were able to leave?

Anyway, this alternative ending should make a nice little extra on the (hopefully) inevitable R1 release.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I can't recall any hanging plot threads, either - unless he was referring to the fact that we didn't get to see, in each and every case, what caused some members of the SSS Brigade to have been in Limbo in the first place, or why they were able to leave?

Anyway, this alternative ending should make a nice little extra on the (hopefully) inevitable R1 release.

I thought it covered most of the main characters. There were ones that they didn't get into any motivations, like most of the members of GDM, but main characters I thought they mostly covered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3