• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Togainu no Chi, Oreimo to Be Streamed Online

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Nice, but I'm hoping for a Star Driver simulcast. Very Happy
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Who's starting the pool?

Crunchyroll does not even have any [?] left in their Fall lineup after the announcement today, so it might not be Crunchyroll. Its not conclusive, of course, but it seems they should at least put some new [?]'s up if it was Crunchyroll.

Aniplex USA is at the "US premier" of Star Driver at NYAF next weekend. These two plus Star Driver might add up to a package deal.

Inside track for all three would be Funimation.com, as they seem to be the only other single streaming licensor that has handled over three at time. Plus two package deals for Crunchyroll (TV Tokyo and Kadokawa Pictures) and two package deals for Funimation (Fuji TV's noitaminA block and Aniplex) makes a pleasing symmetry for Japanese business sensibilities.

Or else Sentai/TAN has decided that one simulcast at a time is a waste, and they've gone for a package deal to lift their game.

Of course, they might not be a package deal, but split three ways, say, Orelmo to Sentai/TAN, Togainu no Chi to Crunchy, Star Driver to Funimation.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Ore-Imo!!! Yeah!!! I tell you that might just be one of the best shows we see this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was also kinda interested in Togainu no Chi so if it's streaming I'll certainly give it a whirl. Now all I'm waiting on is to see if Viz grabs Bakuman (sounds like Nura has been successful for them) and Star Driver (which sounds like a pretty obvious streaming title, like everyone else on the web I'm betting that's a Funi one).
So, yay streaming!
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I'm quite glad that Oreimo will be streamed.

agila61 wrote:

Of course, they might not be a package deal, but split three ways, say, Orelmo to Sentai/TAN, Togainu no Chi to Crunchy, Star Driver to Funimation.

Another interesting possibility would be if Aniplex got into simulcasting itself. Maybe via Youtube or Hulu, or even their own original site.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Yup, I'm quite glad that Oreimo will be streamed.

agila61 wrote:

Another interesting possibility would be if Aniplex got into simulcasting itself. Maybe via Youtube or Hulu, or even their own original site.

They have Miracle Train at their YouTube site with hundreds! of views for most of the episodes.

And of course, a package deal would not have to be exclusive. Purely speculative (and we'll know shortly anyway) but If TAN decided they need more simulcasts to push people over the edge on subscribing and can only go for one or two exclusives, a couple of exclusives plus three more that are also ad-streaming at YouTube would be one way to fill out the line-up.
getsugatenshoumke79

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Who's starting the pool?

Crunchyroll does not even have any [?] left in their Fall lineup after the announcement today, so it might not be Crunchyroll. Its not conclusive, of course, but it seems they should at least put some new [?]'s up if it was Crunchyroll.

Aniplex USA is at the "US premier" of Star Driver at NYAF next weekend. These two plus Star Driver might add up to a package deal.

Inside track for all three would be Funimation.com, as they seem to be the only other single streaming licensor that has handled over three at time. Plus two package deals for Crunchyroll (TV Tokyo and Kadokawa Pictures) and two package deals for Funimation (Fuji TV's noitaminA block and Aniplex) makes a pleasing symmetry for Japanese business sensibilities.

Or else Sentai/TAN has decided that one simulcast at a time is a waste, and they've gone for a package deal to lift their game.

I would hate for TAN to get their hands on any of them because they'll do the first two episodes are free while the rest you pay. If they were smart, they'd do something similar to what Crunchyroll does and have it the episode is aired for the premium members for a week, and free for the other people. Yet, that's only my opinion. I would love for Aniplex to stream these from either Hulu or Crunchyroll. Funimation would make a good fit too.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
getsugatenshoumke79 wrote:
I would hate for TAN to get their hands on any of them because they'll do the first two episodes are free while the rest you pay. If they were smart, they'd do something similar to what Crunchyroll does and have it the episode is aired for the premium members for a week, and free for the other people. Yet, that's only my opinion. I would love for Aniplex to stream these from either Hulu or Crunchyroll. Funimation would make a good fit too.

Demon King Daimao was a TAN simulcast that was shared with Crunchyroll ... then they did an exclusive with High School of the Dead.

Will be interesting to see how their strategy goes, whether they try to increase the straight simulcast licenses or not, and whether the exclusive on HSotD was only because Sentai/Section23 picked up the DVD license. I would certainly not be surprised if they have only one or two exclusives and pad it out with shared simulcast licenses.

Edit/Update: with TAN announcing Samarai Girls, that ups the odds that that if TAN has an "Aniplex Package" it would be shared not exclusive. But the base scenario there is still long odds: the short odds bet is that its Funimation.com with an "Aniplex Package".

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Koterrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote
Finally Smile even though they forgot about MM! airing on AT-X tomorrow and Arakawa under the bridge x bridge on TV-Tokyo the day after.

Btw, correct me if I'm wrong, but streamed anime is raw, isn't it?

Last edited by Koterrr on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:52 am Reply with quote
Togainu no Chi doesn't premiere this Sunday. According to the official website, the anime will premiere in Japan on Thursday, October 7 on MBS and the other channels will air the anime later.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
Koterrr wrote:
Finally Smile even though they forgot about MM! airing on AT-X tomorrow and Arakawa under the bridge x bridge on TV-Tokyo the day after.

Streamed is lossy, if you tried to stream a raw anyone who didn't have a v good ADSL or fiber conection couldn't watch it. It would be file sizes the same as the Blu-rays, 1.5-3 GB per 25 minutes (normaly 15 Mbit/s).
Streams are therefore always lossy, you save on bandwidth and more people can watch them.

Lets just hope these are all on CR, some of us aren't in the US. Notes that their youtube chanel is tottaly geoblocked.
Koterrr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote
By raw I mean not fansubbed.
getsugatenshoumke79

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Koterrr wrote:

Streamed is lossy, if you tried to stream a raw anyone who didn't have a v good ADSL or fiber conection couldn't watch it. It would be file sizes the same as the Blu-rays, 1.5-3 GB per 25 minutes (normaly 15 Mbit/s).
Streams are therefore always lossy, you save on bandwidth and more people can watch them.

Lets just hope these are all on CR, some of us aren't in the US. Notes that their youtube chanel is tottaly geoblocked.
This is unlikely. Personally, I am hoping for Funimation as the first choice, Viz as the second choice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1