• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2010 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayashe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first half of this episode (the show follows the Nickelodeon kids’ show format of having two standalone adventures in one episode) features a giant monster made of feces who comes bursting out of the toilet while Panty is going number two (hilarious, right?).

Ohhhh... kay. Thank you. I was going to watch this, but now I know to skip it, so I won't have to gouge my eyes out. I think I'll go watch Buffy on Hulu instead.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm more siding with Theron on Panty & Stocking. Zac raises plenty of good points, but I happened to enjoy the extraordinarily crude humor.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
chunky stylized character designs are the one fresh thing this show had going for it, and they basically chicken out halfway through the episode.

Okay, that actually turns me off more than the prospect of foul humor. I was interested in this because it looked like it might really bend some rules with its animation style; if it's going to give in to the demands of the fanservice-driven industry rather than stick with its creativity, my interest is already waning.

I'll wait for a few more reviews, but I'm sad to see one of my three possibilities this season start off poorly already. Man, I hope I get a few surprises this season, because otherwise it's probably just going to be noitaminA again...

Also: why isn't this on the front page yet? I found it by accident on the forums.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Given Imaishi's comments on the series, if you liked Dead Leaves then you'll love Panty & Stocking. If you hated it, then you'll hate it too.

This is more in line with what Imaishi really is about. Just check out the "Truth or Doubt" extra and the commentary track on the Dead Leaves DVD for more info. He's pretty focused on the animator and filling up the screen with tons of expression and information.

And being pretty crude and immature when doing it too. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Aaannddd I wasn't that interested in Panty & Stocking before but after the reviews here I'm giving it a total pass, no giant crap monsters for me please!
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
wow, zach... really? i mean REALLY? That was like one half of the entire episode. The magical girl dance was obviously meant to be funny. you of all people should've gotten that.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:
chunky stylized character designs are the one fresh thing this show had going for it, and they basically chicken out halfway through the episode.

Okay, that actually turns me off more than the prospect of foul humor. I was interested in this because it looked like it might really bend some rules with its animation style; if it's going to give in to the demands of the fanservice-driven industry rather than stick with its creativity, my interest is already waning.

IMO, Zac exaggerated a bit. The entire sequence is probably about 30 seconds long. It's was clearly fan pandering, but it felt a little sarcastic to me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
wow, zach... really? i mean REALLY? That was like one half of the entire episode. The magical girl was obviously meant to be funny. you of all people should've gotten that.

If you honestly think that wasn't in there in order to move merchandise based on those character designs - because the normal designs are not merchandise-friendly for an otaku show like this one - you're being naive.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Dead Leaves... ugh, it Panty and Stocking resembles that thing, I think I can safely say that it's not a show I have an interest in. It's a shame, as the name and the basic premise sounds so absurd that it might be fun in a ridiculous way. Maybe if I have the time I'll check out the first episode just to be sure, but it's definitely not something I'm too excited about.

Was never too interested in Sora no Otoshimono based on what I heard about the first season, so the second season doesn't really interest me that much either.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Dogma. Thanks for reminding me I actually watched how good celluloid goes bad.

It seems that in order for me to watch Garterbelt on Crunchyroll, I've gotta wait 7 days.

As I watched the preview, I half expected the Cartoon Network logo to show up along with 3 girls dressed in the individual colors of red, green, and blue.

Then the preview ended, mocking me at having not submitted my credit card information to them.

I'll wait the seven days. By that time, I'll have forgotten about this series and that I've seen Dogma.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
wow these guys do not like Sora no Otoshimono which is too bad cause i find the show hilarious and am glad to have it back.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
It kind of looks like the way Powerpuff Girls Z was drawn Anime hyper
Funkatronic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:

I'll wait for a few more reviews, but I'm sad to see one of my three possibilities this season start off poorly already. Man, I hope I get a few surprises this season, because otherwise it's probably just going to be noitaminA again...

Also: why isn't this on the front page yet? I found it by accident on the forums.

Actually, I thought that scene was a big "F-you" to the people complaining about the artstyle of the show. "Guess what, b*****, this is what you could have gotten instead of what we give you the rest of the half hour!"
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I gotta agree with that 0 or 5 one. I'm on the 5 side, but this is one of those "you gotta see it for yourself" ones.

Man, I was hoping this would be the one that Zac didn't hate. Oh well, maybe next season

(Is anyone looking at Pokemon Best Wishes?)
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Panty & Stocking is trashy, over-the-top, rude, crude, and every possible synonym you can think that amounts to the same concept.

It's also totally awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 57