• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Extra Value Gombos Meal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to lie. I've been waiting over a year for this podcast. And it's been worth the wait.

Now, you heard the man. Get out there and buy Reiko.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
So excited for this! This has been an exciting week for anime/manga so far with NYCC and NYAF underway and ANN's move into simulcasts- it's very awesome to see someone who's not a) Crunchyroll or b) an existing anime dvd distributor or c) Hulu/Netflix/OtherGiantCorporation, getting into streaming original simulcast content.

Off to listen to the podcast!!!

edit--- wow, super big info about simulcasts, and their future [or possible nonfuture] in this podcast.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of interesting to get a little backstory in how the site is run, since Zac and Justin are the face of the site, while Tempest is the guy with the title of head of the site for people like me who are not privy to the background of the site.

With streaming the problem is that the fans are so self centered that they refuse to make any sacrifice. In this case they need to drop their fansubs, and watch it on legit websites that pay money to the Japanese licensor. The thing is that people have begun to instead just rip the show from CR and then download the torrent of that. It's the equivalent of a guy who wants the same pay as the President of Mcdonalds for the job of doing the job of putting the fries into the fryer. If the anime industry is going to be saved it's not going to be by Funimation, it's not going to be some huge entertainment company seeing it as a place that can be made mainstream, it's going to be fans who are sick and tired of seeing the destruction of the anime industry, and put a stop to this attitude of "it's not my fault".

I live for discussion of anime, I mean I just love to just get in the dirt and just get right into the fight. It's sad that we are seeing the breakup of Justin and Zac as one of the main drawing point of the podcast. Justin is a guy as I see as really intelligent who rarely made a slip-up.

Berserk is amazing, I mean it's the only thing I know where rape is so commonplace that after a while it simply stops being disgusting, "Oh another woman cut in half giving a blow job. It's like Bastard played completely straight.

Hearing about Lone Wolf and Cub reminded me when is Mad Bull going to get released? We need Mad Bull back in America!

Sankaku Complex has confirmed that Berserk is being stopped because of Miura's love off moe. When Miura announced a hiatus he also mentioned that he just bought an X-Box 360 to play IdolM@ster. He also loves Nico Nico Douga, Vocaloud, and Shin Koihime Musou. Just go to Sankaku Complex and do a search for Berserk, the articles are hilarious, especially where they call him a one time mangaka.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
the Dark Horse talk is pretty interesting and a little sobering [re- last year being a bad year for manga pubs], but also exciting since it's clear DH is doing their best to bring us these titles.

edit- and good points about light novels- there's certain titles that'll do really well, but they're anamolies. So it makes sense to be cautious, and not flood the market. Knowing the VHD Novel 1 has shold 200000 copies is fantastic news though.

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
THANK YOU! Someone else on the planet liked Akumetsu. I can see this being hard to license though, given all the politics.

good luck, Justin. I'll miss your industry commentary.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

good luck, Justin. I'll miss your industry commentary.

To clarify, this is specifically why Justin will continue to appear on the show regularly.

The issue is that someone for whom a big part of their job is to wrangle licenses of new anime can't really be on a "what've you been watching and how was it" editorial segment that usually focuses on new shows.

Justin will still appear on the show, just not in a capacity where he's delivering critique of anime.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, did the new site design kick in?
Hello to you ANN Smile
The Count

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Good show guys.

I hope in the future the will be somewhere Justin can act as a critic on this site. He sold me on Alien Nine and Golden Boy, both of which I've never heard of before he recommend them.
LostPhrack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Whoo.. the first time I asked a question and it was used. Thanks!

Anywho, I had three titles in mind when I asked about sitting on licenses and two of those titles were mentioned and addressed, World Embryo and Shin Lone Wolf and Cub. The third was Dame Dame Saito Nikki but the first two were my main interest so it all worked out well in the end. Smile
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
I'd be rather surprised if Berserk didn't make it to 50 volumes but I sort of doubt it's only half done. The events of the last couple volumes really seem to be building to a conclusion. Then again, who really knows. Berserk has always had a real knack for building to a big epic finale and then not ending.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Sankaku Complex has confirmed that Berserk is being stopped because of Miura's love off moe.

SC is full of BS. We got three chapters back in July and the next one will be out on the 22nd.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
Kind of sad to hear that Dark Horse never even put out an offer for Vinland Saga as I think it could be a huge hit, but I'm happy to hear the guy being so open about it.

A good podcast, and I'm looking forward to the simulcasting and all that. Hope it goes well.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
The site has changed so much! I thought I'd accidently clicked on a morphed crunchy.

It's good to hear justine again :]
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
I understood the oh my goddess twitter question, every time I go to a borders anywhere, all the volumes aren't there.
Sometimes one of the volumes in the 30s is there, but next week it'll be gone and never come back. When I go to comic store that has a big selection of manga they'll have all the oh my goddess reprints (mostly) but mainstream bookstores not so much.

not that that's any of Dark Horses' fault
maybe people in Texas just really love Oh my goddess?

lol, actually the reprints made me mad initially. I scraped together all my twelve and thirteen year old money from chores to afford the giant 15-19 dollar flipped editions, then as soon as i got to 19/20, theres a big "we're remaking all the volumes you bought in a prettier and cheaper format Very Happy" ad on the last page of the book........
..ah memories. I still refuse to replace those big volumes Anime hyper

cool podcast again by the way. the site changes look pretty cool so far that I'm seeing~<3
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
Sports anime & manga are weird over here mainly because there's always a complaint about them. If they're handled realistically, like Slam Dunk, Big Windup!, or any Adachi title, then the main reaction is "If I want to see [insert sport here], then I could just watch it on TV or do it in real life." But if it's handled in an over-the-top manner, like in Prince of Tennis or Ring ni Kakero 1, then the main reaction is "This is too ridiculous! Why can't they treat the sport realistically?" Well if realistically isn't going to appeal and over-the-top isnt going to appeal, then what will? And the whole "Sports titles don't do well because anime and manga fans don't play or watch sports," excuse is just that: An excuse. If that was the case, then I'd be playing or watching a lot of sports in real life, but I don't mainly because I'm not a big fan of sports in real life, but sports anime and manga usually does interest me in some fashion, outside of pro wrestling... And even then a lot of people will be quick to say that pro wrestling isn't a real sport.

Granted, I can't explain why Prince of Tennis seems to be doing so well for Viz (39 volumes out of 42 released so far, and it's never slowed down from its original every-2-months schedule!), but I'm fine with that as I really enjoy that title. I would love to see Viz license Shin Prince of Tennis after finsihing up the first series.

Really, that stupid excuse is not going to help anything and it's just going to keep giving others a quick and easy reason for not watching or reading these kinds of titles. It's just feeding the fuel for a stereotype like this one to continue living, isn't it Zac? And it really only seems to be the case for the U.S. and Canada, as everywhere else in the world these titles actually end up encouraging readers to pick up these sports! And it isn't even the realistic ones for the most part that encourage these readers! Yeah, Slam Dunk helped make basketball more popular in Japan, but it was titles like Captain Tsubasa, Prince of Tennis, and Eyeshield 21, all of which are over-the-top and unrealistic to an extent, that helped make soccer, tennis, and american football, respectively, somewhat more popular in Japan (and Tsubasa inspired people across the world). Yet in North America, north of Mexico, these same titles are more often than not insulted for not being realitic enough, and the realistic ones are insulted for being useless since people could just watch or play the actual thing!

But, for some reason, American movies like the Rocky series, The Replacements, The Wrestler, and even The Sandlot are beloved, or at least fondly remembered, titles. And I think it would be stupid and incorrect to say that anime and manga fans didn't watch these movies, even though they are, in basis, very similar to the sports titles Japan gets: stories based around sports but are not solely just matches with no real character development.

I ended up saying a lot more than I had planned to in the end, but I think I said what I wanted to for the most part. Anyway, great interview with Gombos, and it was cool to see how Dark Horse handles the industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2