• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: House of Five Leaves GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a samurai ver. of Eeyore's life. Cute, a bit gloomy, but ever-lovable.
I want to finish the anime first though.
The Yaoi Review

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
I love this one but I did watch the anime before reading the manga. I've been curious if I would have liked it as much had I read the manga first. There are some differences between how the anime starts and the start in volume 1. Either way, I am a fan of this mangaka's work and I find her artistic style to be unique and endearing. I also have Not Simple and although it's quite sad, I really love how she captures her character's expressions. I'm always for something different so if you're looking for something typical, this probably wouldn't be for you.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I liked this a lot. Its not a bog standard Samurai manga, and it excels because of this. Also the art style rules, C+ is a crime.

Honestly, the entire IKKI line is making me smile with how off-beaten-path all its releases are. Dorohedoro with its pure bizarreness, Five Leaves with its relaxed atmosphere, Bokurano for its soul crushing, Saturn Apartments for its sweet sci-fi slice-of-life, and I'll Give it my All Tomorrow... for its almost to close to home slice-of-life.

The whole line has been pretty good to me so far, a great relief from a sea of samey Shōnen.

I should probably check out Children of the Sea at some point...
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:11 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

I should probably check out Children of the Sea at some point...

Like you, I really feel like I can sink into what IKKI has to offer. Children of the Sea is my favorite IKKI release so far ... I can't wait for the 4th manga to be released.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Akitsu himself is rather reminiscent of Big Windup!'s Mihashi

You know, I thought that as well once or twice during the anime, glad it's not just me.

And I guess I should check out this since I did like the anime so much, plus I love what I've seen so far of the Ikki line and want to support the line.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
I truly enjoyed this first volume, and you did a great job discussing it. Heck, the day you don't do a thoughtful intelligent review I will probably witness pigs flying outside my window.

But...
chronilogical -> chronological
sombrely -> somberly
naivitie -> naivete
predomiantly -> predominantly
trust-worthy -> trustworthy
umistakable -> unmistakable
melocholy -> melancholy

And one does not generally say that someone "excels really well" at something.

Please, Lissa, get yourself an editor! You are too good of a reviewer to have this many typos!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Please, Lissa, get yourself an editor! You are too good of a reviewer to have this many typos!

This was actually totally my fault. I usually edit the reviews as a word .doc and in my haste pasted my un-spellchecked version of the review into the window. It isn't Lissa's fault, I am her editor.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

This was actually totally my fault. I usually edit the reviews as a word .doc and in my haste pasted my un-spellchecked version of the review into the window. It isn't Lissa's fault, I am her editor.

Thanks for owning up to your mistakes, it makes you a better man than 99.9% of the internet!

I just have noticed a number of typos in her works. Maybe I only notice them because I noticed them once and now I subconsciously look out for them? Maybe other reviewers are just as bad and I don't notice?

Ah well. I really do love her thoughtful "consider all sides" style, though.
dan7el

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
At first, the animation put me off. Ugh. The lips!

The animation never grew on me, but the story did. I thoroughly enjoyed this anime and looked forward to each new episode. I found the final episode provided a good resolution..

Things I wish I'd have seen more of:

1. While he main character was a very good samauri, we only got to see him in action once. I'd have liked to have seen him kick some serious buttocks a few times.

Actually, that's it really. I know the main character was supposed to have "problems" with his self-esteem, but I'd have enjoyed seeing him in action more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1