• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN's OreImo episode 2 leaked before airing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan297na

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't expect them to invent stories. But I find it hard to believe if they are involved in the leak that they don't have any news on the subject. And if they are withholding info that they have, then they really aren't doing there job as a news site.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:
I wouldn't expect them to invent stories. But I find it hard to believe if they are involved in the leak that they don't have any news on the subject. And if they are withholding info that they have, then they really aren't doing there job as a news site.

You're being absurd. Just because ANN is a news site does not mean they are somehow obligated to report all private, internal information they may have access to. I mean, come on. Would you demand that CNN make every detail regarding the inner workings of their organization public just because it might, be accessible to them? No, of course not.

At this time, ANN has not chosen to make any sort of public statement or announcement regarding the incident. Though it may or may not be wise, ANN has every right not to make further information regarding the incident public, just as Crunchyroll or Funimation would if this had happened to them.

In terms of the information that has been made public, ANN's news department has reported it faithfully and accurately as is their duty.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure exactly what kind of information you are looking for. Where the site will go from here with it is still up in the air, so as I said, there is nothing really to report there at this time. What else is there you are looking for exactly? We know it leaked obviously, but that's pretty much all that is known at this time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan297na

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:55 am Reply with quote
If something regarding the inner workings of CNN is something news worthy then yes, they should report it. Look at the recent firing of Rick Sanchez. That was something that had to do with the organization itself and they still reported what happened and why right on their front page.

And as for Crunchy Roll and Funimation, they are not news organizations, ANN is, so you can't compare the two.

If they really don't know the source of the leak right now then fine, I understand why there is no announcement. If they do know where it came from then yes, as a news site it should be reported as news. Not doing so is showing that they can't be an unbiased news source in regards to shows they license.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
Frankly, I don't even agree with that anyways. The news is that it happened, the how and why it happened isn't really news, particularly if they're just reporting to people how to exploit the system. No company does that, not even CNN when their site was barraged by attacks. There's a big difference between an internal employee shuffle and a criminal act or attack on the organization. They reported it happened, they didn't report how or why, and a company would be foolish to even do so.

Not to mention the nature of these crimes is virtually undetectable. The reality is they may never know the exact details because there's generally no footprints to follow with this sort of thing and it's doubtful agencies with the resources to investigate are going to bother with a case that is, in the end, pretty minor. So frankly, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a play by play or precise information, because it's doubtful ANN is even going to get what it is you seek.

If you really think ANN is somehow biased by not giving you details about something like this. No site would, no company would, and if you knew much about the cyber-security world you'd also know just how unlikely obtaining this information would even be. What we do have are the claims from those who did it, but they're unsubstantiated at this point. And if it was done the way they said they did it then it's frankly not going to leave a trail to follow since it would have exploited a flaw that left the file open.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan297na

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote
I never said anything about the reporting the method of how the file was taken, I wouldn't expect that. I am just talking about reporting on what site they were taken from. Compare it to this, animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-05-30/one-piece-newest-episode-leaked-before-japan-debut where it states it was taken from Funimations server. If they want to be an unbiased news source then I would expect the same level of reporting even if it is a series they themselves have the license for. If they truly don't know at this time where the leak came from then I apologize for jumping to conclusions. If they do though then I stand by my statement that it is news and they should report on it, just like they did when one piece was leaked.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
No one knows for certain, but it seems the general assumption at this point is that it came from ANN's servers. I imagine that will be part of the announcement once Chris has worked things out with Aniplex and makes an official release about the events.

Unfortunately the timing was bad with the staff in New York to report on a convention and the weekend and a holiday in Japan today and all. I imagine if it had happened midweek and official release would have already been put out.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:
Compare it to this, animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-05-30/one-piece-newest-episode-leaked-before-japan-debut where it states it was taken from Funimations server.

Note that it states that "The downloadable copy contains Funimation's logo and English subtitles" - the file couldn't have come from anywhere else, and it is entirely possible there was more information publicly available in that instance about the method of obtaining the file (I can't really remember, and wouldn't have been able to access it anyway).

In this instance the file is raw and un-watermarked making the source less certain (niconico is streaming the series also so other copies are out there). While it may be obvious to some where the file came from, and I'm personally almost certain it was from ripped from ANN's third party CDN, I don't have the tools and know-how to actually replicate and verify what happened and I'm region blocked anyway. If I was reporting this on a personal blog I would probably just say it was ANN, but assuming that the Egan or whoever made the report knows about as much as I do can you honestly blame them from holding off for an official statement?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:
If they really don't know the source of the leak right now then fine, I understand why there is no announcement. If they do know where it came from then yes, as a news site it should be reported as news. Not doing so is showing that they can't be an unbiased news source in regards to shows they license.

Okay, let me just stop you there. I don't think you really know what 'unbiased' means. It is ANN's duty to report the facts they are able to obtain from their various sources in an accurate and complete manner. If ANN had chosen not to report that the episode was leaked or if hypothetically it had the ANN logo and subtitles on it and they did not report it to paint themselves in a more favourable light then yes, clearly that would be a case of bias because then they would be omitting part of the information that is out there.

That is not what you are saying though is it? You seem to be saying that because presumably Chris or Justin or someone else at ANN has some further info about this event, it is then their duty to make it public. All I can say to that is no. That is not how it works. ANN has every right to not make this info public, just as they are not required to inform us of every title they were interested in licensing or how much they payed for these titles or the exact terms of the contract or a million other things that they do not choose to make public. They have every right to keep private information private just as Funimation or Crunchyroll would in this situation. The fact that ANN is also a news site does not change this.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Okay, let me just stop you there. I don't think you really know what 'unbiased' means. It is ANN's duty to report the facts they are able to obtain from their various sources in an accurate and complete manner. If ANN had chosen not to report that the episode was leaked or if hypothetically it had the ANN logo and subtitles on it and they did not report it to paint themselves in a more favourable light then yes, clearly that would be a case of bias because then they would be omitting part of the information that is out there.

That is not what you are saying though is it? You seem to be saying that because presumably Chris or Justin or someone else at ANN has some further info about this event, it is then their duty to make it public. All I can say to that is no. That is not how it works. ANN has every right to not make this info public, just as they are not required to inform us of every title they were interested in licensing or how much they payed for these titles or the exact terms of the contract or a million other things that they do not choose to make public. They have every right to keep private information private just as Funimation or Crunchyroll would in this situation. The fact that ANN is also a news site does not change this.
I have to disagree with this, and it's because they are indeed first and formost a "news site" that they have to keep that integraty intact at all cost if they do not want to lose credibility as "The Internet's Most Trusted Anime News Site" which will become a dead albatross around their necks forever if they don't. Make no mistake this is a very bad hole blown into their hull. How they repair the damage will determine if they save the ship, or she goes down to the mud. Holidays, or no, I fear valuable time was let slip which will have compounded the damage even further. Business knows no holidays when it's yours. Wink
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I have to disagree with this, and it's because they are indeed first and formost a "news site" that they have to keep that integraty intact at all cost...

ANN did report the news of the leak. As ikillchicken stated, anything beyond this is not required under "news" but a demand for privileged information the public is not entitled to.

Think about the FUNimation sale: we're told there are interested buyers but are not privileged to know who those buyers are.

The irony of this situation becomes comical when, just last week, ANN was much more worried about a review of the streaming content as a conflict of interest.

At least that's settled.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
You're assuming the lack of news at this point is due to a holiday, and such is a poor assumption. Again, if there are no developments to report then there are no developments to report. And no, again, ANN does not prove they are the most trusted news source by airing out every bit of pointless information in regards to what happened. And, again, expecting such information in regards to a digital theft of this nature is foolish since these types of things are virtually untraceable, especially if it did happen the way people are claiming it did.

Frankly, if ANN makes crap up to satisfy people then that is far more damaging to being a trusted news source than stating news when there's news to state.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I have to disagree with this, and it's because they are indeed first and formost a "news site" that they have to keep that integraty intact at all cost...

ANN did report the news of the leak. As ikillchicken stated, anything beyond this is not required under "news" but a demand for privileged information the public is not entitled to.

Think about the FUNimation sale: we're told there are interested buyers but are not privileged to know who those buyers are.

The irony of this situation becomes comical when, just last week, ANN was much more worried about a review of the streaming content as a conflict of interest.

At least that's settled.
I think you've missed my point here. Keeping privileged information that is for the security of a business transaction out of circulation is not what's happening here. Yes the editors have reported the event, but have also tried to close the barn door after the horse that bagged them as the casualties of a self inflicted wound ran out into the open, by retracting some of the info first reported. A news organisation that appears to be seen to try a cover up of it's own news event with vagaries and retractions is in jeopardy of losing it's credibility of being integral and unbiased, which will compound the damage being done even more as other anime news sites won't be so sympathetic. In news journalism it's dog-eat-dog. They must be open and honest, or say nothing until they can be.
dfrehil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
they reported OP was "stolen" from funimation's servers, i don't see why they can't do the same thing here.

oh look a relevant link entered my life

http://chocolatesyrupywaffles.com/?p=24729
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
dfrehil wrote:
they reported OP was "stolen" from funimation's servers, i don't see why they can't do the same thing here.

This has already been addressed once in this same thread. The Funimation leak had Funimation's logo and subtitles on it. It was undoubtably leaked from Funimation.

However, while it does seem likely that this leak from ANN based on the events that followed, it did not carry any definitive markings and so it is not as of yet a matter of fact that it came from ANN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3