• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Tenchou x Touhou, Railgun Promos Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
The Touhou segment of the promo..... Shocked
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
The pv for Touhou

So much win, this is gonna be epic.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
It was hard to see a lot of the detail, but what I could make out looks absolutely *beautiful*. Given this is the closest thing to a full blown "official" Touhou anime we'll get, I'd have taken anything, but it looks like a lot of good work is going into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
ufoTable knows its gothloli danmaku (or at least gothloli Itami circus).
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Sweet Ran Yakumo in there now I what to watch it
copycatzero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Yuukichan's Papa wrote:
It was hard to see a lot of the detail, but what I could make out looks absolutely *beautiful*. Given this is the closest thing to a full blown "official" Touhou anime we'll get, I'd have taken anything, but it looks like a lot of good work is going into it.

Except even then it can't really be considered "official". ZUN basically said (according to the previous news post on the issue) that he's got nothing to do with the project (the credit for him on the promo was just "Original Creator"). About the only thing that seperates this from MAIKAZE's project (putting aside any snark about the quality of MAIKAZE's project) is that it's a big-name anime studio doing it rather than an independent doujin circle.

If anything, this is probably making ZUN MORE uncomfortable than MAIKAZE's anime did, simply because it IS such a high-profile thing.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
copycatzero wrote:
Except even then it can't really be considered "official". ZUN basically said (according to the previous news post on the issue) that he's got nothing to do with the project (the credit for him on the promo was just "Original Creator"). About the only thing that seperates this from MAIKAZE's project (putting aside any snark about the quality of MAIKAZE's project) is that it's a big-name anime studio doing it rather than an independent doujin circle.

If anything, this is probably making ZUN MORE uncomfortable than MAIKAZE's anime did, simply because it IS such a high-profile thing.

There is something strange about the whole issue, that a major studio would feel free to do this without even notifying the creator, whether or not the creator has any direct ability to stop it (anybody versed in the legalities of works like Touhou able to shed some light on that?). A small group of fans, sure, but a major studio promoting it and ZUN wasn't even aware of it?

I suppose this situation is different because there's no indication that this work will be commercially available whereas a full-blown anime series would be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Yuukichan's Papa wrote:

There is something strange about the whole issue, that a major studio would feel free to do this without even notifying the creator, whether or not the creator has any direct ability to stop it (anybody versed in the legalities of works like Touhou able to shed some light on that?).

I assume that they notified him at some point. It's just that because it's a derivative work and not a licensed venture, they're under no obligation to share project details. Therefore, he wouldn't know exactly what they're making.

Anyway, ZUN owns the copyright, so he certainly has the power to stop a derivative work that particularly ticks him off. He has guidelines that specify what people are allowed to do.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
I assume that they notified him at some point. It's just that because it's a derivative work and not a licensed venture, they're under no obligation to share project details. Therefore, he wouldn't know exactly what they're making.

Anyway, ZUN owns the copyright, so he certainly has the power to stop a derivative work that particularly ticks him off. He has guidelines that specify what people are allowed to do.

Thanks, I figured it was that simple but wanted to make sure. The logistics of these things wig me out sometimes when it's not as straightforward as what most of the cases are.
copycatzero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Yuukichan's Papa wrote:

There is something strange about the whole issue, that a major studio would feel free to do this without even notifying the creator, whether or not the creator has any direct ability to stop it (anybody versed in the legalities of works like Touhou able to shed some light on that?). A small group of fans, sure, but a major studio promoting it and ZUN wasn't even aware of it?

I suppose this situation is different because there's no indication that this work will be commercially available whereas a full-blown anime series would be.

Hm, yeah, I glanced back through this news item and the previous one, and it didn't really go into any details as to how this project is going to be distributed -- whether it will actually be available for purchase or just screened at Animate stores.

However, when I glanced at the previous news item to refresh my memory as to what ZUN is supposed to have said, he did call it a "derivative work", so I imagine this falls under the same legal umbrella as other doujin series: the copyright holder does have the authority to cause the derivative work to cease, but most copyright holders (except in a few notable cases, like Nintendo going after a group that did Pokemon hentai) don't actually bother, since the derivative works generally don't make money.

That being said, this project is being created to promote Anime Tenchou, i.e. the mascot for Animate, so even if they don't actually make money on the project itself (by selling DVDs of it at a markup, for example), they're in theory going to be making money from increased sales. The problem is that, unlike other copyright enforcement instances, where a big company makes an independent circle cease and desist, this would be an independent circle trying to get a big company to cease and desist, and I don't think ZUN's going to try to do that.

So, as I was sort of saying, I think ZUN's probably just gritting his teeth and waiting for this to blow over.

[EDIT] Ah, I see my tendency to linger over my posts comes back to bite me even here. Or, in other words...
e:fb

Last edited by copycatzero on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Looks good to me. Wow, nice animation.
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
The video was made private. guys might wanna fix that.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Found a new one here if anyone is interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjcsfhBk5Ig
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1