• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Longview

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Extra credit: if you comment on this episode, include in your notes what anime you think would make a great live-action adaptation. Joshua is listening!

Well, okay! I think a Soul Eater movie could potentially be very cool, provided they got the style and atmosphere right... I'm also hoping that Full Metal Panic movie ends up getting made, it seems like primo Hollywood material. Cool
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
I would love to see a Soul Eater movie as well. I don't know how feasible it is, but I think it could work.

Or talk to the guys who made this trailer for Pokemon and make it into a full-fledged movie. I'd totally pay to see this in the theaters.

Er... nothing much else to add now. Time for bed. I'll list to more than just the first 5 minutes tomorrow *cough*latertoday*cough*.

----

EDIT: Yeah, thinking further on these things, I'm not entirely how a movie of Soul Eater could be made that would please its fans and sell well. Or what kind of storyline/plot would be. Maybe the Medusa frees Ashura arc? Yeah, not certain.

And as to how to market a live-action, "dark" Pokemon movie... yeah, I don't know how that'd be done either. For the older fans who grew up with the original, they'd probably appreciate it (comments on the video seems to suggest it's 50/50), but for younger fans who are got involved with the newer series/seasons, it wouldn't be so appropriate (and I imagine that some ignorant parents might throw up a crap storm after realizing that the "kid's" movie they went to see has darker themes than they were expecting).

So, both of my suggestions aren't really suggestions but rather a fan wishing on a shooting star.

But I agree with the general consensus on Black Lagoon.

Last edited by Crisha on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
We wondered why Justin & Chris were "called away to a meeting" at the ANN panel at NYAF.

We got in first row and everything, but seeing as they weren't coming, Persephone really wanted to see the Black Butler premiere (*who* puts these things at the same time?)...so we had to go. Did make sure to take the time to tell Gia how much I liked AnimeBriefs.com (it helped when Viz had all those layoffs).

Consequently, Black Butler was surprisingly funny, but she enjoyed it on a level which I do not.

But yes, the overcrowding on the main dealer's floor was unbearable.

Arguably it was worse than when I went to San Diego Comic Con this summer; their dealer's floor is so large that you can just stay "one step ahead" of the great mass of people, moving around to where its less crowded as waves of people move around.

NYCC's dealer's floor was just large enough that you couldn't find what you wanted to get to, but small enough, with anime wedged along one side, that you really had to fight your way over crowds.

I could go on, but in short, it was very stressful.

Yeah I don't really bother with opening ceremonies either.

The weird thing? Because I was running 2 Evangelion panels (which went pretty well) we got Speaker passes, and we got there around noon Friday...the result was that we got to get in early using our Speaker passes and wander around the empty dealer's floor before the big crowds arrived. That was cool.

Last edited by _V_ on Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Extra credit: if you comment on this episode, include in your notes what anime you think would make a great live-action adaptation. Joshua is listening!

Haven't finished listening to the episode, mind, but being a bigger fan of cinema than anime, and fascinated in the (potential of) good adaptations thereof~

Black Lagoon I don't even like this anime because I find it a little too crass for my tastes, but it is an impressive show and was tailor-made to be a great action movie. (Don't know why, but it reminds me of Die Hard in style, and anything that reminds me of Die Hard has to be a pretty good thing.) Distinctive characters, simple story, but incredibly memorable. Its sellable/adaptable qualities are pretty contiguous with Bebop's, so there's not much to add to that. Episodic base to play with, strong premise/writing, fun but vicious when needed, Western feel, etc.

TRIGUN Oh...same thing? Laughing The characters are great in this, the universe is unique, "sci-fi western," yes, but relatable, "soft" science fiction, mostly a human drama despite all the great action and humor. (Its "superhero" and his struggle is universal in...somewhat the way Spiderman is, the author took a lot of heavy influence from Spiderman.) ANYWAY: Great hero, great villain, unusually awesome side characters, mostly fun and action-packed but incredibly provocative just by nature of its premise. Good stuff. Hell, GREAT stuff. If Bebop gets off the ground, it could be a nice tag to pitch this off of. Laughing

...may add more when I think of 'em, but those were the first two that sprung to mind. ^^; Hope there's a brighter future for anime adaptations out there. That'd be spiffy~

Last edited by JacobC on Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:57 am; edited 2 times in total
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Marimite! Oh, wait, its already on the way, now to get it licensed to stream on Crunchyroll ...

... um, FLAG?

Looking through my favorites, I realize that many of my favorite series would not work well in a movie format, but FLAG might.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
TRIGUN Oh...same thing? Laughing The characters are great in this, the universe is unique, "sci-fi western," yes, but relatable, "soft" science fiction, mostly a human drama despite all the great action and humor. (Its "superhero" and his struggle is universal in...somewhat the way Spiderman is, the author took a lot of heavy influence from Spiderman.) ANYWAY: Great hero, great villain, unusually awesome side characters, mostly fun and action-packed but incredibly provocative just by nature of its premise. Good stuff.

That was totally the one I was gonna say, though the way the last "western" movie turned-out (Jonah Hex) I'm fearful.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
TRIGUN Oh...same thing? Laughing The characters are great in this, the universe is unique, "sci-fi western," yes, but relatable, "soft" science fiction, mostly a human drama despite all the great action and humor. (Its "superhero" and his struggle is universal in...somewhat the way Spiderman is, the author took a lot of heavy influence from Spiderman.) ANYWAY: Great hero, great villain, unusually awesome side characters, mostly fun and action-packed but incredibly provocative just by nature of its premise. Good stuff.

That was totally the one I was gonna say, though the way the last "western" movie turned-out (Jonah Hex) I'm fearful.

Weeeeell...that was Jonah Hex. Laughing There were all sorts of problems there, not the very least of which was advertising. Westerns still make money, though. There's probably a MUCH better example out there than this but the first thing that popped into my head was 3:10 to Yuma. I know there are many others too, but westerns still draw a crowd if you know how to promote it.

EDIT: And box office notwithstanding, (although I...think these both did quite well,) No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood are pretty good indications of westerns making critical headway in recent years too...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
So... someone is looking forward to Portal 2 I take it?

Well, at least an executive producer for the Bebop movie sounds passionate, but I have to remain in the crowd that doesn't think it will ever see the light of day. I'm sure the crew are working hard on this, but I just don't think Hollywood will ever see this through. I'd certainly support the movie if it's ever released though. Not sure how a Furuba movie would work out, but there is definitely a fanbase for it.

As far as anime that could project to live action movies, I honestly think Monster, trimmed down of course, could work out quite well.

Last edited by Megiddo on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
allengator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
An anime that can be turned into a live action movie? Right away, the only two series that I think would make good adaptations (in my head) would be either Baccano! or Eden of the East. I know Baccano is more of an anime about the western 1930's culture, but I think if done properly, it could bring in people who are into Americana ganster-type movies possibly.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
Isn't it obvious, Cutie Honey, I heard Hideaki Anno is a huge fan so he should be able to direct a live action movie of it.

JesuOtaku wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

Weeeeell...that was Jonah Hex. Laughing There were all sorts of problems there, not the very least of which was advertising. Westerns still make money, though. There's probably a MUCH better example out there than this but the first thing that popped into my head was 3:10 to Yuma. I know there are many others too, but westerns still draw a crowd if you know how to promote it.

EDIT: And box office notwithstanding, (although I...think these both did quite well,) No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood are pretty good indications of westerns making critical headway in recent years too...

3:10 to Yuma made 70 million dollars not bad, but I question how your going to make that much while having the massive special effects that a Trigun movie might need. I mean you have to include the Angel Gun, you need to emphasize the weird abilities of the Gung Ho Guns, and I wonder how your going to get the Punisher made.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
RevliSDawN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
+1 for Black Lagoon. I would absolutely love to see a Live Action of it. It seems perfect for Western Audiences
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
FLCL could easily be adapted to live-action in a style similar to Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. I personally would love to see it, but the chances are 0% considering how awful SP did in theaters.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
Wow, so they even have Edward in this live-action movie. I wonder how they'll pull her off. Or if the ship will look the same as in the show. Or if the ISSP will be in it. Or whether Vicious will have his bird. Or if...

Well, it seems like this guy does know the show, at least, so there's that. And they're working with Sunrise, hopefully more than just out of novelty.

He should have pitched it as "Serenity... except people will care!"

Wish I could get ahold of the script.

Trauma Team sounds like Black Jack.

If Yoko Kanno doesn't contribute to the CB movie, it will be missing some of its soul. It's as if Yoko Kanno herself is a character in the show (well, Ed is based on her).

In the 90s, Gunsmith Cats would have been perfect for live-action, but I'm not sure anyone would care now.

Baccano is a title that might work in live action.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
About the dog...
http://www.movic.jp/index.php?ctrl=sheet&code=8413
http://www.movic.jp/index.php?ctrl=sheet&code=8414
http://odeya.jp/gallery/takizawaakira.htm

Since many cosplayers in America usually sow their own clothes, Zac should probably talk to someone who cosplays to get some bunny wings.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

In the 90s, Gunsmith Cats would have been perfect for live-action, but I'm not sure anyone would care now.

I don't know how well the whole main villain wants to turn our hero into her lesbian sex slave will sell.

I would watch it though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7