• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magic Knight Rayearth remastered sets

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so I have both Rayearth Economy sets that came out (including the large version of Rayearth 2's brick :/) and I keep looking at the new remastered editions...

Now, I've upgraded my disks before because of content/cosmetic reasons, like Castle of Caligostro (extras plus it has NICE cover art for once AND a slip cover!) but I want to make sure with Rayearth. Is it touched up noticeably? And does it have ALL the extras (if not, more) than the economy releases?

Once I have my info, I'll be looking into the new editions and perhaps selling my old ones...stupid unecessarily large brick that they ended up shrinking down for a complete collection release Anime hyper With that in mind, should I wait for a cheaper collection for the remasters?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Snatcher2047 from Mania took comparison shots:
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1766867&postcount=98

So it's a pretty large difference. Even though I haven't watched it yet, I ran it through my BD player and onto my HDTV just to see what it'd look like on a decent set up, and it is quite lovely. The packaging is also pretty nifty with the two slim digipaks it uses (I can take pics if you want). So with all that said, if I were you, I'd upgrade.

Quote:
Once I have my info, I'll be looking into the new editions and perhaps selling my old ones...stupid unecessarily large brick that they ended up shrinking down for a complete collection release Anime hyper

If you're referring to the World Of complete collection, that's actually just the two economy packs in a slipcover, so it's not thinner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, it is pretty nice! Even the video format shows some more (yet, doesn't look totally widescreen).

Oh, and yes I was referring to the World of Collection, but back when the economy sets were releases seperately, the Rayearth 2 set is the size of the collection box all on it's own! >_> Like, the brick has 4 "pages" that open up :/

Hmmm looking at the screenshots I might end up keeping the old ones anyways, for collectors' sake. Plus, I'm a fan of remasters as much as I am a fan of the original style of artwork^^
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Here's another comparison shot from the AnimeNation forums:
http://www.animenation.net/forums/showpost.php?p=6909795&postcount=61

As for details, the following is what i posted at the Sailor Moon Forum back in April when season 1 was released.

Quote:
-The opening & ending of each episode has the Japanese songs in both audio tracks subbed while the Sandy Fox dubbed songs are extras on one of the discs.

-The original ending for the last episode is restored for this set.

Quote:
Disc 1 extras:

-Textless Opening
-Textless Ending
-Interview With Julie Maddalena
-Art Gallery

Disc 2 extras

-Textless Opening (English Version)
-Textless Ending (English Version)
-Interview With Ellen Wilkinson
-Interview With Wendee Lee
-Outtakes

Disc 3 extras

-Textless Opening (International Version)
-Interview With Kaeko Sakamoto

Disc 4 extras

-Spell Index
-Cast List With Character Profiles
-Interview With Director Toshihiro Hirano
-Group Interview With English Cast
-Opening Song (Alternate Version)

Quote:
-The sound quality on the interviews sucks. They're low and muffled to the point where the volume has to be turned up.

Quote:
-The Toshihiro Hirano interview actually sounds better and more clearer than the English cast interviews.

-The sound quality on the "international opening" is pretty bad but not as bad as the English cast interviews.

Someone at the forum asked if the "Who Is It Today" clips are placed at the end of the episodes like they should be and indeed they are along with the next episode previews which, as a result of never being dubbed at all only has the preview music playing with no voices in the dub track with just the next episode title subbed.

Also,

Quote:
-The English credits for each episode on the disc are displayed in a black screen after the last episode (episode 5 in disc 1) with both ending & opening themes playing.

Someone should tell FUNi to take notes, that way if they were to follow MB's way of dealing with Openings & Endings then they won't be getting so much heat like they are right now over My Bride Is A Mermaid & Birdy The Mighty: Decode. Razz
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
So with the openings, I take it it's still like the original version? I saw fansubs WAY back when, and recalled Season 2 having both openings alternate every episode, but the official release just kept one of the openings, with the second opening as an extra.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
So with the openings, I take it it's still like the original version? I saw fansubs WAY back when, and recalled Season 2 having both openings alternate every episode, but the official release just kept one of the openings, with the second opening as an extra.

For season 1, the openings & endings are left intact with the japanese themes and kanji credits. Not sure about season 2 since that set has yet to be released (damn repetitive delays Mad) or in Hulu's case, has yet to be posted on the site.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:36 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

For season 1, the openings & endings are left intact with the japanese themes and kanji credits. Not sure about season 2 since that set has yet to be released (damn repetitive delays Mad)

It's out. Mine arrived from Right Stuf yesterday. It might not be out in brick and mortar stores yet though.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

For season 1, the openings & endings are left intact with the japanese themes and kanji credits. Not sure about season 2 since that set has yet to be released (damn repetitive delays Mad)

It's out. Mine arrived from Right Stuf yesterday. It might not be out in brick and mortar stores yet though.

Got it late last week: pics
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Ok, so I have both Rayearth Economy sets that came out (including the large version of Rayearth 2's brick :/) and I keep looking at the new remastered editions...

Now, I've upgraded my disks before because of content/cosmetic reasons, like Castle of Caligostro (extras plus it has NICE cover art for once AND a slip cover!) but I want to make sure with Rayearth. Is it touched up noticeably? And does it have ALL the extras (if not, more) than the economy releases?

Once I have my info, I'll be looking into the new editions and perhaps selling my old ones...stupid unecessarily large brick that they ended up shrinking down for a complete collection release Anime hyper With that in mind, should I wait for a cheaper collection for the remasters?

I thought the video improvement quality alone (like Berserk) made it worth it. Season 2 just shipped to me, but I am really pleased with season 1. Especially since they put the English open as an extra (they could not call it uncut with the English open in there, I love both btw).

A very paint by numbers series, but it does what it sets out to do very well and wins you over.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Got my season 2 set earlier today and i just finished checking each disc (since i don't plan to watch the episodes until tomorrow) so here's some details starting with the extras.

Disc 5:

-Textless Opening 2
-Textless Ending 2
-TV Spots

Disc 6:

-Pilot Film
-Art Gallery

Disc 7:

-Textless Ending 2 (English Version)
-Production Sketches
-Storyboards

Disc 8:

-Character Profiles
-Spell Index

Disc 9:

-Textless Opening 3
-Textless Ending 3
-The How To Draw Mokona Song

Disc 10:

-Textless Opening 2 (English Version) (This is actually Textless Opening 3 but since this was the only Opening dubbed for this season they kept it as 2)
-Interview With Audio Director Yasuo Urakami
-English Dub Director Audio Commentary For Episode 49
-Outtakes

(Discs 1-4 & Opening & Ending 1 are part of the season 1 set)

Quick Notes:

-The first opening & second ending which were extras in the original releases are intact in the episodes that they are supposed to be in (subbed of course).

-The "Who Is It Today!" clip with Primera is in Japanese on both audio tracks with subtitles also in the song/sign sub track.

And that's it! For more details on video & sound quality, check out Chris Beveridge's reviews for Season 1 & Season 2.
JMS94

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately it seems that none of the more in-depth reviews are still available. Could anyone perhaps inform me on the audio channels for the remastered sets?

I own the larger "Memorial Sets" that came out a long while back which were 2.0 Stereo and I was wondering if the audio had been remastered as well since a lot of remastered animes tend to be in 5.1 Surround.

Assuming that the audio was remastered did they by chance remaster any of the extras features such as the English Intros, Endings and the interviews?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
According to the boxes, all audio is 2.0, both Japanese and English.
JMS94

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the information, I suppose that means the "Remastering" must mainly be in terms of improved visuals and the use of all the original Japanese OP/ED themes.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
For what it is worth, creating a 5.1 audio track is usually done when the English track is created. Generally the Japanese track is only 5.1 when it was created that way in Japan. I don't think I have ever seen the on disk extras done in 5.1, even when the dub track is. Since most on disk extras consist of people talking there is not much point in attempting to record this in anything other than stereo.

Media Blasters and their sub label Anime Works have not been doing well for some time now. Even though this was issued in 2010 I suspect that any "remastering" was done in Japan and they just issued a new version with improved materials received from Japan.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
It seems that the question was answered, so I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread now. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1