• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why hasn't ANN covered Code Geass in any reviews?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
There's a few distinct discussions going on here, but I guess it's worth leaving my two cents.

On ANN rankings and scores:

I believe this has already been the subject of several debates, but the fact is it's simply something that comes with the territory. If you're going to allow users to participate by providing their own rankings, you shouldn't be surprised if the results are colored by popularity.

And if those who disliked the first series or season of a popular franchise are less likely to watch its continuation, the resulting scores will probably turn out to be higher than those for the original. This can be seen in the cases of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Clannad After Story, all of which also contain what we could call "sequel bias" to a greater or lesser extent.

In the end...I really don't think it's worth worrying about, unless you're trying to use those scores as a guideline. Personally, I prefer to read reviews instead and would invite those frustrated by any of this to do the same.

On the lack of reviews for Code Geass R2:

I was suspecting something like that had to be the case myself, but it's good to have confirmation from Key.

On Code Geass itself:

Flawed but entertaining and not uninteresting. In essence, it's not something anyone should take too seriously.

The first series was better than the second, but it's true that realism and plausibility were never a priority. The sequel was too much of a mess, which did disappoint me, but in spite of this...overall, I believe there still were some aspects that can be defended from a critical perspective and if, nothing else, prove that the only available stances aren't either blind praise or absolute dismissal.
loka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that some of the ANN writers, e.g. Erin, rent the majority of the review material from Netflix. No one was willing to use Netflix for a Code Geass R2 review??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2