• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Wolf's Rain DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:30 pm Reply with quote
wasn't this already reviewed a long time ago in Shelf Life?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Everything gets "reviewed" in Shelf Life. Then sometimes they'll post a more in-depth review of a title. If ann never published anything but Shelf Life for reviews, you'd have one person's paragraph-long opinion on everything and then nothing else. Which isn't a good editorial policy for a site like this.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Well I am very pleased with the review.
DragonofHeaven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, I love Wolf's Rain up to this point; problem is that I need to watch it again since I missed a number of episodes along the way. Will it be reaired anytime soon?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:57 pm Reply with quote
DragonofHeaven wrote:
Well, I love Wolf's Rain up to this point; problem is that I need to watch it again since I missed a number of episodes along the way. Will it be reaired anytime soon?

Well, I've seen it replayed along the 2:30 AM (since I'm in Central Time, so I guess that's 3:30 AM EST) time slot after it's initial run on Adult Swim. However, it's only the most recent one, other than that, I think that's all there is for now.

I'm sure they might rerun it though once it's completely finished.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Adult Swim almost always reruns animes, and since Wolfs Rain is fairly popular, I'm sure they will show it quite a bit.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:20 am Reply with quote
Wow, glad to hear folks actually approve of this one. First thread that's been started in reference to one of my reviews.

Yes, my actual name is Justin. No fooling, and I'm grateful for the positives. Very Happy
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:07 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Wow, glad to hear folks actually approve of this one. First thread that's been started in reference to one of my reviews.

Yes, my actual name is Justin. No fooling, and I'm grateful for the positives. Very Happy

WOW IS YOUR NAME REALLY JUSTIN

Oh too late sry thanks lol
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I have to say while I thought the review was very well spoken I had a problem with this:
Quote:
The wolf characters are very much cardboard cutouts of your typical anime personalities. Tsume is a tough and violent loner. Toboe is young and naive. Hige is wise-cracking and street smart, and Kiba is the idealistic introspective leader filled with determination and spirituality. If it weren't for some superb voice acting these characters would fall completely flat.

I felt that the main characters while being somewhat cardboard, by placing all these personalities together, you get a fresh new idea.

Certainly this has been done before but I haven't seen it done so nicely before so it made it feel new and exciting.

While the voice acting is great and hold the characters together, even without it I still think they could stand on their own. Try watching it in Japanese and you might get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I still think it's a great review of a great series and I'm nitpicking at this point so I'll leave it there. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:35 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion they're no more cardboardish (is that a word?) than the most characters in anime nowadays. But what Wolfs Rain brings to the table that makes it unique is not characters, but an amazing world and fable-like story.
DragonofHeaven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
In my opinion they're no more cardboardish (is that a word?) than the most characters in anime nowadays. But what Wolfs Rain brings to the table that makes it unique is not characters, but an amazing world and fable-like story.

I like how the story feels so surreal; it is like looking into another world that looks so much like ours but is somehow different. It's kind of like looking at Last Exile; those machines are a blast from the past.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I did watch it in Japanese (hence my comments on how they changed Hige's vernacular) and found that the characters were still very much at this point standard anime characters. As further volumes are released, that viewpoint may or may not change.

And I probably should have spent a bit more time saying that I agree that the concept of Wolf's Rain is its real strongpoint. The execution of the concept is very good in the first 5 episodes, but the story is in my eyes still idling when it needs to be in first gear.

It's probably just the sticking point of reviewing material as its released. You folks probably have a lot more exposure to the series than I, having seen more episodes. But from the first five, this is the impression I get.

Vol. 2 is how many weeks away? lol
Shorty22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:25 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Vol. 2 is how many weeks away? lol

I can't help but be somewhat amused at this... I just looked it up myself. Wink It was actually *looks at time* yesterday, 8/24.

I guess need to head on down to Suncoast and pick it up now. Heh. (I would have never thought that Suncoast's new release sale price would be cheaper than Amazon's preorder price, but that's the way it fell this time. Shocked )
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I really like Wolf's Rain's story and concept. They're like outcast trying to find a place where they beyond. In search of something meaningful to thier lives. Even though each of the character's personality are "cliche", you can't help but notice that they're different and how interact with each other base on thier motivation. Now when I think of it, a lot of character in anime has those type of cliche characterisc: Spike and Jet, Gin and Mugen. It would be dull if all the character are like and think a like...right?
ksb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Wolfs Rain is defintly one of my favorites. The storyline is pretty interesting. I'm sure it will be rerun 2 or 3 times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1