• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rie Tanaka, Male Angel Beats Character Get Body Pillow Covers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
lkmjr wrote:
A body pillow of a character? Okay. But a body pillow of an actual person? Beyond creepy.

Hypothetical response:

"Seiyuu aren't actual people. They're celebrities. Just like idols, they're personas created to sell related goods)."

Just look at how fast Aya Hirano's seiyuu career started falling apart when she started actually speaking her mind.

I like to back up your support with this kotaku articleI remember reading back in August.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh my Haruhi. Male body pillow?

Of an ANGEL BEATS! CHARACTER?!

xD I eagerly await the outcome of this~ I like to think I'm a bit...well, a lot too young for body pillows, but, honestly, male body pillow of a character from my favorite show = immense curiosity as to who it is...and how it'll be accepted...

Wait, BODY PILLOW OF A REAL PERSON?! That's just WRONG! o_O I can't believe she freaking agreed to that...does she realize that it could mean that fat, smelly pedophiles could be hugging her in the middle of the GAO WRONG IMAGE IN MAH BRAIN xO
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
ZipZapZopTitania wrote:
Wait, BODY PILLOW OF A REAL PERSON?! That's just WRONG! o_O I can't believe she freaking agreed to that...does she realize that it could mean that fat, smelly pedophiles could be hugging her in the middle of the GAO WRONG IMAGE IN MAH BRAIN xO

She's released a gravure-like photo album, so she's clearly already quite comfortable with her fans over the world m*********ing to pictures of her. Past that, it doesn't really make any difference.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Regarding male dakimakura, besides the Kuroshitsuji Sebastian one Starre257 mentioned above (RightStuf's pic/page here) and the Saiunkoku Monogatari one Dormcat linked, there are also two doublesided Togainu no Chi Akira/Shiki dakimakura: Version 1 (military uniforms) and Version 2 (er, "casual dress"?). Kind of ingenius really because being BL characters if you want to display them together (and you probably do) you have to buy two. Would I buy one of these? Considering I'd never "use" them in any sense of the word, $100+ (as these generally run on eBay) is pretty expensive for something I'd just put on/prop against the wall. For that price it'd be more economical to buy some posters or wallscrolls to serve the same purpose.
(Edit: Almost forgot about these Hakuouki ones: In uniform and... not.)

Same goes for "real-person" dakimakura-- a nice poster would be preferable. Though I'd definitely think twice if they made one for Kimura Takuya (presumably this is not the TK that other forumers are referencing above Laughing )-- but I'm sure I could never afford such a thing anyway.

Last edited by poonk on Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
A body pillow of a real person just seems super super super creepy to me. If she was half-naked (or more) on the pillow I guess I could understand it as a sex toy, but she's fully clothed so it's classier...

... but I think the classiness is just going to result in otaku refusing to hump it and saying something like, "I dry hump the others, but she respects herself so I treat her better than the others," and an image pops into my head of some guy in japan eating breakfast at a table and he has the body pillow propped up in a chair with a plate full of scrambled eggs and toast in front of it and he's convinced himself that this is his "classy" real life girlfriend.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
if you thought the Rie Tanaka body pillow was strange, I was snooping around Funimation forum and I discovered this, a video commercial of Todd Haberkorn action figure/doll. This video is full of LOL Laughing . This just get stranger for both of our VA.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
Someone recently posted in a MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3 Fate of Two Worlds thread on Japan's 2ch fighting game board a link to the Morrigan body pillow (Morrigan dakimakura) - that is, the Rie Tanaka body pillow.

At the MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3 Fate of Two Worlds Special Stage event held Saturday, September 18, 2010 at the Tokyo Game Show 2010 with the game's producer Ryouma Niitsuma, Rie Tanaka was introduced as the new Japanese voice actress for Capcom's popular, sexy, sultry succubus Morrigan Aensland in MVC3, originally from Darkstalkers [Vampire/Vampire Hunter/Vampire Savior].

(At the same event, Jouji Nakata was introduced as the Japanese voice actor for Capcom's Resident Evil [Biohazard] villain Albert Wesker in the game.)

Rie Tanaka has dabbled in many things besides voice acting in anime: singing, hosting radio shows, podcasts and television shows (e.g., Club AT-X Daburu A~ru on satellite TV anime channel AT-X with co-host and fellow seiyuu Rikiya Koyama), emceeing a live orchestral concert of famous game music back in 2006, acting on the stage in plays (Kotobuki!; Saboten to Buntline [Cactus and Buntline]) with theatrical, TV and film actors like Sae Isshiki and Jun Kaname of Kamen Rider Agito fame, designing a jewelry line (SeraphiRie), writing columns in Japanese and Taiwanese anime/game/manga/doujin magazines (Seiyuu Animedia, Dengeki PSP, Fancy Frontier, etc.), shooting a couple of photobooks (IrodoRie, IrodoRie 2), releasing calendars and trading cards, and so on.

A noted hardcore gamer, Rie Tanaka has done numerous roles in games. In addition to Morrigan Aensland in MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3, she is Miqo'te Voice 2 in FINAL FANTASY XIV, Neptune/Purple Heart in HYPERDIMENSION NEPTUNIA / SUPER DIMENSION GAME NEPTUNE (Chou Jigen Game Neptune), Mitsuru Kirijou in Shin Megami Tensei: PERSONA 3, protagonist Plum Scarlet in ELEMENTAL BATTLE ACADEMY, heroine Karen Erra and villainess Helga Neumann (Helga Noimann) in Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Portable, antagonist Sakuya Haibara in Fatal Frame IV/Zero ~Gesshoku no Kamen~ (Zero - Mask of the Lunar Eclipse), Sylphie and Ki in NAMCO X CAPCOM, Medoute and Zilva in BLAZE UNION, Queen Sophia in Luminous Arc 2 Will, Princess Irene von Rosenbaum in Hexyz Force, Selpina the White Mage in SACRED BLAZE, Drop in Rune Factory Frontier, Ciel in Rockman Zero (Mega Man Zero), and so on.

And Tanaka has cosplayed many of the characters she has voiced in anime, games and drama CDs - from Lacus Clyne, Chii (Freya, or Dark Chii) and Suigintou to Hiroko Matsutaka of Hataraki Man, Saki of Steel Angel Kurumi and Mariel of Hanaukyo Maid Team.

One of Rie Tanaka's more recent cosplays has been that of her role as Neptune - or more accurately, as Neptune's mature transformed goddess form, Purple Heart - the titular main character in the 2010 Japanese role playing game and battle of the game consoles for Sony PlayStation 3, HYPERDIMENSION NEPTUNIA (Chou Jigen Dimension Neptune).

Neptune is a young girl, a true loli in her regular, non-transformed form.

But if you can believe it, the main character Plum Scarlet in ELEMENTAL BATTLE ACADEMY is even more of a loli than Neptune. Both, however, are very energetic and highly expressive characters.

If memory serves me correctly, Plum Scarlet is only five years old. And Rie Tanaka's voice for Plum is the loudest, most easily heard voice in this 2010 3D fantasy action PC doujin game release by Fly-System, which features a stellar vocal cast of veteran and young Japanese seiyuu, including Tanaka as Plum, Rie Kugimiya as Lierre Verde, Mamiko Noto as Noce Marone, Yuki Matsuoka as Limone Flaus, Youko Hikasa as Cyneria Kyanos, Aki Toyosaki as Aprico Creer, Kei Shindou as Fiore Illusion, and Masami Iwasaki as Yami no Shouryou Alptraum.

(Voice samples of the female characters in the game are provided in the official character page linked directly above.)

This is one of the rare instances in which Rie Tanaka's voice is higher pitched than Rie Kugimiya's voice when they both play characters on the same anime, game, or drama CD. Another instance is the mixed media title Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka.

I think all the young girls in Elemental Battle Academy are either only kindergarten or first grade elementary school age.

In anime nowadays, Rie Tanaka usually voices adult women and mature-sounding teenage girls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2