• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Namco Bandai of America Lays Off 90 Employees

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
I feel sorry for those 90 without jobs...

And if the statement is correct, I suppose we can officially kiss any chances of getting more Tales games in the states goodbye
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Is that the group that was doing localizations? They seemed like
interesting games, even though I haven't yet got the hang of the
combat system.

Also, "digital games" seems to be using a new meaning for "digital".
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

And if the statement is correct, I suppose we can officially kiss any chances of getting more Tales games in the states goodbye

i gave up on that years ago. I've heard of companies that want to localize them but namco won't let them
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
What did Robert (from his Anime Corner) say about Bancolding$? "Setting the dial to 'dumb'?" C'mon, now.

Tekken was a relatively good game. And that "Versus" with Capcom sounds like a good idea.

Is it true that they're filled with jealousy and hatred after all (as oppose to "talent" and the perseverance to pull through with it)?

Or did I just answer my own question? Sad
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

This alone makes me very upset. I love the Tales series.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

This alone makes me very upset. I love the Tales series.

Yeah. For a while, other companies have been trying to localize the series, but damn Bamco won't let them!

After play ToV, I can honestly say that this depresses the gamer side of me greatly. I'm dying for Tales of Vesperia, the PS3 version.
Not so much for Tales of Graces since I've heard that the game wasn't all that great and the characters are a bit meh-ish.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:47 am Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:

After play ToV, I can honestly say that this depresses the gamer side of me greatly. I'm dying for Tales of Vesperia, the PS3 version.
Not so much for Tales of Graces since I've heard that the game wasn't all that great and the characters are a bit meh-ish.

my ps3 version of versperia keeps freezing. so i can't even finish the game. but i liked graces so much more. (probably because i hated most of the vesperia cast and quite like the graces characters)

but since i'm pretty sure it's been said that it's not coming here, i'll be one of the minority to know how fun it really is Smile
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
The game market is over-saturated right now. While not every game is Halo quality, there are some companies putting out a game a day. There's only so many games that one can play. And to add to that there's all the illegal copying of games going on. It's just not a good field to make any money in right now and the future only looks worse.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
The game market is over-saturated right now. While not every game is Halo quality, there are some companies putting out a game a day. There's only so many games that one can play. And to add to that there's all the illegal copying of games going on. It's just not a good field to make any money in right now and the future only looks worse.

Yes, but Namco Bandai has strong franchises. If some mediocre, lesser known game can make money, why can't Tales? Though I have to admit pooping out half a dozen Tales games every year can't be smart.

Anyway, I don't think this will have much of effect of the localization changes of the Tales games. They're talking about developing games and partnering with external development studios more often. Heck, they may finally get the hint that letting other companies handle the translation process of their games might be a good idea. You know, working with specialized companies instead of handling everything in-house.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Also, "digital games" seems to be using a new meaning for "digital".
Yup, sounds like a lawyer or marketer talking, making "digital distribution" into "digital" and "physical distribution" into "physical" and resulting in the absurdity of labeling everything that did not arrive on physical media as "digital games".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1