• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Christian Group Makes Manga to Curb Post-Quake Suicides

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I thought Christians hated anime and manga?

Oh no, we love Manga, I'm a born again christain and I read nothing but Manga, ( and the school texts books but we're required to.) and I have a few friends who are christian that enjoy manga as well. Smile
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
V1046-R wrote:
I really don't see this as an attempt at amatuer armchair psychology, and put out as an alternative choice to that service. If we relied on only psychologists to talk someone off a ledge, we would have a lot more dead people out there.

I have personally been forced to intervene when someone I knew tried to off himself by swalling a bottle of painkillers to kill himself. It was a crazy scene where I literally had to put my fingers in his mouth & force him to spit out the pills, all the while he was trying to fight me off. Real severe situation that scared the sh*t out of me. I am no psychologist, so I suppose I should have just referred that person to a professional & walked away instead?

I don't discount the value of individuals responding in the heat of the moment, but I'm not sure publishing a manga is an adequate comparison. To be blunt, it looks dubious and sounds far-fetched; I don't think I'm alone in this first impression. They wear it on their sleeve and aren't extremists trying to end the world or anything, but when an evangelical organization (the largest in the US, btw) makes it their business to get involved with victims of serious trauma that might be at risk for suicide, I see a conflict of interest. Altogether, it's difficult to take this seriously or see it as doing good for anyone but the CCC.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
If you're implying there's no therapists in Japan, you're wrong. Just because there's no Japanese Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer doesn't mean therapists don't exist, just they're not attention seeking enough for a TV show.
You're reading far too much into it. I was referring to depictions anyway(and for the record, I was thinking of the one from Paranoia Agent), the point being that Japanese culture discourages seeing a therapist even more than American culture does.

But jumping to asinine conclusions is much more fun!
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
I don't discount the value of individuals responding in the heat of the moment, but I'm not sure publishing a manga is an adequate comparison. To be blunt, it looks dubious and sounds far-fetched; I don't think I'm alone in this first impression. They wear it on their sleeve and aren't extremists trying to end the world or anything, but when an evangelical organization (the largest in the US, btw) makes it their business to get involved with victims of serious trauma that might be at risk for suicide, I see a conflict of interest. Altogether, it's difficult to take this seriously or see it as doing good for anyone but the CCC.
I doubt it's anything near as malicious as you're thinking - churches have long put out various support tracts and this is just another in that long line of works.
theoriginalrandomman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I'm sorry, what? Why would you think that? I mean yeah, there are a few extremists out there that claim EVERYTHING is satanic, but that's less of a "Christianity" thing and more of an insanity thing.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I doubt it's anything near as malicious as you're thinking - churches have long put out various support tracts and this is just another in that long line of works.

Regardless of affiliation, chariable organizations have certain responsibilities to fulfill in order to maintain their status as such. However, sectarian organizations have an additional challenge in obeying two masters (e.g. The United Way is not beholden to any agenda beyond being a CO, whereas the Mennonite Disaster Service needs to be a good Mennonite organization, in addition to being a good CO). Would that all sectarian COs could live up to the MDS's example. The unfortunate truth is that sometimes, such organizations are more interested in their religious vision than actually helping people in a way that is relevant to them (e.g. the Assemblies of God operates a number of COs that advocate "stealth evangelism"). These are wolves in sheep's clothing that take advantage of vulnerable individuals for their own ends.

In any event, I'm sure time will tell us a) if this is in any way effective and b) if this is less than scrupulous. In the meantime, I'm left stupified at this, shall we say innovative, use of the medium.

Last edited by dewlwieldthedarpachief on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Another misconception, take no notice.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
I didn't mean it as a stereotypical thing. I just see a lot of "this stuff is the work of the devil" nonsense a lot. Including people going as far to protests it's availability in public libraries after it apparently "tainted" some child.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3