• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - The Killing Fields

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
People like to overemphasize similarities. Episode 1 of Guilty Crown did have a similar structure to episode 1 of Code Geass and the setting of a Japan under the thumb of an outside power is there, though the circumstances are completely different. It's not like Code Geass invented that setting anyways.

Regardless, the shows are still not the same. Shu is not Lelouch, Daryl is not Suzaku, Inori is not C.C. Ayase is kinda like Kallen I guess but the wheelchair adds a different dimension.

As for going into Eva territory, again maybe some common points but still different. In Eva spoiler[a bunch of old dudes wanted to regress humanity into its original form so they could have a sort of artificial heaven] while in GC spoiler[the conciousness of the human desire to evolve wanted to use the virus to cull out the inferior and bring about the next stage of humanity.] So they're pretty much the exact opposite. And again, it's not like Evangelion invented the whole apocalypse thing.

Sure, sometimes you can't help but notice how one thing is like another, but remember to recognise the differences too.

Besides, when did it stop being legitimate to go "that person had a good idea that interests me, so I want to do my own take on it"?

So High School DxD finished rather triumphantly today. Much asskickery was behelded and plenty of smiles were given. It was a fun show that knew how to have a good time but also had some real emotional moments too. It definitely shouldn't be dismissed soley due to the fanservice (which was very excellent fanservice, I must add). A season 2 would be lovely.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Besides, when did it stop being legitimate to go "that person had a good idea that interests me, so I want to do my own take on it"?

Well, if it's an idea that's horribly overused (a.k.a. cliche), or if you take the original idea and do it wrong, or if the original idea you take is bad... You get the picture Very Happy

I think in this case you're completely right though, GC isn't really a carbon copy of anything. If anything, I'd say the Deus Ex (the game) influence seems stronger than either Geass or Eva. In the end though, I think the show isn't trying to copy anyone, it stands proudly to be mediocre/below average in its own right Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Well, if it's an idea that's horribly overused (a.k.a. cliche), or if you take the original idea and do it wrong, or if the original idea you take is bad... You get the picture Very Happy

Exactly: it all depends. Yet most people seem to go "It's an idea I've seen before! THIS SHOW IS DIRIVATIVE CRAP! WHY AREN'T THERE ANY NEW IDEAS?! ANIME IS DEAD!" etc, etc Rolling Eyes Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8