• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - The Killing Fields

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Chihayafuru - The double standard in the Queen qualifier tourney soured my love of this series a bit.
... specific points skipped ...
It all drives it home that it was just a plot device in a story, still a good story, but not without its tarnish.

Are you saying that things are never unfair? I agree that spoiler[Chihaya's opponent used questionable tactics and was helped unfairly by her sensei], but can you really say things like that don't happen in real life? It does make for a compelling storyline, but I don't see how it invalidates the story in any way.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:

I don't mean to imply that I want you to thoroughly talk about every big scene in the episode or spoil them for new viewers. But everything that happened in the past two episodes feels extremely glossed over...except Gon's arm. It's a pretty minor plot detail imo...the scene in question takes up a maximum of five minutes between two full-length episodes. There are very few lines of dialogue.

I completely understand with what you're saying, but I guess I just see it differently. To me, those minor plot details can make or break the flow of a series. Those big plot points will be there regardless-- that's in the original source material. But in the case of an adaptation, execution is far more important than content, IMO.

Quote:

You chalk it up to lazy writing, but I don't know if that's the case (especially since the entire scene didn't exist in the manga; it likely was added with purpose).

I guess this is where we disagree. You think there is director's intent, whereas I think it's possibly indicative of lazy writing. I have certainly been wrong on many counts before, and I could very be wrong on this one. I'd like to see how the rest of this arc plays out first.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Quote:
It may have started out a bit on the silly side, but it's since become one of the most consistently entertaining shows week after week

Kind of like Mirai Nikki, which you dropped prematurely.

I firmly believe that Another and Mirai Nikki are fundamentally different shows. The killing in Mirai Nikki was senseless and out of hand-- the killing in Another is as a result of frenzy and paranoia, which is a very human reaction. It's a psychological study, more so than Mirai Nikki ever was.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I completely understand with what you're saying, but I guess I just see it differently. To me, those minor plot details can make or break the flow of a series.

Hypocrisy much?

When I point out how Moretsu Pirates doesn't understand the physics of skirts in micro-gravity you mock me on the ANN podcast. But when you go on this huge tangent about some guy's arm rather than talking about the episodes themselves you try and justify it by saying the little things matter.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
some of the scenes are slowly veering into Final Destination territory.

Uh, it's been in Final Destination territory since that damn umbrella Laughing

Anyways, I think Mei understands that even if she told everyone who the Another was no one would listen to her. I think Kouichi's the only one who would believe her "my eye can see death" story.

On that note, man do I love seeing Mei and Kouichi together. I hope they hook up after the series.

Episode 11 really was all kinds of awesome. I've known who the Another was for a few months now but it's still a gripping ride. Because I know I pick up all the hints they keep dropping and it's really masterfully crafted.

Man, I just realised how many shows are ending next week. Guilty Crown, Papakiki, High School DxD, Another, Bleach, Beelzebub...

Anyways, my thoughts on some streamed stuff not covered in the article:

Guilty Crown really cranked up the awesome for the final arc. All sorts of crazy stuff has been going down and it's been a great ride. I hope with Thrusday's final episode it'll stick the landing.

High School DxD is pervy as hell, but damn it I'm not complaining! The girls are lovely in both looks and personality so all the nudity is a welcome sight. Even beyond that, the show is all kinds of fun. Issei's pervertedness is oddly endearing and when he heads into battle he puts his Boosted Gear to great use in some cool ways. It's not high class cusine but eating a nice greesey burger isn't bad now and then.

Symphogear is pretty underrated if you ask me. Sure, it's clear all the animation budget went to Space Pirates and Aquarion, and it is kind of silly but the characters are endearing and the fights are pretty good. Won't knock your socks off but I find myself really liking it.

Gundam AGE is chuggin' along pretty well. I'm liking the 2nd gen a lot more than the first and the AGE-2 is pretty sweet. It's interesting to see the dynamic between a former Gundam protagonist and his son. Having such a great dad is really weighing on Asemu's shoulders.

Inu X Boku SS is still the same as always. I still get some good laughs out of it, though, and Karuta saying "Peking Duck!" is so hnnnnnnnnnnnnrg.

Nisemonogatari already ended and it was an okay ending. I'm sure they'll make more. I have a thing for little sister characters so having Karen and Tsukihi have focal roles was great. Though it's a shame Tsukihi barely had any presence in her own arc. The visuals were nice to look at while listening to all the talking and there were a lot of sensual scenes. I'm sure everyone knows about the infamous tooth brushing scene by now.

Recorder and Randsell continues to be an enjoyable 3 minute effort. Though having the punchline of every episode being "Atsuhi is mistaken for a molester" is getting old.

Sket Dance: The Happy [re]Birthday arc was amazingly touching. For being mostly a comedy series it really knows how to throw the emotional punches.

Awesome shows everyone should be watching even if they aren't streaming: Aquarion Evol and Daily Lives of High School Boys.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Anyways, I think Mei understands that even if she told everyone who the Another was no one would listen to her. I think Kouichi's the only one who would believe her "my eye can see death" story.

As I mentioned in the discussion thread, it doesn't stop her from killing the dead person herself. I know I would have killed the dead person if I knew who it was, because unlike Mei I have actually have a heart and can act in self-defence to protect my friends and family.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
As I mentioned in the discussion thread, it doesn't stop her from killing the dead person herself. I know I would have killed the dead person if I knew who it was, because unlike Mei I have actually have a heart and can act in self-defence to protect my friends and family.

That's precisely what she left to do at the end of episode 11.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

That's precisely what she left to do at the end of episode 11.

spoiler[And how many of her classmates did she calmly watch die in increasingly gruesome deaths before she decided to act? Lots. And why is she only acting now? Because her boyfriend got hurt a little. She's a horrible b*tch and I can only pray she gets the epic disembowelment she deserves.]
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
I completely understand with what you're saying, but I guess I just see it differently. To me, those minor plot details can make or break the flow of a series.

Hypocrisy much?

When I point out how Moretsu Pirates doesn't understand the physics of skirts in micro-gravity you mock me on the ANN podcast. But when you go on this huge tangent about some guy's arm rather than talking about the episodes themselves you try and justify it by saying the little things matter.

I don't think that hypocritical at all. Gon's arm magically healing without them showing him even examining it is lazy writing. Skirts not floating in micro-gravity is just them wanting to draw characters with skirts (marketable) without the girls flashing their panties (chaste).

They are not related. One is a pacing issue, the other is some triviality that has no bearing on the series.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

Hypocrisy much?

No because A) it's an actual scene that is shown repeatedly taking up about a minute of time. B) it is not something that 90% of people consider to be covered under suspension of disbelief and C) they aren't going on about it for 5 pages, and other people do have an actual problem with it. BTW I am giving to shows the oreimo award this season Bodacious space pirates and listen to me girls I am your father.

P.S. Bamboo I agree that scene is problematic but there was a lot of good points to that episode (let alone episode 22) that you seemed to completely ignore. I realize you do not have much space per series but HxH has been rather harshly graded for a few weeks now when there are not as many problems as higher rated series (ano natsu). I also don't understand why another is rated higher then space pirates, when you say that space pirates was amazing and you watched it twice (good choice btw), and another is still at times irritating.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I don't think that hypocritical at all. Gon's arm magically healing without them showing him even examining it is lazy writing. Skirts not floating in micro-gravity is just them wanting to draw characters with skirts (marketable) without the girls flashing their panties (chaste).

They are not related. One is a pacing issue, the other is some triviality that has no bearing on the series.

First of all, it wasn't just that the skirts didn't float, but that there were even skirts in the first place.

Secondly, you state that Science Fiction fandom is the best kind of fandom, but you do not seem to have any grasp of - or love for - the "Science" half of that pairing. Moretsu Pirates not doing skirts right is a little thing but it shows that the creators don't understand physics and technical matters. So it is no wonder that you, a person who doesn't care about science and realism, would like a show that also struggles with the sort of physics that students are taught in their mid-teens.

The show spends so much time and effort trying to portray a realistic setting yet the writers can't even get the basics down correctly. They don't even know what aerobraking is for heaven's sakes; you do not use aerobraking for re-entry but to insert yourself into an orbit. And the writers actually think it is something quite impressive to do with futuristic technology. Never mind that with our current technology it isn't that hard; probes have done it many times since the start of the space race. A trip to Wikipedia would have told them that.

So yeah, skirts in space is just one example of the lazy writing by ignorant writers found in the show that breaks my suspension of disbelief. It isn't a triviality.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

However, Another becoming silly? The latest episode 11 was probably my favorite so far in the series. The first couple of episodes were psychological that allowed the viewers to form theories on the events and pieces puzzle together to solve the main plot.

I think my main problem with this series is that i'm not emotionally involved at all, so the plot holes and lack of logic bother me twice as much.

Usually you have at least one character in shows like this whom you care about and pray they won't die, there's not anyone like that for me in Another. Misaki is one of those cute but emotionless girls which seem to be very popular for some reason, but why should i care about her if she doesn'r seem to care much about anything herself? As for the protagonist, i think the most positive way to describe him would be 'bland'.

Sure, some of the deaths were gruesome and shocking, but not 'this really grips me emotionally' shocking but more like 'reading about some stranger's horrible death in the newspaper' shocking...
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

First of all, it wasn't just that the skirts didn't float, but that there were even skirts in the first place.

Secondly, you state that Science Fiction fandom is the best kind of fandom, but you do not seem to have any grasp of - or love for - the "Science" half of that pairing. Moretsu Pirates not doing skirts right is a little thing but it shows that the creators don't understand physics and technical matters. So it is no wonder that you, a person who doesn't care about science and realism, would like a show that also struggles with the sort of physics that students are taught in their mid-teens.

The show spends so much time and effort trying to portray a realistic setting yet the writers can't even get the basics down correctly. They don't even know what aerobraking is for heaven's sakes; you do not use aerobraking for re-entry but to insert yourself into an orbit. And the writers actually think it is something quite impressive to do with futuristic technology. Never mind that with our current technology it isn't that hard; probes have done it many times since the start of the space race. A trip to Wikipedia would have told them that.

So yeah, skirts in space is just one example of the lazy writing by ignorant writers found in the show that breaks my suspension of disbelief. It isn't a triviality.

so you admit to having little suspension of disbelief also the email thing was what she was talking not the probes also the scenes in episode 11 are universally acclaimed, and yet you can't be at all happy about it seems.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
so you admit to having little suspension of disbelief...

I never said that or even implied it. If that's your interpretation of what I wrote then fine, but do not maliciously claim that I admitted it when I clearly did not.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
also the email thing was what she was talking not the probes also the scenes in episode 11 are universally acclaimed, and yet you can't be at all happy about it seems.

I dropped the show after episode seven. Episode six was god-awful with the raiding of the passenger liner and episode seven had the blonde-Loli princess. The show ended up being such a chore to watch that I actually did the dishes in order to avoid watching episode eight one night. It was at that point I knew I had to drop it right then and there.
Etrien

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Quote:
It may have started out a bit on the silly side, but it's since become one of the most consistently entertaining shows week after week

Kind of like Mirai Nikki, which you dropped prematurely.

I was usually on the same page regarding Mirai Nikki as Bamboo was - delighted in the beginning, grew tired of it at the around the same time - except that I never dropped it. And now, thanks to that, I'll have the joy of finishing what has turned into one of the absolute worst shows I've ever watched. I think Bamboo was the smarter one here. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8