• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yamato, Macross Director Noboru Ishiguro Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rheinhard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
In addition to the inevitable discussion of the man's many estimable contributions to anime, I would also like to add the personal note in remembrance of just what a wonderful, genteel, unassuming and generous man he was. He always seemed very happy to meet fans and never seemed too busy or too important to take a moment to chat with the regular folks.

A perfect example was my encounter with him at the studio he founded, Artland, in Tokyo in December 2010 (which I wrote about in this article for starblazers.com). I accompanied Tim Eldred on his "Yamato Tour" to see the premiere of the live action Space Battleship Yamato movie in Japan, and in planning the trip I contacted as many friends as I could who lived in Japan to try and meet up. Hiromi Hasegawa, former Anime Expo staffer, suggested I contact Mr. Ishiguro and ask to visit his studio. This is an idea which never would have occurred to me on my own. I got in touch with his American translator (and now AX con chair) Takayuki Karahashi to inquire about this, and the response came back basically, "Sure! Feel free to visit after the movie premiere!" No "we're too busy/too important to meet with fans at the workplace", as one might expect from some more pretentious folks. Ardith Carlton and I had a wonderful visit, tour of the production offices, and an extended chat about all sorts of things from Yamato to the future of the anime industry.

A few years earlier, in 2007, I accidentally caused a chain of events that got him invited as a Guest of Honor at Anime Weekend Atlanta. I had been discussing the idea of an animation studio panel with con chair emeritus Dave Merrill and had suggested talking about Artland. To support this idea I had contacted Taka to inquire whether he might be able to ask Mr. Ishiguro if they had any informational or promotional material about the studio they would be willing to give me for the panel. Taka relayed the response that Ishiguro didn't think they had much which would be of use to me, but inquired whether the con would be interested in having him as a guest? Just right out of the blue! Not being on staff, I relayed this question to Dave (while in something of an astonished frenzy), who forwarded it to the con department heads saying "We should move on this with all deliberate speed and power!" In short order Ishiguro's visit was arranged. And not only did he bring himself and his wealth of anecdotes and history, but two large books of animation cels from the Artland archives to simply give away to anyone at his panels who might want them! (And he was also kind enough to bring a gorgeous cel of the flagship Brunhild from Legend of the Galactic Heroes, with the painted background as it takes off from planet Odin, as an unexpected personal gift to me!) How many con guests would do something like that these days??

In memoriam, here is the introductory video I threw together about him for AWA 2007.
darkninjawill
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. Noboru Ishiguro. I still remember being so entranced the first time I watched SDF Macross and feeling like "This is what anime is about". He will never be forgotten.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
RIP Ishiguro san. His works have entertained generations before and will continue to entertain generations to come as well. Macross, Yamato, Megazone23, Orguss and other great works that you were involved with are all ageless classics to me.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
RIP Sensei.

Noboru Ishiguro was a true pioneer and a great director. So many important figures in anime gained valuable experience working with him (Hideaki Anno, Shoji Kawamori, Ichiro Itano amongst others), He will be sorely missed.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Gone, but not forgotten Crying or Very sad
pat_payne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
This news bums me out. I had the pleasure of getting to meet Noburo Ishiguro at AX 2007, and he struck me as a kindly and decent person.

He is living on, though, in the works he leaves behind.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I literally screamed "NOOOO!" at my computer when I saw this sad news.

Mr. Ishiguro was something of a mainstay at Anime Expo for many years. Nobody who attended the opening ceremonies at AX 2001 will ever forget his video tour of Artland Studios.

After speaking, he would hold up a sign that said "TRANSLATE." Each time he did this, the audience cheered louder. When Ishiguro finally arrived at Anime Expo that year, hundreds of fans were holding signs that said "TRANSLATE." One of the many ways he brought joy to all of us who knew him.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Sad news, indeed. His work has touched a lot of people, myself included. Not only has he left a legacy of admired work, but also much admiration from his fans as a human being. He will be missed.
shukero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Incredibly sad indeed. Rest in peace.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Ishiguro-san's passing leaves me quite saddened.

Thank you, sir, for bringing us such wonderful stories. Your presence in the anime world will be sorely missed. May you rest in peace, you certainly have earned it!
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Mr. Ishiguro, for giving us so many good things.

For me, Macross DYRL is the single greatest anime in all of forever, and I will remember him from now on while watching.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Ted_the_bear2001 wrote:
I need to watch more of his stuff. He seemed to be such a pioneer of 80s anime, sad to see him go.

Pioneer and genius director I might add.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the many things you did in your great career, Noboru Ishiguro, and especially for my most favourite anime series of all time: Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

May you rest in peace, anyway a legend as you will never be forgotten... I'm still sad, though. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:40 am Reply with quote
I hope that at least some of his other works that didn't get a US release before will get licensed or the Japanese release will include English sub so that more people can keep a memento of his works.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
This is very sad to hear, I'm currently watching Macross on Hulu (alongside Robotech on Youtube side by side). My heart goes out to his family, RIP. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4