• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV, FUNimation, Geneon form joint venture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I hate to think what "FUNneon Visions" would sound like pronounced in japanese. Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quote
from what i heard on another website, this is a joint venture in only one aspect - children's programming. I don't believe that they will become one large company

frankly, i don't think i'd like them as one big company. I'd hate there to be a 'walmart' of the anime industry. Really messes everyone else over afterawhile. It is nice to see some of this, but i don't want them over doing it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this means that FUNi will work together with ADV on the Anime Network, while continuing to aim shows at the larger audience on CN, rather than cannibalize each other's share of the same limited niche audience by setting up two competing anime channels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote
So what now? ADV's low prices, Funimations Japanese text source material for credit and good subtitle translations with Geneons great production values?

Or will this mean we can expect ADV's bad promos and mediocore dubs, Funimations kid targeted audience in a Geneon Signature Series case?
Zack26
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
from what i heard on another website, this is a joint venture in only one aspect - children's programming. I don't believe that they will become one large company

frankly, i don't think i'd like them as one big company. I'd hate there to be a 'walmart' of the anime industry. Really messes everyone else over afterawhile. It is nice to see some of this, but i don't want them over doing it.

Well, this could go either way. Like one thing you know that they might succeed then another while they'll start to fail. I guess time'll tell on how successfull this merge will be ne?
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
And the updated press release tells us..... nothing.

yes, I'd like to buy a clue here... Rolling Eyes
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is actually great news, at least for the Animenetwork like people have mentioned. More companies in on it mean more funding for the channel, which means it'll be even more likely to get more common, and... *grin* they no longer have to depend on ADV's shoujo list for their shoujo anime block on the anime channel.
manafairy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
Wait a minute, what if they're... *gasp*.. trying to license Naruto!? Shocked

That... actually came immediately to mind. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop But it sounds like they're actually looking to make their own stuff.

That was my first thought as well Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

I sounded so much like a possibilty when I read the part about "high quality entertainment series primarily targeted to children and young adults" but then I noticed the word "developing" and it instantly dashed my hopes.

Drat, so close....
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't really see the point. It's tough enough for a bigger company like 4Kids to get ad revenue and airtime. So what will those three be able to offer, in terms of content? I mean look at MS. The company has a lot of money, but it's not very good at creating a popular system or providing decent games. Plus ADV's stretched too thin already with its numerous subdivisions, forcing FUNimation and Geneon to provide most of the resources. And FUNimation's currently trying to keep Conan afloat. All in all, I consider the venture a huge risk with a minimal return, and I'm wondering if it could be a response to a declining anime market in Japan.

Thats a very good point. It should be interesting to see what happens to the market in the future.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:

Yeah, I bet this press release was drafted by the same person who writes the vague press releases about the progress of the live-action Evangelion film idea.

Oh boy! They used the word "synergy" in this press release! I bet that, next time, they'll use "paradigm". Or "proactive". Bingo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strategos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I'd get excited except for the fact that the PR said something to the effect of anime aimed at "children and young adults", which has nothing to do with me.
Exinex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
beelzebozo wrote:

Yeah, I bet this press release was drafted by the same person who writes the vague press releases about the progress of the live-action Evangelion film idea.

Oh boy! They used the word "synergy" in this press release! I bet that, next time, they'll use "paradigm". Or "proactive". Bingo!

Rofl, we were just discussing Buzzward Bingo in my management class today. It really is funny to see how many times these words are used by big company representatives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I think this has something to do with the programming on the Anime Network and an agreement of free enterprise between voice actors like Japan does only without making new unions to make it so (of course this is probably old news as it's already happened).

I think joint-venture has been confused with merger. A joint venture is when two companies make an agreement to colaborate on a business plan exchanging ideas while keeping profits separately (for example, Panasonic/Matsushita's technology is integrated into Nintendo's GameCube but it is still a separate company), a merger is when one or more companies become a part of the company with more money and properties of one company are now affiliated with another (for example, Star Ocean is credited to Square as well as Enix nowadays just as Final Fantasy would be credited to Enix as well as Square).

At least that's how I'd see it, I'm not that good at business terminology so I may have some holes in my statement. Whatever the case I think all three companies are merely exchanging ideas and other assets for the benefit of each other. So I don't think this means Geneon or ADV will now be a subsidary of Funimation or the other ways around. Even if such were not the case I think it's good news as someone who'd like to see more "diverse" dubs so to speak.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The more I think this merge the less I like it. I just don't think it's a good idea. If there's one thing that Funimation is good at it's overdoing franchises or just plain ruining them. ADV is also one of my least favorite distributors because they have this bad habit of producing either really good dubs or just crap and nothing in between. Geneon is the least flawed of all of these companies and I hate to see it go down because of flaws from these other companies.
DCRavenX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a good idea to point out that it was a press release not an article, so they don't have to confirm weather Funimation is bigger than Bandai, they can just say it. It is a good fact to put into an article or TV/Radio copy, but it is something that would have to be confirmed by a reporter. It is interesting but it isn't a confirmed fact. Unless someone at ANN has confirmed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5