• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The best short anime films...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knoidez

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys!
I'm trying to put together a block of anime for our short film festival up here in Norway, and I'm wondering: What short anime films are the best?
Personally I like Voices of a Distant Star, all of the Memories films, Blood: The Last Vampire and She and Her Cat. But is that all there is?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote
If you don't mind showing really violent stuff then Kite (which clocks in at around 45 minutes for the "regular" version) is a strong choice. The longer hentai version (which adds about 10 minutes of extra and expanded scenes) is better, but probably not appropriate for a film festival.

Biohunter clocks in at around 50 minutes, though I find that one to be very run-of-the-mill in quality. It's also quite graphic. Same with Psycho Diver - Soul Siren.

Black Magic M-66 is an older (mid-80s) sci-fi selection that also runs around 50 minutes. It's not bad and most notable for being one of Masamune Shirow's earliest projects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
well, i personally like Voices and she and her cat.

but you already know those...

Kite isnt that bad exept there are nudie scenes. wich might make it ....inapropriot.
Royal78

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood the Last Vampire was a great film. It was like 35 minutes or something, but it is really good, so check it out.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Kite is terrible. And this is coming from someone who considers Salo to be one of the greatest movies of all time...

Mt. Head - This is a wonderful short film about a miser who eats cherry pits because he doesn't want to waste anything, and a tree sprouts on top of his head. And for what it's worth (I personally loathe the Academy), it was nominated for an Oscar a couple years ago.

Noiseman Sound Insect - I can't really do justice to this one, but This site say's it's "Like all six episodes of FLCL compressed into one fifteen minute short, with an art style that's been described as 'Tim Burton does Dr. Seuss.'" Yup. By the same guy who did Magnetic Rose (Memories) and Beyond (The Animatrix).

Comedy - It's about an Irish mercernary who only accepts books as payment. Better than it sounds. Hell, if it's a short film that was made by Studio 4°C, it'll be good (they also did Noiseman and Memories).

Some other short anime that I can't vouch for, but is probably worth tracking down - Nasu: The Summer of Andalusia, Pictures at an Exhibition, Neo-Tokyo, Robot Carnival, Take the X Train, and Cat Soup.

Also, if you aren't too picky about the country, there's The Letter, which is my Favoritist Animated Short in All the World, but nobody cares about Korean animation. Or Onuri, which I haven't seen, but is by the director of My Beautiful Girl Mari, which is my Favoritist Animated Movie in All the World. Korean animation rocks, people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:45 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Korean animation rocks, people.

In that case, I suggest Doggy Poo. It's a simple movie for little kids about how everyone can find their own place in life despite the apparent obstacles in one's way. And the closing song is really fun!

Also, Kai Doh Maru seems to rate OK as kind of a companion piece to Blood. Haven't seen it myself, but I liked the mood of Blood so maybe a slightly different less well-known take on the genre might be worth looking in to.

I like Spring And Chaos, but perhaps the work loses effect if you haven't seen the much longer Night On The Galactic Railroad first. Spring and Chaos has that slightly surreal cat-thing applied to it, but the story of a gentle poet (Kenji MIYAZAWA, the author of Night On The Galactic Railroad) trying to live as an idealistic farmer despite his more materialistic father's complaints, can be rather touching.

For light relief, there's Miyuki-chan in Wonderland Laughing Scantily-clad fairies tease a young girl? Eh, why not?

Last edited by mrgazpacho on Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Maclam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:00 am Reply with quote
Voice of the distant stars was one of my favorite.... short but very touching movie

Kai Doh Maru... this is actually too short Smile i mean i would have like it to be a little longer and give us more detail

Vampire hunter D (bloodlust) was great too.... very nice graphic and the story is captivating
NetDiver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:24 am Reply with quote
Mezzo Forte is another good piece. Originally a two part OVA. From the same guys who did Kite and Mezzo tv-series, which is a sequal to Mezzo Forte. Like Kite, Mezzo Forte has two versions on the market. One with hentai scenes and one without. Mezzo Forte focuses on comedy, where Kite focuses on drama. I've seen both versions of Mezzo Forte and I think the uncut version is better. The cut version has it's merits as your not distracted by the hentai scenes, so you can focus on the nicely unfolding plot. Running time for the uncut version is around 50min and the cut version is around 45min.

URDA: Third Reich is a quite new release. It consists of five 5min episodes. Pretty nice animation as it's done fully with 3D CGI. Not that great of a story but refreshingly different.

Dead Leaves is possibly one of the coolest animes I've seen in long time. It has a very different animation style, great music and pretty nice characters (reminds me of FLCL). I'd expect nothing less from Production IG. Definitelly a must see Wink! Running time around 50min.

There are a few titles. Btw, it would be nice if you could give us more info on the upcoming festival. Like, what kind of audience is attending? Is it big or small? Part of a bigger film festival?

And Key, in my opinion film festivals exist for films that are not mainstream or are otherwise rarely shown in theaters.

Last edited by NetDiver on Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:36 am Reply with quote
I agree with all the choices Key had mentioned but i would include Twilight of the Dark Master and Golgo 13: Queen Bee in the mix as well.

Quote:
Mezzo Forte is another good piece. Originally a two part OVA. From the same guys who did Kite and Mezzo tv-series, which is a sequal to Mezzo Forte. Like Kite, Mezzo Forte has two versions on the market. One with hentai scenes and one without. Mezzo Forte focuses on comedy, where Kite focuses on drama. I've seen both versions of Mezzo Forte and I think the uncut version is better. The cut version has it's merits as your not distracted by the hentai scenes, so you can focus on the nicley unfolding plot.
Yeah, Mezzo was a "good piece". Laughing (pun intended) What's ironic is that Mezzo Forte could have been a much better OVA without the graphic hentai scenes (scenes that will make Kite look like Kiddy grade Anime smile + sweatdrop ) where Kite had that dark atmosphere,Mezzo was more of a dark comedy. Umetsu has great potential if he could avoid most of the fan service BS.nonetheless I'm still looking forward to the new Mezzo series this month. Cool
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Dead Leaves kicks ass. it's from the makers of FLCL and you should see it at least once.

Riding Bean is also a classic.
ReIN-Karnated@042

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Arrow
Now that was pretty wicked!!

I would suggest some that aren't that cool but still rocks if you like the drawings and stuff like that ( but get me wrong a story line is also Cool )

Read or Die, Shadow Skill (alright),Battle Angel, Riding Bean (of course), Black jack (I think that is a short Anmie film, but still brilliant), SPRIGGAN(I think it is about 90mins but that is 9/10 for me), if you know about DBZ then their films are pretty short and I think thats all I can think of now Confused )
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:31 pm Reply with quote
ReIN-Karnated@042 wrote:
Quote:
Read or Die, Shadow Skill (alright),Battle Angel

he's looking for short films, not OAVs
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Friendly message from your local moderator:

If any thread asks you for your best/favorite/least favorite/etc something, and you just put down your response without an explanation-- guess what? It constitutes as a "list" response. If you read the Rules & Announcements forum, you'll see that it has a post regarding that.

Don't make me say it again.

Either give explanations for your choices, or your post will be deleted. No one wants to hear "Show Dead Leaves because it's cool!!" without a reason. That doesn't tell them anything about the film. Follow the rules. 3 strikes and you're banned.

Even if the OP doesn't ask for an explanation, the moderators are asking for one.
manuverse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Blood the Last Vampire is a good short film. Its pretty innovative too. (I still wonder if the backgrounds where live action or just some really well done CG).
dozi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I know that I am probobly the only one going to say this but I think you should show either or both of the Love Hina Movies.

They are great for comedy and easy to get into without much complex stories lines make it hard to understand. And you can show it to all ages not just people that are over 15 like Blood: the last Vampire.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3