• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation to Distribute Gungrave Anime for Geneon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
lheiskell wrote:
Sakaki wrote:
Wow...so Tomorrow's the last one...which will it be? SE? Eva? Although I don't have feelings on either one, it's still gonna be something that I won't miss.

Also...is Gungrave any good? I've heard of it but never seen it I'm afraid...

Last of the countdown.

Who's to say we don't have another countdown real soon afterwords? It's not like we stop acquiring shows.

For US Nielsen VideoScan sales, Gungrave is in the Top 25 of all anime series in regards to DVD sales 2000-to date.

Lance

Santa's hangover helper and FUNimation "on vacation" guy

Well that countdown better not be an overblown pile of crap like this one was. I'm sure some people were pleased by the rescues, but we want new stuff as a priority. Not to put them down, but Nabari no Ou and Oh! Edo Rocket weren't exactly huge shows either in fanbase.

Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry

Even if they announced something like Soul Eater, there would be hawing and humming because no show is everybody's cup of tea, not even Evangelion. I heard Nabari no Ou is pretty good, so I'll probably check it out. I didn't download it because I was already watching more shows than I probably should have.

Though, unless we get both Soul Eater and Evangelion tomorrow, someone is going to have to explain to me what the clue we thought were for whichever show we don't get was actually for, cause I can't figure it out.

And here I thought for a while people were clamoring for Geneon rescues and now people are complaining over them? Can't please everyone, I guess.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping for Eva. But something is telling me it is too good to be true. Rolling Eyes
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
To the guy who posted about having another countdown, assuming you're actually a FUNi rep: um...that's nice that Gungrave sold so well, but old shows are nothing to get THAT excited over, even if this means some of them will be affordable to people who missed them the first time around. Was it really worth making some big fanfare-filled countdown if all we're getting is repackaged Gonzo/Geneon stuff for the most part?
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
[quote="walw6pK4Alo"]
lheiskell wrote:

Well that countdown better not be an overblown pile of crap like this one was. I'm sure some people were pleased by the rescues, but we want new stuff as a priority.

Noted. Again, your idea of crap is another person's treasure. It's all depends on what type of shows you like. Everone has a different mix.

Timing on contracts for new shows add a few wrinkles into the mix with announcing. Rescue licenses are an easier contract - hence faster announcement and delivery on DVD release dates.

We've got a full year lined up. Don't worry about that.

Lance
FUNimation late night owl
<hoot>

</hoot>
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
Gungrave is an awesome series. It's one of Madhouse's best shows and it's a series that everybody should watch in its entirety. Yasuhiro Nightow's art in the show is incredible, surpassing the Trigun anime in my opinion.

I'm glad that Funi is finally re-releasing it in a more affordable and accessible manner. The original Geneon releases are increasingly rarer and the sets can be pretty pricey on Ebay and such. Hopefully they re-release the entire series in one set, a la Ergo Proxy and Fate/Stay Night.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
The supposed Soul Eater clue always was rather on the obtuse side. I am curious what it's supposed to be in reference to, though.

The Eva clue was waaaaaay too obvious, and I always thought it was fairly self-evident that if it was going to be in this batch of announcements it would be last. It would be a New Years Eva announcement after all. :p

And as for people blaming FUNi for "overhyping" their announcements, it's you people who got yourselves irrationally worked up. Did you SERIOUSLY think they were going to have 10 brand new big time A-list licenses to announce? I mean...a little common sense, people. Oh! Edo Rocket is a great and decidedly underappreciated series. Nabari no Ou will fill a decent niche. Slayers has become sort of their "thing" over the last couple years. A majority of their license rescues from Geneon have been great pickups (though still missing a lot of really important stuff like Champloo, Paranoia Agent, and Trigun). And if they are indeed announcing Eva 1.0 tomorrow, that is an absolutely HUGE license for them and for the industry in general. Hell, they could give the sort of hype they've given for this whole event just to an Eva announcement alone and it would probably be justified. And I don't even like Eva in the slightest bit.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
To the guy who posted about having another countdown, assuming you're actually a FUNi rep: um...that's nice that Gungrave sold so well, but old shows are nothing to get THAT excited over, even if this means some of them will be affordable to people who missed them the first time around. Was it really worth making some big fanfare-filled countdown if all we're getting is repackaged Gonzo/Geneon stuff for the most part?

[points to avatar title "Company Representative"]

Yes.

For months people wanted more Geneon back-catalog titles well....back.

Tah-dah!

I think that is cause for celebration.

Lance
FUNimation's dude who answers other dude's questions on message boards.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Not to put them down

Your entire schtick is "spoiled, comically self-interested and bizarrely proud of it fanboy" so I'm not sure why you include caveats like this. You are obviously trying to be a bit condescending about the whole thing.

We get it, you're only interested in things that directly benefit you in some fashion without any sort of contribution from you in any way whatsoever. You can so you will, yadda yadda.

Do you ever get tired of playing this particular character? Or is this who you actually are?

Because if that's actually who you are, that's kind of sad, man.

Kinda sad.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:

Did you SERIOUSLY think they were going to have 10 brand new big time A-list licenses to announce?

I didn't expect 10 brand new, big time A-list titles. However, I expected 10 brand new titles... "New Show A Go-Go". Instead we get a bunch of has-beens, a sequel to a property that has limited appeal (since it didn't stand the test of time) and 2 new ones... I expected Moyashimon, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Spice and Wolf, Seto no Hanayome(which I'd give my left leg for) and the list of possibilities goes on to which I'd buy.

Last edited by Sarkozy on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
Gungrave was good from the 2 episodes I saw of it so this is fine with me but I just want Eva 1.0 tomorrow. I didn't really care for Soul Eater so Eva 1.0 looks a lot better to me.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

[points to avatar title "Company Representative"]

Yes.

For months people wanted more Geneon back-catalog titles well....back.

Tah-dah!

I think that is cause for celebration.

Lance
FUNimation's dude who answers other dude's questions on message boards.

*lol* You know Lance, I have to commend you on your sense of humor in putting up with rabble like us. Razz

Now, time for FUNimation to bring back Hand Maid May. Wink
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
MetatronM wrote:

Did you SERIOUSLY think they were going to have 10 brand new big time A-list licenses to announce?

I didn't expect 10 brand new, big time A-list titles. However, I expected 10 brand new titles... "New Show A Go-Go". Instead we get a bunch of has-beens, a sequel to a property that has limited appeal (since it didn't stand the test of time) and 2 new ones... I expected Moyashimon, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Spice and Wolf, Seto no Hanayome(which I'd give my left leg for) and the list of possibilities goes on to which I'd buy.

I chuckled that you brought up Spice and Wolf...given that it has already been licensed and thus wouldn't even be "new" by your own definition. But these are "new," at least to Funimation.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
Sarkozy wrote:
MetatronM wrote:

I chuckled that you brought up Spice and Wolf...given that it has already been licensed and thus wouldn't even be "new" by your own definition. But these are "new," at least to Funimation.

It was licensed, but no distributor, and it's still a 2008 anime along with Slayers, Soul Eater, and Nabari no Ou. Oh! Edo Rocket is a bit older, as with Eva 1.0. Slayers is the most fresh one that's finished, and Soul Eater's still going.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

*lol* You know Lance, I have to commend you on your sense of humor in putting up with rabble like us. Razz

jinxworld.com, newsarama.com, ifanboy.com and comicbookresources.com message boards are my comic book geekery of fandom.

The level of decorum for anime and comic book forums are very similar.

Lance
FUNimation's rabble rouser and poster of preposterous prose, pun-ditry and sometimes antiquated alliteration.
Maruna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
Gungrave? Err... Yay? Not quite what I, nor anyone, was expecting. A great show, but like many others have said, it's a great old show. Nothing to really get excited about.

Well, I guess Soul Eater is out of the question now, which is a bit of a punch to the ribs, because I've really wanted to see it. Eva is cool, and all, that's just a single movie. A single night. Soul Eater would have taken up a nice, big chunk of time.

P.S. Lance: Can I have your job? Official forum-dude? That's literally, my dream job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8