• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you own any untranslated novels?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
I own, but still lack the ability to read, all of the original light novels that make up The Most Irresponsible Man in Space(known as The Irresponsible Captain Tylor in the States) by Hitoshi Yoshioka as well as the Record of the Delfinian War light novel series by Kayata Sunako.

Anyone else gaga enough for something that you collected the original Japanese language novels of it? It doesn't matter if you can read it or not, just respond if you have collected them.
ajr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the japanese version of Spice and Wolf; I've also got the English translation by Yen Press and have been meaning to try comparing the two when I get the time. I really admired the dialogue between Holo and Kraft Lawrence (esp. in the anime), so I thought it would be interesting look at the original. Granted, I don't really read japanese yet, so maybe I wasted $15, but I look forward to it nonetheless. Oh, and my sister bought me the latest Haruhi novel when she visited Japan (though she's not really into anime), so maybe someday I'll work my way through to the point to take a look at that as well. If Yen Press or someone doesn't scoot the Durarara novels over here, I might take a crack at those too.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Sweet
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
I do own all of the available novels of Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai and I'm currently in the middle of buying Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai.

Both series I love dearly right now...so it's nice to own the original source material and show support (doesn't hurt that both novels are illustrated by two great artists). There are probably other novels I need to pick up for franchises I really enjoyed.
Beaux10

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't speak or read Japanese as of yet, but I am planning on tracking down the original Kino's Journey novels. It's a shame that only the first was ever released in the West...
ridiculus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:31 am Reply with quote
I haven't purchased Japanese books yet (only magazines and comics) because my knowledge is limited to several hundred kanji, but I am planning to, as part of my study of Japanese language.

Kino no tabi would be one of my top 5 choices. But I'll probably turn to Ono's Twelve Kingdoms first, because there is a beautiful perfect edition now. And then, maybe Otsuichi's The Book: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 4th Another Day, because I have almost collected the whole fourth part of JoJo and this book is generally considered good by JoJo fans (contrary to some other JoJo books, especially the last one, Jorge Joestar by Maijou Outarou).
Mits

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
ridiculus wrote:
But I'll probably turn to Ono's Twelve Kingdoms first, because there is a beautiful perfect edition now.

As a first try to read Japanese book in the original language, I don’t think Twelve Kingdoms a good choice. In Twelve Kingdoms, very difficult usage of kanji appears here and there. This is because Twelve Kingdoms is set on the fantasy world that is based on ancient or medieval China. As you know, China is the place where kanji came from. Japanese writers often intentionally use difficult kanji to express China-ish atmosphere. If your knowledge of kanji is limited, you’d better skip Twelve Kingdoms at a first time. My recommendation is sci-fi or Western-style (swords and magic type) fantasy series.
ridiculus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for your kind advice, but, as you can clearly see from the Twelve Kingdoms thread, I am fully aware of the complexity of the vocabulary which Ono has used. I know there are much easier books for reading, and I would turn first to the children literature if accessibility were my primary criterion.

Even if the task proves too difficult, the books will stay on my shelves waiting for the time when my Japanese is good enough.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I did buy a copy of The Weathering Continent but it was for a friend who actually knows Japanese. Hopefully he will enjoy it.

Other then that I have a script book for the 1985 Night on the Galactic Railroad movie. Now if I could just get a copy on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hpulley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
I love light novels! I learned Japanese originally so I could read the genbun of the Ganmu / Gun Dream / Battle Angel manga by Kishiro Yukito because the Viz translations went overboard IMO. My first visual novel purchase was an accident: it was a visual novel adaptation of Ganmu.

Recently I have bought the Minisuka Uchuu Kaizoku / Miniskirt Space Pirates 1-8, Kokoro Connect Hito Random to (coming next week) Asu Random first part, Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai 1-9 light novels and they are really good. I bought the manga adaptations of Kokoro Connect and Dakara Boku wa too. I don't think more than the first Kokoro Connect novel has been translated that I could find on baka tsuki.
cards344

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Accel World and found all 12 volumes of the light novels on Ebay for $100 so i grabbed them. I cant read them, but i like the artwork in them.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
I've got a small mountain of untranslated novels. I read mostly science fiction, fantasy, and young adult (along with the occasional mystery), but not too many light novels. While I rather like the *idea* of light novels, I really don't like what they so often turn into. Most of the ones I enjoy predate the term (Record of Lodoss War; 12 Kingdoms; Patlabor novels).

For a bad example, take the "Iriya's Sky, UFO Summer" books: despite the fact that the writing itself is quite witty and well-done, that series exemplifies everything I think is wrong with light novels: over-the-top cartoonish behavior, tsundere- and moe-type female characters, incredibly weak male leads that you just want to hit, pointless padding out of the story. This story could have easily been written in one volume instead of four and been better for it--I don't need 80 pages devoted to two schoolgirls having an eating contest.

But my tastes aren't everyone's, I know. I got into anime in the 1980s because I was an SF fan first and foremost, and series like Macross and Yamato were the only things I'd ever seen at that point that "felt like" reading a big SF novel. By the time I grew up and learned Japanese, the Japanese entertainment complex had changed dramatically, producing much less of the kind of thing I wanted. Fortunately, Japan is also home to a thriving SF community. So in a way, I've come full circle: from SF books to SF anime and now to Japanese SF books.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I had several untranslated texts for Japanese class in college, but I'm guessing that's not really what you guys were asking. I have a doujinshi light novel based around Ruoroni Kenshin that has so many original characters in it, if you changed out the names of the canon ones, you'd never realize that it's not its own series. As for straight up manga, a friend of mine who went on a student exchange program to Japan sent me back one of those annual/semi-annual phone book sized Jump magazines. It certainly took me a while to get through it, though I remember someone on here before saying that Japanese readers down those quickly. I also have a Bleach doujinshi manga and an Inuyasha doujinshi manga. I think that takes care of my non-English collection.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote
I bought the Natsume Yuujinchou novel from Japan because I collect things from the series. I can't read it but I bought it for the artwork.

I doubt it will ever come over here.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
It would actually be sort of nice if it did come out on this side of the Pacific, since Natsume Yuujinchou was released as a manga by Viz. The anime also saw a release. If you don't mind me asking, are you exempt from paying an import tax or customs fee because it’s a piece of printed material? In my case, my doujinshi were bought from American dealers and the magazine I mentioned was a gift so I don't have much experience with importing anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4