• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sports anime recommendation thread.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
I noticed in the Anime Hunting Thread that Sports was not listed as having a recommendation thread. Well, I wanted to fix that. Got permission from Tony K. (cheers mate) so here we are.

Sports Anime has had a sad and ignoble history of flopping overseas, but in Japan it is a well established and very respected genre. Quite a bit of it comes out every year and there is a long and proud record of classic Sports titles stretching way back to Ashita no Joe. This thread is designed to help newcomers to the genre find the better titles to get started on, while also informing seasoned fans of any good titles they may have overlooked.

Since it is customary and polite for the OP to start things off, here are some Sports Anime I personally would recommend:

Chihayafuru - Karuta
This recent title has been making waves and for good reason. Like most people I hadn't even heard of karuta before starting this series, and on first glance it seems like a really strange and childish sport. But with excellent writing and amazing characters, karuta is as gripping as your typical sports such as football (soccer) or tennis or whatever. The music and artistry are also wonderful. This is a very family-friendly show that is suitable for all ages and both genders. Guys, don't let the fact it is also a Josei show put you off, as this is a fantastic Sports Drama that is so consistently strong it is almost freakish (in a good way).

Hikaru no Go - Go
The Manga was so influential it started a new wave of go clubs appearing in universities across Asia. I am pleased to say that the series is no less amazing. It starts off almost without fanfare and looks like it will be strictly for kiddies, but before long you will find yourself hooked, whether you are thirteen or thirty. Even though the average viewer will know almost nothing of the strategies being used the series is no less addictive or engrossing because of that. As with all great Sports series the real drawcard is not necessarily the matches themselves but the people who fight those matches and the motivations and dreams and rivalries that drive them.

Moshidora - Baseball
The premise sounds like the sort of ludicrous thing only Japan could think up; a schoolgirl who manages a highschool baseball team using a book about corporate management. Oh, but this show makes it work like you wouldn't believe. It takes an intelligent, rational and fair-minded approach to the game of baseball. Players and fans are treated with respect and humanity, and statistics and a radical gameplan are used to give the team an edge on opponents. But don't let all that cerebral enjoyment overshadow the way the show can yank your heartstrings like a top-class Drama. It may only be ten episodes long but this is a series that will stay in your mind long after it has finished.

I will recommend more titles later.

I'm also thinking of making an index that will list titles in alphabetical order and then have links to each and every post where someone has recommended that title. Would make oft-recommended titles stand out and provide people with easy access to peoples' thoughts on various titles. We'll see I guess.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quote
Good thread.
Recommending Chihayafuru as well, it's a wonderful series.

Cross Game - Baseball
5th grader Kou Kitamura lives next door to the Tsukishima family, owners of a batting cage and the Clover cafe. His girlfriend, Wakaba, is the 2nd Tsukishima daughter; the 3rd daughter, the baseball prodigy Aoba, can't stand him. Wakaba dreams of Kou pitching at legendary Koshien Stadium, site of the national high school championship finals. However, tragedy strikes, and it is up to Kou, with the help of Aoba and his other teammates, to make Wakaba's dream come true.
This series is an excellent mix of sports, slice of life, drama, some romance and some comedy. The drama never gets soapy, the series doesn't get over the top with any of its themes. You cannot help but routing for the characters.

(If somebody can make a better recommendation, go ahead)
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
(If somebody can make a better recommendation, go ahead)

Thank you for participating. Cross Game is a great Sports series, I'm glad it was mentioned early on.

Even if people feel they can't write a better recommendation they should still at least mention that they like the show anyway; it's not a competition or anything. The goal isn't to have one amazing recommendation for each series. Rather, it is to have multiple recommendations so as to provide readers with plenty of opinions on just why a particular series is worth watching.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
I recommend Princess Nine. It's about the trials and tribulations of a high school all-girls baseball team. Fair warning: I haven't seen this show since I first watched it about seven years ago. I believe it was the first anime series I watched in its entirety after having been introduced to anime by a friend who showed me Legend of the Overfiend. So a good deal of my fond memory of this title may be bound up in the relief at discovering that not all anime was soul-scarring exercises in schoolgirl tentaclization. I bought a used copy of the series not to long ago, but part of me is a little afraid to re-watch just in case it doesn't stand up to my first impression. Nonetheless, I put this forward. I really enjoyed the interaction of the girls, but then again I did see this at a time when I was not familiar with anime tropes, so it may come across as clichéd now.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
As usual, sports anime are generally all about drama with sports as a theme.

I'd recommend Hikaru no Go and Moshidora, too. Both were outstanding series, even though I had no idea what Go was, and don't even know most of the basic rules of baseball.

For football fans I'd recommend the only 2 I've seen:

The incomplete 24 episode long Giant Killing. Which focus on a controversial manager. It had been a while since I had seen anything related to football, and I don't really care for real football matches (so I don't know what a fan of professional football would say), but I really liked it. The character design is a bit weird, although fitting. And it comes with a really good opening.

And the ongoing The Knight in the Area, which centres around the younger brother of a very promising football player (which I believe to be considered the best in Japan).

There really isn't much to pick if you want to watch football, but those 2 are pretty good.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

And the ongoing The Knight in the Area, which centres around the younger brother of a very promising football player (which I believe to be considered the best in Japan).

Oh My, No. Knight in the Area isn't horrible but it isn't good. Cliches, shallow characters, plot holes, contrivances, the art is poor and the animation is often crap (usually slightly better during matches). Watch it only if you're really hurting for some sports anime and can forgive some stupidity

It is also often a soccer rip-off (tribute, to be charitable) of...

Touch - Baseball - a tiny bit of Boxing and Gymnastics
I believe I've read that this is one of the most successful and most watched anime of all time in Japan. Because the ANN summary is so well written I'll just copy that over: The story centers around three characters - Uesugi Kazuya, his twin older brother Tatsuya, and Asakura Minami. Kazuya is the darling of his town as he’s talented, hardworking, and the ace pitcher for his middle school baseball team. Tatsuya is a hopeless slacker who’s been living the life of giving up the spotlight to Kazuya, despite the fact that he may be more gifted than him. Minami is the beautiful childhood girlfriend and for all intents, sister from next door who treats both of them as equals. Society largely assumes Kazuya and Minami will become the perfect couple, including Tatsuya. Yet as time progresses, Tatsuya grows to realize that he’s willing to sacrifice anything for the sake of his brother, except at the expense of giving up Minami to Kazuya. And thus the story is told of Tatsuya trying to prove himself over his established younger brother, how it affects the relationship between the three, and both brothers' attempts to make Minami's lifelong dreams come true.

It's a precursor to Cross Game and I honestly prefer CG but this is definitely a quality show and gets better in the second half when Baseball is a larger focus and Tatsuya stops being such giant jerk (there are times when he is very unlikable)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
I would recommend Suzuka. It has a track and field setting but is actually more of a romantic drama. Despite that running and high-jumping is featured heavily in the series.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Added this to the recommendations index, and will also suggest:

Hajime no Ippo - Boxing
I knew very little, if anything, about the technical aspects of boxing other than the point was for one guy to punch out the other. But wow, they really tell you everything about the sport in this one. As we're introduced to Ippo and progress with him throughout the series, we not only learn the basics and advancements of boxing, but it's a great parallel to his growth as a person as well. In addition, there are loads of great side characters with some of their own sub-plots, too. It's a very masculine series with a lot of guy-humor, a few heart-warming moments (manly heart-warming, that is), and a great balance of action, comedy, and suspense (as implausible as it may be to think through a fight here and there). And how can you go wrong with Tsuneo Imahori doing the soundtrack? I would say this is my 2nd favorite shounen title only to Kenshin, but definitely my favorite sports anime.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Hikaru no Go - Go
The Manga was so influential it started a new wave of go clubs appearing in universities across Asia. I am pleased to say that the series is no less amazing. It starts off almost without fanfare and looks like it will be strictly for kiddies, but before long you will find yourself hooked, whether you are thirteen or thirty. Even though the average viewer will know almost nothing of the strategies being used the series is no less addictive or engrossing because of that. As with all great Sports series the real drawcard is not necessarily the matches themselves but the people who fight those matches and the motivations and dreams and rivalries that drive them.

(*points to avatar*)

I'm always so glad to hear of others' endorsements for the series, I care about it greatly. Needless to say probably, it's my favorite manga series, and near the top of my list for favorite anime. The plot never gets boring (it inspires you to aspire to something, or in the case of HnG, to somebody), there's so much insider info much akin to the amount in, coincidentally another of Takeshi Obata's works, Bakuman. (albeit that a good amount is actually now outdated), the soundtrack is fantastic and helps to keep you engaged.

...Some people regard the series, even moreso the dub with Americans I've found, as being overly serious... I see why someone'd say that, comparitively, however it doesn't allow you to appreciate it the way it can be. My point is, is that if you're going to watch the series, don't act like the characters are being dramatic about everything... That certainly isn't the case, not with life, not with the game of Go, not with Hikaru no Go.

...Now if only Studio Pierrot would release a remastered version onto DVD/Blu-Ray (or Viz Media, as unlikely as it is, rereleases the series onto some sort of complete DVD collection, including Japanese audio with subtitles; iTunes isn't satisfactory, really) and Viz Media gets us the kanzenban editions of the manga, I'll be settled. Wink

Last edited by Tenbyakugon on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I also highly recommend Hikaru no Go. It's great on so many levels, and can be enjoyed with no knowledge of the game of Go.

Nasu: Summer in Andalusia is another great sports anime, though it only has 2 OVAs. It is about a great cycling tournament and really shows all the work and strategy that goes into these races. It also depicts the high level of commitment you have to give to be the best, and how other things precious in your life must be sacrificed if you are truly dedicated to the sport.

Lastly I recommend Initial D. Heart-pounding action with some awesome music to match, watch the legend of Takumi Fujiwara unfold as he goes from midnight tofu delivery man to unbeatable downhill racing expert of Mt. Akina. One of the charms of this series is Takumi is not like most sports leads; he's not obsessed with being the best or getting stronger and he doesn't go looking for fights. His reputation and skills are enough to draw all the fights to him, and when he races he drives with the calmness and the precision of a master. The show is also pretty funny to balance out the tension from the danger, because unlike most sports this one can kill even the best drivers if they slip up.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend Big Windup! as well. I super in-depth look at the psychology in baseball and as to how the game can be played. Major is another nice baseball series. Inuzuma Eleven is a soccer series too although I think more fantasy-ish. (never watched it myself). And their always Eyeshield 21 although the quality really started to drop off towards the later half of the series run. Sorry for the quick post. I'll stop by later with the links and more detail if needed.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
egoist wrote:

Oh My, No. Knight in the Area isn't horrible but it isn't good. Cliches, shallow characters, plot holes, contrivances, the art is poor and the animation is often crap (usually slightly better during matches). Watch it only if you're really hurting for some sports anime and can forgive some stupidity

that's just your or Americans opinion because they hate soccer. I think Knight in the Area is better than Chihayafuru.
I don't even understand the rule in Chihayafuru. I don't even know how/when someone win the match lol. and Chihayafuru is doing horrible in Japan too. I believe Japanese should atleast understand the rules.

Any sports anime that don't clearly explain the rules of that sport is automatically not a good sport anime. But it can still be a good anime if you don't look at the sport side of it.
ChrisH8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I also recommend the Cross Game. The writing is excellent, but I can't say that the production values are top notch.

[url=http://saki.wikia.com/wiki/Saki_(anime)]Saki anime page at the Saki Wiki[/url]
Saki is a very entertaining anime, with high re-watch value. The over the top mahjong action is exciting, although at times unrealistic. Unlike some other sports anime, it features both team and individual tournament play. It's seinen and part of it is a pretty girls high school drama, so it's not dark like other mahjong anime. It'll familiarize you with riichi mahjong and trying to understand what's going on will exercise your brain, otherwise, Saki isn't very enlightening.
IMO, it's one of the few very good anime that has an even better manga.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
that's just your or Americans opinion because they hate soccer. I think Knight in the Area is better than Chihayafuru.

Well I like soccer but I do not like (and would therefore never recommend) The Knight in the Area.

Spotlesseden wrote:
I don't even understand the rule in Chihayafuru. I don't even know how/when someone win the match lol. and Chihayafuru is doing horrible in Japan too. I believe Japanese should atleast understand the rules.

In Karuta the match is over when someone gets twenty-five of the fifty cards. I know this because it was explained to me in the show.

Spotlesseden wrote:
Any sports anime that don't clearly explain the rules of that sport is automatically not a good sport anime. But it can still be a good anime if you don't look at the sport side of it.

This is not true. You do not need to know all the rules (or even most of them) to be able to enjoy the action and the drama, sports or no sports.

Anyway, other recommendations:

Shion no Oh - Shogi
This is a very dark series especially towards the end, and is practically unique in that it is a Sports show and a Mystery show. So while there is action in the shogi matches there is also scheming going on in the shadows, which adds an interesting dimension to the series. The lead character is very cute and you naturally want to cheer for her, and the side characters all fit their roles well. Well worth a watch especially if you want something slightly different and can handle a little bit of Moe.

Giant Killing - Football (Soccer)
Yes this series doesn't really have a proper ending, but it is notable for being about professional football instead of being set in highschool. As such, the players and coaches aren't the only ones who get screentime; people like the board of directors, the PR manager, a sports journalist and the club's hardcore fans are all important. It's refreshing to see grown men instead of teenagers playing, and there is a larger variety of character designs than with many Sports shows.

Initial D - Mountain Pass Racing
This doesn't really seem like a Sports show, as first of all it is an illegal activity and secondly the series is Slice of Life for half the time. But when the battles begin and the eurobeat music starts blaring it is almost impossible not to get wrapped up in the amazing races, which were supervised by drifting legend Keiichi Tsuchiya. Indeed the races resemble dogfights, such is the danger and exhilaration inherent in hurtling down narrow mountain roads at speeds well in excess of the legal limit. May I also say that the first four episodes of season one comprise one of the most impressively-crafted starts to any Anime, ever, let alone a Sports series. The buildup is simply incredible.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I recommend Princess Nine. It's about the trials and tribulations of a high school all-girls baseball team. Fair warning: I haven't seen this show since I first watched it about seven years ago.
I just recently re-watched Princess Nine, and on second viewing, I found the animation terrible. It might not actually be as bad as it seems, because I saw it fresh off the heels of Cross Game and H2. It also lacks a lot of the technical knowledge of baseball that Adachi has, and treats the players more like superheros than ball players (Azuma always catches the ball while standing still, with an outstretched hand, then sends the ball from left field to home plate with only a flick of the wrist). I also noticed a lot of peculiarities that I didn't see when I watched it the first time with my all-anime-is-awesome glasses. For instance, the chairwoman wants to make a girls high school baseball team to compete with boys because women can do anything men can do, but then she matches them against a junior high school team because, in her words, a junior HS team is a better physical match for a girls team. Then in their first game against a full high school team, their coach admits that if they play fair they will lose, so he convinces them that they need to distract the other team by acting ditzy, flaunting their feminine wiles, and flirting the boys into failure rather than trying to play fairly. And these girls, most of whom are supposedly on the team to prove that girls can compete on an even playing field with boys, agree to do it. It also was a lot of Rolling Eyes lines. I can't say I would recommend Princess Nine.

Ashita no Joe was mentioned in the OP, so I want to talk about that briefly. I downloaded fansubs for the first 15ish episodes and forced myself through them. I absolutely could not stand Joe. I seem to recall that when Justin wrote about the show in Buried Treasure that the first chunk of the show, this is how we were supposed to heel about him, but I disliked him so much that even if I were able to find a fansub group that completed the show, I don't think I would even want to finish it. I did see the Tomorrow's Joe movie though, which was ok. I'm glad I saw it because it's a landmark title in anime, but I didn't particularly enjoy it.

As for actual recommendations... You guys already beat me to everything that I intended to talk about! Touch and Cross Game are brilliant and I think everybody should watch them. Fighting Spirit/Hajime no Ippo and Initial D are both series that drew me in from the beginning and kept me interested in the whole way. I've seen Fighting Spirit several times and I keep coming back to it. It's a basic shonen power-up type show, and doesn't do anything spectacularly innovative, but it's a winner. By decision.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3