• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Poke-Matic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
I first saw Pokemon on our local Fox station way back in 1996 (maybe '97?) before syndication on the WB. This was the same year that I was introduced to anime. Yes, I'll give Pokemon the credit that it peaked my interest, but Slayers is the show that got me addicted.

Also wanted to mention that back in the day I too always wondered why Team Rocket's Meowth was the only Pokemon who could talk in the TV series. Low and behold the show actually got around to providing an answer! It was the plot/focus for an entire episode. Sadly, I don't remember the specifics, but I believe that Meowth talks due to his admiration for humans and his want/need to imitate them. He also walks upright for this same reason.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
Also wanted to mention that back in the day I too always wondered why Team Rocket's Meowth was the only Pokemon who could talk in the TV series. Low and behold the show actually got around to providing an answer! It was the plot/focus for an entire episode. Sadly, I don't remember the specifics, but I believe that Meowth talks due to his admiration for humans and his want/need to imitate them. He also walks upright for this same reason.
No, it's because spoiler[he was poor and wanted to impress a rich Meowth-ette].
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
1) THE CREATOR'S REASONS FOR SKIPPING SOME EPS WHICH ARE NOW KNOWN AS "THE BANNED EPSIODES" ARE PLAIN STUPID!!!

2) did they had to americanize it THAT MUCH? i could understand like in season 1 and all but doing it from Advanced Generation to Best Wishes are bumb beyond words. their OP and ED are ten times better than the english opening.

3) there's no official english sub version or an UNCUT english dub version which will unforunately plays into the hands of fansub groups and illegal streamers.

Blaming the show for the dub's stupidity isn't really fair.

Quote:
4) WHY THE HELL IS SATOSHI ( ASH ) IS STILL FREAKING 10 YEARS OLD AFTER 15 YEARS & 5 GENERATIONS OF POKEMON??? it's way too stupid to keep him at that age after all this time.

Whenever I see a complaint like this, I have to scratch my head. It's like people have never watched a cartoon before. Unless it has a plot-important time-skip, none of the characters usually age. Even One Piece's characters stayed the same age for like 14 or so years all for, what, a 2 year skip? Doraemon's pushing 40+ years.
Ted_the_bear2001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
I look back on Pokemon mostly with embarrassment than nostalgia.

what I really credit with getting me into anime though is Dragon Ball Z

Isn't Dragonball Z a little bit similar to Pokemon based on the fighting elements in it? Just saying.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Like many, I grew up with Pokemon. Right from its beginnings with Red and Blue versions.

Saw the TV show (Even back then my brother and I quickly came to the conclusion that Ash was kind of stupid for not seeing through Tam Rocket's disguises and for not having better strategies in battle), saw the movies (Some even made me cry, and I still enjoy Mewtwo's to this day).

I'm still a die-hard fan of many of them, and have plans to get a DS Lite so I can relive my nostalgic first with Heart Gold.

The same can be said of Digimon, though I never played the card game as much as I loved the TV show. Still do, even with the crazy cuts the movie received. (You can imagine my surprise when I saw Summer Wars last year and said, "Hey wait! This is Digimon the Movie!"). Again, like Pokemon, I'll watch it this day.

I have only sporadic memories of it, but I do know I watched Mon Colle Knights with my big brother, along with Monster Ranchers, Medabots, and a smattering of other "classic" shows of the time. Back then we had no clue what we were so enthralled with was Japanese anime-tion, but we loved it all the same.

Somewhere in a binder, I still have part of a news clipping my parents cut out for me years back, featuring Pikachu nibbling on a $100 bill as the writer bespoke of the money trap that was Pokemon. I laughed at it then, and I laugh at it now.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

1) THE CREATOR'S REASONS FOR SKIPPING SOME EPS WHICH ARE NOW KNOWN AS "THE BANNED EPSIODES" ARE PLAIN STUPID!!!

2) did they had to americanize it THAT MUCH? i could understand like in season 1 and all but doing it from Advanced Generation to Best Wishes are bumb beyond words. their OP and ED are ten times better than the english opening.

this is the series that put the horror that will become 4kids Ent on the map

1) Not really. You would really like getting parents upset over James having cleavage? You would like kids sent to the hospital over the Porygon episode? That one actually aired and sent kids to the hospital with seizures FYI. I will give you the Barboach/Whiscash episode though. That should've been aired when repeats were going on.

2) They really didn't Americanize much other than name changes and location changes from the games. The show is pretty much the same. Also; dissing Advanced Battle's and Battle Frontier's openings? Damn. I don't know what to say. I actually prefer them over the Japanese. Heck, I prefer all of the Hoen themes in English over the Japanese. Okay, maybe most of them except for Spurt.

And 3? Oh boy. You are aware that Pokemon was one of, if not, 4Kids' best dub? 4Kids Cast > Pokemon Company cast. Veronica Taylor IS Ash similar to how Rica Matsumoto is Satoshi.

Quote:
The same can be said of Digimon, though I never played the card game as much as I loved the TV show.

Card game was weird. Names were messed up on some cards and it never had set instructions. I just collected the cards and play it like I did Digital Card Battle. Still have my Machinedramon deck in near perfect condition.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
1) Not really. You would really like getting parents upset over James having cleavage? You would like kids sent to the hospital over the Porygon episode? That one actually aired and sent kids to the hospital with seizures FYI. I will give you the Barboach/Whiscash episode though. That should've been aired when repeats were going on.

The Porygon episode is the only episode that actually might be justified in never showing (though it could be altered to prevent the seizure problem easily enough like the fansubs did)

Everything else, well, if parents really are upset at some boobs, sex, and violence, that's their problem. They should just not watch this children's cartoon show if it's too adult for them.

Quote:
2) They really didn't Americanize much other than name changes and location changes from the games. The show is pretty much the same.

So I guess you've never seen both versions then.

Quote:
Also; dissing Advanced Battle's and Battle Frontier's openings? Damn. I don't know what to say. I actually prefer them over the Japanese. Heck, I prefer all of the Hoen themes in English over the Japanese. Okay, maybe most of them except for Spurt.

At least when people say they like the first English opening you can attribute it to their nostalgia.

Quote:
And 3? Oh boy. You are aware that Pokemon was one of, if not, 4Kids' best dub? 4Kids Cast > Pokemon Company cast. Veronica Taylor IS Ash similar to how Rica Matsumoto is Satoshi.

If I had to choose, I'd pick the second voice actually. It at least sounds somewhat like a boy. Veronica Taylor sounded way too much like a girl, and was very squeaky in her roll, especially after like the 10th episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7