• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@Arsenette - Complaining about a MRSP is perfectly valid. What is not valid is to say, "No way I'm paying $70 for that!" when you won't be paying $70. You are creating a false impression by wording a pricing complaint that way.

This. Additionally, it should be noted that Funimation Combo-packs have a MSRP for $69.99 as well. NISA isn't really that much more expensive that the industry norm for brand new combo pack releases, it's just a question of whether you want a barebones release and a dub or subtitles only but a nice box and an hard-cover artbook.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
NIS America products are only sold at certain sites from what I understand.

For the record I bought House of Five Leaves which had an MSRP of about $60 directly from NISA for $47.00.

Since Ano Hana's MSRP is $10.00 more the series should go for about $57.00 on their website (this will include freee shipping and a bonus gift most likely). '

I guess I just don't see how NISA's products are more expensive than other companies. For Ano Hana it is coming with the DVD & BR plus a really nice box (it's good material, I can tell you from experience) & a hard cover art book. If anything the price is a steal to me.

Although I know it's not right to argue about price and for everyone it's going to be different what price they think is worth it or not. I complained about too high prices for other series too (not so recentlly for Madoka). But I guess everyone has their own price limit which is understandable.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Avar928

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I love NIS releases and am very glad they picked up AnoHana. I had a feeling they would get it since they did ToraDora and it fits their style of releases I'd say.

I have no concerns with their quality and think that their quality service is impeccable. Quick response and resolution for issues (ToraDora release Volume 1, a bit iffy animation video quality on some episodes but nothing to prevent you from completing it enjoyably) and let everyone know and sent out replacement DVDs for those who wanted it. I now have two sets of ToraDora volume 1 dvds for the price of one set o.o

Good job NIS! Keep pumping them out! THE IDOLMASTER NEXT PLEASE!!!

+ Edit:

Funimation should save their money and license Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari already DAMN IT. And release the To Aru series already!!! They have the licenses what the heck are they waiting for?! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Avar928, I think you and I agree on quite a bit here Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
Blood- wrote:
@Arsenette - Complaining about a MRSP is perfectly valid. What is not valid is to say, "No way I'm paying $70 for that!" when you won't be paying $70. You are creating a false impression by wording a pricing complaint that way.

You just said before that using MSRP is ludicrous so which is it? Now it's okay? The base of the item is too high period. There will be retailers out there that place it at that price point. Telling others "you won't be paying that" when the base to begin with is too high. It's like bitching at people who turn around and say "well I bought it for 30% off" and still paid $50 bucks for 11 episodes.. if the MSRP wasn't so high.. 30% off would seem like a deal when it should have been the MSRP to begin with.

Why are you having so much trouble understanding a simple concept? What I said was ludicrous was pretending you would be paying MSRP - i.e. saying, "No way I'm paying $70 for that." If you think the MSRP is too high, that's your business. Just don't go around pretending that $70 would be coming out of your wallet. If you still don't understand my point after this, I really have no idea how to make the concept any simpler for you.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
[
You just said before that using MSRP is ludicrous so which is it? Now it's okay? The base of the item is too high period. There will be retailers out there that place it at that price point. Telling others "you won't be paying that" when the base to begin with is too high. It's like bitching at people who turn around and say "well I bought it for 30% off" and still paid $50 bucks for 11 episodes.. if the MSRP wasn't so high.. 30% off would seem like a deal when it should have been the MSRP to begin with.

As I pointed out in another post...both Sentai and Funimation also put the MSRP of some of their blu-ray releases at $70. That's really no different than NISA putting their BD releases at $70.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Arsenette wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Why are you having so much trouble understanding a simple concept? What I said was ludicrous was pretending you would be paying MSRP - i.e. saying, "No way I'm paying $70 for that." If you think the MSRP is too high, that's your business. Just don't go around pretending that $70 would be coming out of your wallet. If you still don't understand my point after this, I really have no idea how to make the concept any simpler for you.

Now you are being condescending. I have seen MSRP as the price even if you didn't. The MSRP is too high for 11 episodes.

Here is a perfect example:
http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Nana-Uncut-Box-Set-1/e/782009239611/?pwb=1&

That base is too high for what it is as well. So no. Arguing about MSRP being too high is not a problem.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:

Now you are being condescending. I have seen MSRP as the price even if you didn't. The MSRP is too high for 11 episodes.

Here is a perfect example:
http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Nana-Uncut-Box-Set-1/e/782009239611/?pwb=1&

That base is too high for what it is as well. So no. Arguing about MSRP being too high is not a problem.

That's a DVD only release so that's not a valid comparison.

But, it seems now that you're complaining that the MSRP set by the distributors is too high no matter what?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
@ Arsenette - Laughing I have been saying that arguing an MRSP is too high is perfectly valid. Do you get that? I'm AGREEING with that point. Laughing What I'm saying - and what you cannot, for love or money, process - is that you can't with validity claim that the MRSP price will come out of your pocket. It won't - unless you are a total, complete moron who doesn't know how to order items online. Laughing Condescension is my habitual attitude toward anyone who cannot understand incredibly simple concepts.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Arsenette - Laughing I have been saying that arguing an MRSP is too high is perfectly valid. Do you get that? I'm AGREEING with that point. Laughing What I'm saying - and what you cannot, for love or money, process - is that you can't with validity claim that the MRSP price will come out of your pocket. It won't - unless you are a total, complete moron who doesn't know how to order items online. Laughing Condescension is my habitual attitude toward anyone who cannot understand incredibly simple concepts.

I just proved your point invalid about retailers going with MSRP as pricing.. and no I don't give a damn if you are known for being condescending. It's shouldn't be a badge of honor or a point of pride. Just teaches me to just now teaches me that ANN forums is filled with trolls who prefer putting people down for valid arguments.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I just proved your point invalid about retailers going with MSRP as pricing.. and no I don't give a damn if you are known for being condescending. It's shouldn't be a badge of honor or a point of pride. Just teaches me to just now teaches me that ANN forums is filled with trolls who prefer putting people down for valid arguments.

Laughing You proved nothing. Your link takes me to a webpage showing that Barnes & Noble is offering a Nana boxset at a 9 per cent discount compared to MRSP. Yes, discounts will vary from retailer to retailer, that's why it pays to comparison shop. Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
If you dislike the price, wait until the standard edition becomes available. If you want anime quickly, you'd best be prepared to pay the price.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Tsukasa, I have not seen this bad acting you claim is so present within anime dubbing these days. I would like some PROOF (and I mean real proof, not cherry-picked dubs everyone thinks are terrible) of this.

Not to mention, I find your complete disregard for the amout of work these actors place into their trade to be grossly dis-respectful and uttterly callous.

I appreciate their work and yet I don't is more accurate. It feels as if there are some shows that drive their motivation and some don't, a lot of which can often be seen through by comparing the original Japanese dub with the English dub.

I've listed some examples below of what I personally found as good or bad English dubs. You can go and view them at your own pleasure and rate them yourselves.

Good/Better examples:
-Shinesman (so damn hilarious in a good way too)
-Fullmetal Alchemist
-Ghost in the Shell
-Dragon Ball Z (because it was hilarious despite poor translation)
-Romeo x Juliet (expected, but still good nonetheless)
-Digimon Adventure 01 and 02
-Gundam Wing
-Black Lagoon
-Cowboy Bebop
-Hellsing
-BECK (without a doubt one of my most favorite dubs)
-Yu Yu Hakusho
-Code Geass (though nothing can beat Fukuyama, Sakurai, and Wakamoto combination in the Japanese dub)
-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
-Shaman King (japanese still better and more epic too)
-Baccano!
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
-Great Teacher Onizuka

As for examples of bad:
-Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha + A's
-Crest of the Stars/Seikai no Monshou
-Karin
-Sailor Moon (4Kids)
-Card Captor Sakura (4Kids)
-Gundam Seed and Destiny
-Zeta Gundam
-D. Gray-Man
-Green Green
-Bleach
-Naruto
-Kino's Journey
-Golgo 13 (I was very disappointed. This had so much potential)
-ef
-Galaxy Angel (and the Japanese dub was already bad as is...)
-Ah! My Goddess
-Ceres
-Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (4Kids)
-Fairy Tail
-Shugo Chara!
-G Gundam (especially when compared to its Japanese counterpart)
-Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
-Shakugan no Shana
-Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
-Macross II
-Love Hina
-Ranma 1/2
-Transformers Headmasters
-Kannazuki no Miko
-Tokyo Mew Mew

Anyways, both of these lists can possibly go on as I'm listing off what I recall from the top of my head at the moment. To be fair though, all I'm asking is for dubs to just get above the Digimon Adventure 01 and 02 mark and this is early 2000s we're talking about. To see a lot of shows get the short end of the stick treatment has been really disappointing especially considering I'm a strong supporter/buyer of R1 material. I feel a bulk of my investments is going to waste for what seems to be a dying industry in the US.

I also feel that as of late and particularly Funimation, they're just rushing to put a dub together so that they can sell it as soon as possible. Sora no Otoshimono seems like it was a recent victim of this along with Sekirei whereas Soul Eater fared better.

Quote:
+ Edit:

Funimation should save their money and license Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari already DAMN IT. And release the To Aru series already!!! They have the licenses what the heck are they waiting for?! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

I see Aniplex USA as the more likely candidate, which means overpriced box sets...

Quote:
THE IDOLMASTER NEXT PLEASE!!!

Likely a Bandai title since Namco owns the game. Though, I'd much prefer to see them bring the various games over instead.

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the Shakugan no Shana dub myself, but SnS was literally the first anime I ever watched knowing it was anime, so I've got my Nostalgia goggles on. I also don't see why everyone like Rie Kugimiya so much, but that's just me.

I will agree with you on what you consider to be good dubs, however. I will retract my statement of you heing a weeaboo. I don't see eye-to-eye with you, but I do resect your opinion and your ability to calmly express that opinion (something I have trouble doing, as you may have seen).
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
If you dislike the price, wait until the standard edition becomes available. If you want anime quickly, you'd best be prepared to pay the price.

Thank you I will do so. I hope they have a standard edition in the works. If they say that this is not selling.. they might not. I'll hope for that standard edition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12